FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Jan 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #1,051 of 1,737
So let me just run by some things with you guys.
1)It has volume control
2)A lot of hiss so resistance adapter is used with low imp iems
3) Where's the best place to buy this?

I also dont really understand the digital volume control and how it works? all i want is to use it as a volume control for my dac magic as the volumes too loud? Will the volume control on the fiio be able to reduce the volume? Sorry if it seems like a daft question.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #1,053 of 1,737
Got the last of my E5 order from Mp4Nation. Judging from the serial number, I think it belongs to the second batch of production. The only visible difference b/w the first and second batch is the white plastic parts. The white plastic on the second batch is very slightly darker (have to see real close to notice). Sonic wise, they are identical.

IMP3-04.jpg

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #1,054 of 1,737
I guess they also have the option of having their branded?
Too bad there's no Head-Fi version lol.

@qib
I bought mine from Head-Direct and received it very quickly.
(Next-day for me, since we're both in NY.)

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #1,055 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by qib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So let me just run by some things with you guys.
1)It has volume control
2)A lot of hiss so resistance adapter is used with low imp iems
3) Where's the best place to buy this?

I also dont really understand the digital volume control and how it works? all i want is to use it as a volume control for my dac magic as the volumes too loud? Will the volume control on the fiio be able to reduce the volume? Sorry if it seems like a daft question.

I would not say it has alot of hiss. It is barely audible and is MUCH less than the FIIO E3. It easily has the least amount of hiss for a portable amp this in-expensive.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #1,056 of 1,737
Well, I don't know about IEMs, but I don't hear any hissing from my OK2's at normal listening volume, and IIRC their impedance is something like 16 ohms.

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #1,059 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey Clie, when did you order that from mp4nation and when did it ship?

I posted my little story in this thread before . In short, I was one of the first to order E5 from Mp4Nation when it was first released back in Dec 2008, but my shipping address was messed up by someone (not necessary by Mp4Nation's) and my shipment never arrived. After a few emails to follow up with Mp4Nation, they agree to send me a new package a weeks ago. Kudos for their customer service
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #1,062 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by jweather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for the double post but Im thinking of getting one of these, is it worth it? i have a 3rd gen nano (not the best) and triple.fi 10, will this amp help?

Adding E5 via LOD might sound different from headphone-out of of Nano, but I won't expect any major improvement.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #1,063 of 1,737
I am a bit confused.
Will the E5 be a good addition if I am just using the headphone out on my ipod 2nd gen?
I plan on using it with the Phonak Audeo PFE.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #1,064 of 1,737
Get yourself the Phonak first and have a listen. If you like the combination than there is no reason to put any amp in between.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #1,065 of 1,737
I don't detect any hiss when using my HD565 or AD700. Can't speak for IEMs though.

I think the E5 gave a vast improvement to both these phones. My opinion is that any amp is better than no amp at all, and with the E5 size and cost, its tough to go wrong. If you feel like you don't need it, sell it here, you'll maybe be out 5 bucks total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back