FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Aug 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #1,501 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't wait for reading your write up. I want to know did you ever hook E5 to HD 600? How about it to boost the high impedance phones? Thanks.

I'm terribly sorry about the long wait, I've managed to test and write little bits during the past few weekends, but I'm just so overcome by my studies and work. I've let you people down, by not finishing my reviews of the E5 and the CX 380 Sport II, but I'll deliver, today I have the whole evening to write up, and also some parts of the weekend, so expect the review very soon. This time for real. I apologize to those who have been waiting for my review.

I did hook the E5 to my HD 650 and to my D2000, as a sneakpeek I'll tell you that the performance of the E5 with both those big phones, the other high- and the other low-impedance, isn't too shabby, actually it does great IMHO.

I'll get to work now, and by sunday, you'll hear all about my experiences of the past couple months. Cheers.

EDIT. here we are, I took my time, but I'm happy that I got the document done
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cx-...review-442546/

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #1,502 of 1,737
Hi everyone. I'm new to head-fi, but I've been crawling on here while I was researching what headphones to get for the ~$100 price range. I finally decided on a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, and have been listening to them almost non-stop for about a week.

I thought about getting a Cmoy amp from eBay, but then I saw the FiiO E5 on Amazon. It looked just like my brother's iPod Shuffle, had a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, and I saw graphs from http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/p...roduct-382627/.

That is when I decided to take the "plunge" and order one for $17.42 USD on DealExtreme. I hope it comes in soon since I've been using my Creative SBS340 speakers to drive my headphones, and while it sounds better than using just my sound card, it still sounds like crap.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #1,503 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricelord4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone. I'm new to head-fi, but I've been crawling on here while I was researching what headphones to get for the ~$100 price range. I finally decided on a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, and have been listening to them almost non-stop for about a week.

I thought about getting a Cmoy amp from eBay, but then I saw the FiiO E5 on Amazon. It looked just like my brother's iPod Shuffle, had a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, and I saw graphs from http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/p...roduct-382627/.

That is when I decided to take the "plunge" and order one for $17.42 USD on DealExtreme. I hope it comes in soon since I've been using my Creative SBS340 speakers to drive my headphones, and while it sounds better than using just my sound card, it still sounds like crap.

A warm welcome to Head-Fi!

The E5 is a very good place to start your journey into the world of proper audio enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

Please do tell us of your experiences with the amp, once you get familiar with it, cheers.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #1,505 of 1,737
First post! In fact, registered today
biggrin.gif

I got myself a Fiio E5 a few months back after reading reviews and suggestions online.
Today, by chance, I was searching for specs again, and I noticed that on my box, it said:
Quote:

Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 100KHz

But the new specs says:
Quote:

Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 60KHz

Did anyone else noticed the change? Does anyone know if there is any difference in product quality? Yes, it is a cheap toy amp, but I'd have to lose it and have to replace with one of lesser spec... (Yes, I'm fully aware I won't be able to hear 35KHz of my headphones, let along the 60KHz new specs, as well as the 100KHz old specs, but I'm a bit of a geek like that with specs)

Edit:
PS: Can't wait for E7!

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #1,506 of 1,737
Thanks Jaawa and Kpalsm for the warm welcome! I'll definitely comment on how I think of it. Who knows, it might end up being on FiiO's website for product reviews?

Andy: Maybe the product demos were also 100 Hz, and you just happened to get one? Either way, I hope that you enjoy em!

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #1,507 of 1,737
Quote:

Andy: Maybe the product demos were also 100 Hz, and you just happened to get one? Either way, I hope that you enjoy em!

I don't think I was lucky enough to get a product demo unit... After all, it's been so long since product release
tongue.gif
And the manufacture website did say 100KHz for quite some time as well, really have no idea what happened there. Google cache actually shows August 21st copy for the official product page, and it showed 100KHz still!

I enjoy them, yes, but only when I'm out and using iPhone as source -- crappy/mediocre source doesn't exactly get better with toy amp though
tongue.gif
-- but when I'm at home, I use my Super Pro USB DAC 707 instead... Much more of a
o2smile.gif
experience
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #1,508 of 1,737
I check FiiO Chinese site and it said 100kHz, but the English site said 60kHz. In any case, I don't think it really matters which is more correct.

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #1,510 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those "specs" are complete bullsh*t. The E5 rolls off above 20kHz just like most other amps. Not that it matters, especially on a portable player that has rolled off treble as well.

Roll off, but at that rate (<-2dB from 10kHz to 40kHz) it is not very significant, especially if you consider anything further up from 20kHz is not that important.

However, I do agree that most spec are complete trash.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #1,511 of 1,737
Hi all!

Like Ricelord I have been trawling a bit recently around various audiophile sites looking for some advice on decent, cheap (ah the student life) in ear headphones for my Creative Zen.

Ended up plumping for the Sennheiser CX500's, only cost me £17. Good choice?

On topic, I was wondering would there be any real advantage of hooking up an E5 to these earphones and mp3 player? Will probably get a Sansa Clip pretty soon too, what about for that player?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #1,512 of 1,737
Quote:

I have HD 280s and realised soon after buying them that they have an extremely neutral sound and while the bass is very accurate it didn't pack the punch it should have. I bought the E3 and shortly after that the E5. The E5 certainly does the trick and also makes these cans less fatiguing. The bass has more punch but never gets muddy. This little amp is a great addition and really shows how good the 280s actually are. I am delighted with the sound from HD 280s via my MP3 and PC. I was also very impressed with what they did from the digital output of my Marantz CD player.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #1,515 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by holden4th /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have HD 280s and realised soon after buying them that they have an extremely neutral sound and while the bass is very accurate it didn't pack the punch it should have. I bought the E3 and shortly after that the E5. The E5 certainly does the trick and also makes these cans less fatiguing. The bass has more punch but never gets muddy. This little amp is a great addition and really shows how good the 280s actually are. I am delighted with the sound from HD 280s via my MP3 and PC. I was also very impressed with what they did from the digital output of my Marantz CD player.

That's good news!
smile.gif
I love these headphones, they're very accurate, even with the bass. But they really don't give that thumping feeling that I've gotten with even a cheap pair of Sony's. I know the HD 280 has the ability to really push nice sound, but I guess it's dependent on the amp. Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back