FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Jan 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #1,021 of 1,737
Have been using my recently acquired Fiio E5 with both grado sr225 and shure se-210. I have also used the Fiio E3 with both, and the E5 concerning hiss it is a big improvement compared with E3.

The E3 just hisses as mad, with se-210 is quite unbearable, and it didn't really give anything good to it, however the E5 gives more life to my se-210.

After listening to a long session with my sr225 un-amped, trying the se-210 unamped disappoints me. I can't use the grados to sleep, but using the E5 with se-210 just brings them back to life. Well once you go full size you can't get back ^^ (maybe the se-530 are on a different league, but I doubt they are comparable to some full sized as sr225 or reference series) Plus the bass boost matches perfectly with the se-210 as they lack a bit of punch. On the other hand using it on the sr225 doesn't do much. Its bass is quite controlled and punchy already

I have one little complaint, it is with the sound volume control. It sometimes doesn't work when using my right thumb, however using my left thumb gives good result
biggrin.gif
I thought I could send it back to Dealextreme, but won't bother unless it stops working, regardless what thumb i use ^^

Now price on Dealextreme 19.50$ Free shipping

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,022 of 1,737
Hmm having volume control problems again. Has Anyone faced the same problem? Pressing - Volume works perfectly, however pressing +volume doesn't always work. I sometimes don't get good response, and the volume won't go up. Can it happen if it has low battery?
Charging the amp again, lets see if it goes wrong again...

If it keeps working bad I shall exchange it for one unit that works good... Has anyone send back any product to Dx in exchange for one that works good? did you have any probs with it?

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #1,023 of 1,737
no probs here yet, touch wood, and am surpised at the gain range, some comments i have seen said it hardly had any range, so i was expecting not very much, but its adequate here for archos7 movie use.

lets hope the cheapish volume buttons dont fail to early like Bullseye is alluding to.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #1,024 of 1,737
Well, I've had my E5 for about three weeks. I've used it daily (office, biking, and hiking) with the headphone out and with a LOD on a 1st gen iPod nano. It has worked just fine until today, and now it's totally dead - no output at all.
frown.gif

The battery is fully charged. I've changed out the cable between the iPod and the E5, and no change at all. Still totally dead. I'm gonna let the battery run totally down then recharge it and see if that makes any difference.

I haven't had any volume control problems as Bullseye mentioned above, but I've tried running the volume up and down, and no change.

(Oh, and the iPod's headphone out and line out are fine - good output from both of those...)

Anyone else out there with a dead E5? Anyone dealt with customer service at dealextreme?

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #1,025 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've had my E5 for about three weeks. I've used it daily (office, biking, and hiking) with the headphone out and with a LOD on a 1st gen iPod nano. It has worked just fine until today, and now it's totally dead - no output at all.
frown.gif

The battery is fully charged. I've changed out the cable between the iPod and the E5, and no change at all. Still totally dead. I'm gonna let the battery run totally down then recharge it and see if that makes any difference.

I haven't had any volume control problems as Bullseye mentioned above, but I've tried running the volume up and down, and no change.

(Oh, and the iPod's headphone out and line out are fine - good output from both of those...)

Anyone else out there with a dead E5? Anyone dealt with customer service at dealextreme?

Well thats a shame. I doubt Dealextreme would be able to do anything for you since they're just a retailer. You could try contacting Fiio, though I'm not sure how well their customer service serves their customers since they're in a foreign country.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #1,027 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick pic of my E5 with the clip removed. Recommend this mod as you save so much wasted space

tack03.jpg

Did you just unscrew the clip? Were there any unsightly holes that you had to cover up somehow?

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #1,029 of 1,737
I use the clip to seamlessly attach the E5 to my Sansa's silicone case (via the heretofore useless arm-strap slits in its back) and then just-as-seamlessly remove it when I'd rather go ampless...so the clip is staying for me too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #1,030 of 1,737
So I'm very confused.
Can i connect the e5 to my usb on my laptop, then also have them directly plugged into my headphone out slot on my laptop then plug my headphones into my e5?

I mean it's not a soundcard or anything so will it still make my d2000 or ms1 sound better?

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #1,031 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm very confused.
Can i connect the e5 to my usb on my laptop, then also have them directly plugged into my headphone out slot on my laptop then plug my headphones into my e5?

I mean it's not a soundcard or anything so will it still make my d2000 or ms1 sound better?

The usb is used for charging, nothing else. I'm not sure if you can charge it while having it on and playing music through it. Most likely not.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #1,032 of 1,737
Yes, you can charge it via USB while connect it to your PC headphone-out.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #1,034 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you just unscrew the clip? Were there any unsightly holes that you had to cover up somehow?

There is a hole, made a cover for it using a dremel and the metal from the clip, epoxied it in place. Aso sanded down the clamp thing that makes the clip stay on, but the amp got hot from the powersander so didnt bother all the way down. I hate bulky stuff, i've tried rubber bands and giant cases and silicon cases and whatnot, but in the end nothing worked as wekk as poster tack and then the clip is just in the way. Coupled with my tiny LOD it makes for a heck of a low profile setup

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...oogemclod2.jpg

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #1,035 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a hole, made a cover for it using a dremel and the metal from the clip, epoxied it in place. Aso sounded down the clamp thing that makes the clip stah on, but the amp got hot from thepowersander so didnt bother all the way down. I hate bulky stuff, i've tried rubber bands and giant cases and silicon cases and whatnot, but in the end nothing worked as wekk as poster tack and then the clip is just in the way. Coupled with my tiny LOD it makes for a heck of a low profile setup

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...oogemclod2.jpg

A lively sunday evening my fellow norwegian?
biggrin.gif

Or maybe just a tad tired?
wink.gif

How do you experience the sound when using a lod compared to the headphone out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back