FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
May 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #1,366 of 1,737
this is frustrating.

I just unpacked my newly delivered e5, only to have the volume-up button not working. volume down works, and every thing else seems to do fine. but volume up just isnt working.

it says to fully charge and use, which is what i am doing right now. Hope it works fine in the end.

anyone else have problems with the volume slider?

May 12, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #1,367 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the E5's work great with my Sennheiser HD 555? It's the 50 ohm version and I would like to know if that combo is worth it. Thanks in advance.

I think the E5's bass boost works very, very well with the 555s -- it sort of "fills in" what's missing (to my ears). However, the 555s do perfectly well unamped. The E5 doesn't hurt, though.

May 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #1,368 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested in one as well... I mailed FiiO about my E3 review, but never got a response.

Thanks for that! I had tried it because, well, another review said it seemed to be a "copy" of the XIN SuperMini in style, which really had me curious, and the cost is nothing to cause anxiety to be sure.

Unfortunately I lost mine in the gym last night, whoopsie! The battery had died so I disconnected it, and it must have fallen out of my pocket! Argh!

Oh well, I just ordered a few more, a couple spares as gifts for my trainer and gym recruiter, since between them getting me in there and agreeing to work the program, I've lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks, and 3 of those days were with the enjoyment of the fiiO E3 (the E5 hasn't arrived yet).

As for your review, I would concur. You're spot on accurate. I can confirm that the v-moda bass freq, the JVC HA-FX300R and Phonak Audeo PFE behave as you describe in your review with the E3 Amp.

I didn't have a chance to test with the E3 and my full arsenal of IEMs...

I'll do a comprehensive comparison when the E5 comes in.

OH, and another nod to your respectability after reading your discriminating reviewing standards, I decided to get the iBasso T4 for the Bass Boost funcitonality (plus that liquid silver look on your photo of your rig had me envious a tad bit, joking!)

I just think it hits the right price point and am quite aware you wouldn't waste your time purchasing crap. Thanks for being a standards based reviewer.

Best

May 14, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #1,369 of 1,737
Thank you for your kind words.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #1,371 of 1,737
I've never had the E5 die on me so I can't comment on it, but if it's like the E3 when it dies, it'll start "clipping" at higher volumes. You can reduce the volume to continue using it; it'll eventually start doing the same thing at the volume you're using it at until you change the battery. I don't know if the E5 just shuts off; like I say I've never run the battery that low (and I use it for 8 or 9 hours a day straight).

May 15, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #1,372 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameprey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the E5's bass boost works very, very well with the 555s -- it sort of "fills in" what's missing (to my ears). However, the 555s do perfectly well unamped. The E5 doesn't hurt, though.

My exact feeling
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #1,373 of 1,737
fiio E5 can drive up to 300 ohms, does this mean it can drive dt880 250 ohms (2005)??

May 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #1,377 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by anna_1104 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this start to distort when the battery is dying or does it just shut off?

Mine just shut off. Actually, I wish there was some type of low battery warning, as I'd prefer not to run it down to shut off. As a result, I now recharge/top off more frequently.

...Adding, first post in this thread -- just want to say what a great little amp this is and worth every penny. Now if someone would just incorporate it into a high quality player as a single unit...

May 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #1,378 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by cLy_eVo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fiio E5 can drive up to 300 ohms, does this mean it can drive dt880 250 ohms (2005)??

No even the Headsix (160$) can't drive it.

I got one on ebay for 10$ and it works perfectly. I use it on my plasma TV (which doesn't have any headphone output) and it works great.

May 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #1,379 of 1,737
Am sitting here with the plans for the FIIO E7 in my hot little hands and it looks fantastic. According to the blurb it will have better sound quality, better and longer battery life (rechargable), smaller and cheaper.
I cannot go past the E5 in terms of sound quality but I am looking forward to what FIIO will produce.

Our stocks of E5 and E3 and selling faster than any other brand, it's all good

May 18, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #1,380 of 1,737
Smaller and cheaper than E5? Eh? Wasn't E7 their desktop amp?
Sorry, I may be misreading your post, geob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back