FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Apr 17, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #1,336 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correction: E7 is planned for June / July release, but no solid date yet. It will be a small desktop DAC/AMP targeting as notebook internal soundcard replacement / upgrade.

Also, a silver color E5 is planned for release next month. Last but not least, an E1 model is also said to be under development, but no detail yet.

No kidding? I'm very interested to see what FiiO does to make a cheap DAC.

E1? The E3 is already dirt cheap! Are they going to be giving these away?
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #1,337 of 1,737
Anybody's E5 take about 2-3 after turning it on for it to "settle in"?
Everytime I turn it on to play, it will glitch around (sound does not come out at full volume, and sometimes it will just cut put). After 2-3 minutes though, it would work nicely.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #1,338 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody's E5 take about 2-3 after turning it on for it to "settle in"?
Everytime I turn it on to play, it will glitch around (sound does not come out at full volume, and sometimes it will just cut put). After 2-3 minutes though, it would work nicely.

Sounds like yours is buggered, mine works perfectly.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #1,339 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayeshrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im getting mine next month... if by then you have'nt ordered your e5 by then ill tell you if its worth it.. if you get yours first, you tell me...
biggrin.gif

aw, it looks like amazon can't ship the E5 to australia, and i'll only buy em for $50 at the store if i know they'll be worth it.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #1,340 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by squib323 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aw, it looks like amazon can't ship the E5 to australia, and i'll only buy em for $50 at the store if i know they'll be worth it.

Why not buy buy it from DealExtreme? They might be a bit slow but they do ship just about everywhere and cost less than US$20.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #1,341 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not buy buy it from DealExtreme? They might be a bit slow but they do ship just about everywhere and cost less than US$20.

Yep, same for Focalprice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #1,343 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like yours is buggered, mine works perfectly.

Say, have you tried the HD555s with the E5? I have a Fuze and was thinking of getting an E5 to boost the bass with the fuze a bit.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #1,344 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameprey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say, have you tried the HD555s with the E5? I have a Fuze and was thinking of getting an E5 to boost the bass with the fuze a bit.

I've used my HD555's with my E5 and my Sansa E250 on occasion, I think they sound quite nice together and the setup has plenty of volume (much to the chagrin of my roommates
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #1,346 of 1,737
I had recently gotten an E5 via eBay and let me tell you, for such a small price, I was not expecting the soundstage expansion I got especially with Shure e2's and futuresonics. Not a bad buy at all. (Note: this was without the bass switched on)

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #1,347 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be worth it to add a fiio e5 to a fuze used with soundmagic-pl30 and ksc75?

I would like to know as well. I'm new to this whole amp thing.
confused_face.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #1,348 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gambit61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to know as well. I'm new to this whole amp thing.
confused_face.gif

Well been using the PL30 with the E5 and the two do work good with each other, but the PL30 sound just as good without it.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #1,349 of 1,737
My E5 arrived last week and I have used it regularly since then. The only other headphone amp I have is a PodRock-It, which I got on ebay for around $42/shipped. From having read the specs and the reviews here, I fully expected the E5 to blow the PodRock-It away. It didn't. At least not volume-wise. (Features-wise is another matter. There the scales definitely tip heavily towards the E5.)

I'm using a Sony NWZ-E438 as the source (although I have 2 8gb Sansa Clips), with Sennheiser PX-100's, Grado SR-60's, and/or Koss PortaPro's. And as others have posted, the output from Sony mp3 players is pretty pathetic.

When I'm using the PodRock-It and have the volume on that up to the max, I can't play the Sony beyond 20. And it's loud. With the E5 on max, I have to crank up the Sony to 27-29 (30 is the max). And while it's strong, it doesn't really drive any of the headphones I have the same way as the PodRock-It. And also, it seems like there's a little more distortion/the sound is more strained than punchy. It does, however, at least allow me to use the Sony with my favorite headphones, which is simply not possible with the Sony alone.

The E5 is a nice, small compact lightweight size. And despite what others have said about the clip, I like it. And I like the fact that you can charge it while still listening to it. Battery life seems decent, although not exceptional. And even though others have said the accompanying mini-mini IC cords are useless, I've used both the short and the longer one w/o any problems.

The bass boost is subtle. It makes some songs sound better, some songs muddy, and no big difference on others. Depending on what kind of mood I'm in, sometimes I have it on, other times not.

I'm waiting for an XM4 that I won on ebay, and given all the features on that amp, I'm expecting it to be better than either the E5 or the PodRock-It. I'll report back after it's burned in and I have a chance to put it through its paces.

UPDATE (4-25-09): The XM4 arrived today. I charged it up (via the optional Li-Ion fast charging system) and have been listening to it all day. At first I kept it at the standard gain setting, with bass boost on and crossfeed off. With those settings and the XM4 set to max volume, I had to kick the Sony's volume up to around 25. Then I tried it with the XM4's 10db gain boost option engaged, and only had to set the Sony's volume to 16, and the XM4 at 75%. I know the gain is mainly designed to deal with high impedence headphones, but given the Sony's anemic output it makes sense to me to use the 10db gain option. I don't hear any increased noise floor level listening through the Koss PortaPro's or the Grado SR60's. I'm really lovin this XM4 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back