FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Oct 16, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #1,561 of 1,737
my e5's volume control is broken. the volume is now stuck at max (thankfully) and i cannot lower it.
im not gonna send it back to china for repair for obvious reasons.
has anyone faced this problem and fixed it? i'm scared to open it and take a look inside since it is still kinda working. =p

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #1,562 of 1,737
So, i have not used it. So i probably shouldnt say anything yet. But the Fiio E3 is tiny, seems very cheap. (it is.. $7 dollars)

I got it free from Fang at head-direct (thanks) with my new OK2 i just got today. Im exited.

Basically it feels very cheap and so lightweight im curious if its output really is an improvement over the Ipod classic 80GB.

Also, last question is how does the E5 feel in comparison. the pics it looks aluminum or something. I want it to be durable cuz the E3 looks like it would break really easy. Can some of you owners comment.

Thanks

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #1,563 of 1,737
I would have done a edit instead of a double post but Im on my cell n the browser is acting lame right now. usually works like magic.

I was hoping some of you E5 owners could tell me its exact demensions. I want to get a good fit with my ipod classic.

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #1,564 of 1,737
Just received my E5, unfortunately it was defective (it does not charge), have no idea what to do with it...

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #1,565 of 1,737
Got my E5 yesterday. Charged it up, and put it into my set up. You can see my mobile set up in my signature. The whole time I've listened to my Grado SR80is I've thought they sounded amazing, but were lacking a bit in bass; so, I bought the E5. With the E5 in my set up, mids and highs sound the same, and if I turn up the volume too much on the amp I notice some graininess, but barely. Easily fixable by keeping the volume level of the amp at a lower level and adjusting volume through the source instead.

Now, for what I wanted, it works perfectly. I am very happy with it, especially for what I paid. It made a noticeable increase in the bass, yet, the bass still sounds direct and clean, its not over powered or muddy sounding bass. Its just deeper, more noticeable, more enveloping bass. So for anyone wanting a bit more bass, while preserving the sound quality of everything else, this is great. I recommend it as a great starter level headphone amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #1,567 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I use E5 on my laptop I keep it on usb at all times so that I won't have to charge. Is this safe?

I doubt there's anything dangerous about it, as it's probably pulling really low current. But you may be ruining the battery. A lithium battery has a certain number of charge and discharge cycles. If the E5 isn't designed to run plugged in without drawing from the battery, you are going to be constantly charging and discharging the battery, which will cause it to quit working over a fairly short amount of time. You might want to to send an email to Fiio and ask if they recommend doing that.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #1,568 of 1,737
I removed the battery from E5 and it is still working when connected to usb, that means it doesn't use battery while connected.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #1,569 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maeglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I removed the battery from E5 and it is still working when connected to usb, that means it doesn't use battery while connected.

How do you take the battery out? Can anyone do it?

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #1,570 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you take the battery out? Can anyone do it?

Well i basically opened it up and disconnected wires from the battery. Battery itself isn't connected to anything.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #1,571 of 1,737
Quote:

Well i basically opened it up and disconnected wires from the battery. Battery itself isn't connected to anything.

Photos?

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #1,572 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardozo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Photos?

Sure, but I cant take a shot of battery since I dumped it, as it shown signs of leakage. Battery was just put in that empty space above the board.

Sorry for bad quality, didn't have tame to make it right.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #1,574 of 1,737
Quote:

Sure, but I cant take a shot of battery since I dumped it, as it shown signs of leakage. Battery was just put in that empty space above the board.

Sorry for bad quality, didn't have tame to make it right.

I love this amp and it seems well done inside. Thanks for sharing!

Peter

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #1,575 of 1,737
I had my E5 for few months now, recently I hear quite some hiss from it using both my PFE and UM3X. at first I suspect it is noise from my sources (5800XM and Clip+) but it wasn't the source (tried plug earphones directly to source or plug earphone to E5 without connect to a source and hiss is there with or without a source) what does that sounds like to you ? btw the hiss is stronger as I turn the volume on E5 up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back