Fiio E18
Nov 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #542 of 2,308
  Going to bring the PRO-900s for the commute.  Let's see what it does there. 
biggrin.gif

I think I am going to copy you on that. :)  I haven't taken my Pro 900s out for a while now because the Ed8 is my go to for isolation HP. I'm actually listening to Knife Party with the Pro 900 now.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #543 of 2,308

Have you used it while moving across signal zones?  If you're just listening to it at your desk, you're not going to get any interference.  The interference occurs from the signals the antennae emits when attempting to regain signal, send/receive large amounts of data, etc.  Use it as a portable player while going in and out of a dead zone.  If you really have no problems, then let me know, perhaps I got a bad unit?...

Hello az,

I use my E18 as a portable just as much or more than with my laptop and I have never come across the buzzing problem. I take it underground, on the tram, on buses, walking and just plain sitting around.

Maybe I'm not using GSM? I use it with my Note2 and I am still on 3G network.

I hope this helps with your analysis...

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #544 of 2,308
Nov 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #545 of 2,308
Many of us were not able to get the E07k to work with a US carrier GS3. I'd be interested to hear if anyone who was unsuccessful with the E07k/GS3 pairing is able to use the E18. While I agree that the issue is more on the OTG side, we were lead to believe that Android compatibility would be better with E18. Not sure if that's the case.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #546 of 2,308
That is the problem of us early adopters. I understand your disappointment but that's something that happens when you are in the first batch of triers. When I entered this audiophile world I bought both E17 and E07K and kept the one covering my needs better. Android is not an easy world, we have iOS for that, but on the other hand it can satisfy you in many other aspects. I'm not buying E18 because of its ultra compatibility with android but as an upgrade. If it doesn't work I will just return it.

S4 users might want to try E17 that has been reported to work or try flashing custom ROMs. US variants have been always a pain and we need to understand that most of the world uses the international variant (Europe, Asia, etc). We should be happy of having so many options out there. It wasn't the case before or with other phones.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #548 of 2,308
I think I was wrong earlier when I bashed Google for the Galaxy S4's inability to act as a host for USB DACs.   

I've been doing a lot of reading here, and it looks like Android has had the functionality for a while, and indeed is working on the S3.   It looks like Samsung is the cause of the S4 issues.  

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #549 of 2,308
  I use my E18 as a portable just as much or more than with my laptop and I have never come across the buzzing problem...

The interference is from the phone when the e18 is used as intended, strapped together with the phone.  I assume that when using it with your laptop, you're not using it with the e18 strapped to your gsm receiver?

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #550 of 2,308
I've been doing a lot of reading here, and it looks like Android has had the functionality for a while, and indeed is working on the S3.   It looks like Samsung is the cause of the S4 issues.  

That's interesting; thanks for the update (I had heard the same as what you'd said previously). I wonder if the 2.3 update does/will make any difference (I haven't gotten mine yet, even though I'm on Sprint), or if Samsung might be easier to petition for a fix.

When you're neck deep in the technical side of things as an enthusiast it's easy to take these things for granted, but there are even going to be other technical people whose circumstances won't allow for workarounds that may seem benign from your point of view. Compatibility issues, as such, are going to happen, but to specifically advertise to those that a company knows will have compatibility issues is really... not cool. If my company tried this, I would take it to the executives if I had to; and at a company that counts profits in the billions, that's not a small thing.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #551 of 2,308
Has anyone made this work with the Nexus 4? I know it won't work with stock android, but can anyone point me towards a confirmed functioning ROM and/or Kernel which would make it work?

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #552 of 2,308
  I think I was wrong earlier when I bashed Google for the Galaxy S4's inability to act as a host for USB DACs.   

So it looks like this may be carrier specific.

I just got my E18, plugged it into my S4 (yes, USB in), and it works straight away through Poweramp, Noozy, and the Youtube app. When I plugged it in it turned the volume on the phone all the way down and I just had to turn it up.

However, I happen to have another S4 here for testing (I'm a mobile software tester) through T Mobile, and it is NOT working on that one.

My phone is rooted but still stock (the testing device is, of course, fully stock) and on Sprint. I have ViPER4Android and Noozoxide installed but disabled. It works with Poweramp set to use direct volume control or not. Noozy says that it failed to initialize EMU due to unsupported DAC (which it does without the E18 as well). Unfortunately I can't change much on the S4 for testing because it needs to remain as close to being OOB as possible. I also have personal stuff going on today that makes it unlikely that I will be able to do much more today, but we'll see. I'm happy to do whatever I can to help you out, cswann1.

So I'm very glad to be at least partially wrong, though I still think that Fiio needs to be more up-front about this.

I am a little weary about this OTG cable; it looks like something that will short out after a month of my bus commute.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #553 of 2,308

I don't think that's true. I mean, the E18 isn't working with my S4, but every other USB DAC I have used with it works fine, this is the only one I've had trouble with.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #554 of 2,308
  So it looks like this may be carrier specific.

I just got my E18, plugged it into my S4 (yes, USB in), and it works straight away through Poweramp, Noozy, and the Youtube app. When I plugged it in it turned the volume on the phone all the way down and I just had to turn it up.

However, I happen to have another S4 here for testing (I'm a mobile software tester) through T Mobile, and it is NOT working on that one.

My phone is rooted but still stock (the testing device is, of course, fully stock). I have ViPER4Android and Noozoxide installed but disabled. It works with Poweramp set to use direct volume control or not. Noozy says that it failed to initialize EMU due to unsupported DAC (which it does without the E18 as well). Unfortunately I can't change much on the S4 for testing because it needs to remain as close to being OOB as possible. I also have personal stuff going on today that makes it unlikely that I will be able to do much more today, but we'll see. I'm happy to do whatever I can to help you out, cswann1.

So I'm very glad to be at least partially wrong, though I still think that Fiio needs to be more up-front about this.

I am a little weary about this OTG cable; it looks like something that will short out after a month of my bus commute.

Not working on My Verizon S4, but I can, for example, use my Hifiman HM-101 with the same phone, so....

My S4 is also rooted, but generally stock otherwise. Very disappointed with the E18. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #555 of 2,308

Not working on My Verizon S4, but I can, for example, use my Hifiman HM-101 with the same phone, so....

My S4 is also rooted, but generally stock otherwise. Very disappointed with the E18. 

It might be worth trying it with USB Audio Recorder Pro (you can download the trial from the Specs page for the E18) just to make sure that it's not a defective unit. There's been one or two people in this thread that have had to order replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back