Fiio E18
Nov 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #526 of 2,308
I'm hoping for an e18 diy edition

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #527 of 2,308
I just got my e18.

There is no sound using USB OTG from my AT&T Galaxy S4.   Fiio's prduct information page shows the S4 as a compatible device but if you download the users manual, it is not.

Has anyone gotten their e18 to work with an S4 after initially having no sound from the headphone out while connected to their source via USB?  If I can't get this working, and soon, I will be returning.   It's pretty disappointing seeing such a big discrepancy on the compatible devices from Fiio.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #529 of 2,308
  I just got my e18.

There is no sound using USB OTG from my AT&T Galaxy S4.   Fiio's prduct information page shows the S4 as a compatible device but if you download the users manual, it is not.

Has anyone gotten their e18 to work with an S4 after initially having no sound from the headphone out while connected to their source via USB?  If I can't get this working, and soon, I will be returning.   It's pretty disappointing seeing such a big discrepancy on the compatible devices from Fiio.

Have set your E18 to it's DAC/amplifier mode rather than the setting where it will attempt to charge your S4

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #530 of 2,308
It looks like you need USB Audio Recorder Pro to use it with the Galaxy S4. That actually leaves me more than a little sour, because I had the E07, saw all the comments from Fiio reps saying to wait for the E18, and did just that to avoid having to use USB Audio Recorder Pro. I'll live, but I'll be forever skeptical of Fiio.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #532 of 2,308

Perhaps, but advertising compatibility with a specific device as a selling point is entirely on their part.

Compatability in terms of USB OTG and using these devices is soley around the ROM/OS the Android device is using, the idea that the user knows how to get it to work, and that something hasn't been messed up on the device.

Compatability in general is the selling point of course. But this is mainly a user and software issue.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #533 of 2,308
  Compatability in terms of USB OTG and using these devices is soley around the ROM/OS the Android device is using, the idea that the user knows how to get it to work, and that something hasn't been messed up on the device.

Compatability in general is the selling point of course. But this is mainly a user and software issue.

I see this as a truth in advertising issue. Saying that it works with a program that was never intended to be used this way is not the same as being compatible.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #534 of 2,308
  Have set your E18 to it's DAC/amplifier mode rather than the setting where it will attempt to charge your S4

Yes, I had it set correctly and could play/pause and change the track playing in the media player.

It looks like you need USBAudioPro to use it with the Galaxy S4. That actually leaves me more than a little sour, because I had the E07, saw all the comments from Fiio reps saying to wait for the E18, and did just that to avoid having to use USBAudioPro. I'll live, but I'll be forever skeptical of Fiio.

Yeah, looks like you may be right.  And that is not something I am willing to do.    I use Neutron player for a couple of reasons, one of them being that it includes crossfeed, which as far as I know no other Android media player has.   If USBAudioPro had crossfeed and was free, I might consider keeping this amp/DAC.   

Since my IEMs do sound really good straight out of my S4, I'll be contacting Micca Store for an RMA.   I'm not that bummed, but I do wish Fiio would have made it a little clearer that the S4 needs specific software to work as a USB DAC.   The product description page shows a picture of the S4 right along with 4 other phones, but it's not until you dig deeper in to the product literature that you see the  fine print.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #535 of 2,308
Yeah, looks like you may be right.  And that is not something I am willing to do.    I use Neutron player for a couple of reasons, one of them being that it includes crossfeed, which as far as I know no other Android media player has.   If USBAudioPro had crossfeed and was free, I might consider keeping this amp/DAC.          
Since my IEMs do sound really good straight out of my S4, I'll be contacting Micca Store for an RMA.   I'm not that bummed, but I do wish Fiio would have made it a little clearer that the S4 needs specific software to work as a USB DAC.   The product description page shows a picture of the S4 right along with 4 other phones, but it's not until you dig deeper in to the product literature that you see the  fine print.

Yeah, using my own player is why I wanted a DAC instead of opting for something like the X3.

If they included their own player software then I would be a little irritated, but not as sour as I am now. Using a recording program as a player (that can only play one file type) is not a solution for compatibility. Perhaps they need to provide some support to the developer of USB Audio Recorder in his effort to create a driver/service for these things.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I seem to recall Fiio reps saying not to do this, and to wait for their Android DAC instead.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #536 of 2,308
  Yeah, using my own player is why I wanted a DAC instead of opting for something like the X3.

If they included their own player software then I would be a little irritated, but not as sour as I am now. Using a recording program as a player (that can only play one file type) is not a solution for compatibility. Perhaps they need to provide some support to the developer of USB Audio Recorder in his effort to create a driver/service for these things.

Google crapped the bed here. The Jelly Bean 4.2.2 kernel should have included this functionality so that the rest of the world wouldn't have t come up with workarounds for their fail.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #538 of 2,308
Yes, I had it set correctly and could play/pause and change the track playing in the media player.

Well, looks like I'm not buying the E18.

Poweramp has their cross feed called Stereo X by the way. Neutron is great and all but they really need to update their UI.. Poweramp for me till then.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #539 of 2,308

I do not hear any of the buzz that has been mentioned.

Have you used it while moving across signal zones?  If you're just listening to it at your desk, you're not going to get any interference.  The interference occurs from the signals the antennae emits when attempting to regain signal, send/receive large amounts of data, etc.  Use it as a portable player while going in and out of a dead zone.  If you really have no problems, then let me know, perhaps I got a bad unit?...

As for all you out there worried about compatibility with your device... that's not a problem with FiiO, since there are so many different firmware bilds of the phones.  The phone itself may be capable of supporting USB audio, but your software may not have this enabled.  

For the one wondering about converting mp3 to analog, that's what this DAC does... DAC is Digital-Analog Converter... Also, remember that whatever you do, it'll only be as good as the weakest link.  If you have a 28kbps mp3, your music is going to sound ****ty no matter what you do, unless it's a tuning tone or something.  

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #540 of 2,308
  I just got my e18.

FiiO's web page on the E18 has an asterisk next to the S4 and the below definition with a link to a downloadable trial of the recorder program that you can sideload. As has been expressed, that's no way to enjoy music. I wouldn't go that way either. And I thought Google was cooking in USB Audio support into Jellybean. Perhaps it's up to the OEM to follow through, then again the S3 has no asterisk and everyone is happy with their S3, except for some owners with issues with interference.
Owing to differences in smartphone firmware, newer smartphones may require installation of 3rd party music players to work with the E18 as a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back