Fiio E18
Nov 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #571 of 2,308

Stock rom, but with some framework modifications, etc. Just enough to not be able to do an OTA. And yeah, it was definitely acting as a host. 

That said, the OTA to 4.3 resolved the issues, E18 works now.

OK so just to confirm.....updating to Jelly Bean 4.3 resolved the problem and you can use the e18 with your Galaxy S4 using the media player of your choice?   And the OTA 4.3 update will not happen if your device is rooted?

Sorry to ask you to repeat yourself, but I want to be as clear as I can on all of this before I send my e18 back for a (partial-<shakes fist>damn restocking fees</ fist>) refund.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #572 of 2,308

OK so just to confirm.....updating to Jelly Bean 4.3 resolved the problem and you can use the e18 with your Galaxy S4 using the media player of your choice?   And the OTA 4.3 update will not happen if your device is rooted?

Sorry to ask you to repeat yourself, but I want to be as clear as I can on all of this before I send my e18 back for a (partial-<shakes fist>damn restocking fees</ fist>) refund.

Updating to 4.3 (I was on 4.2.2 previously) resolved whatever my issue was for my Verizon S4. It now works with both my podcast app, and Google Music (the one that matters). 

I was actually still rooted when I updated, but I had to restore some files that had been modified (mainly framework files). But for your purposes: Updating to 4.3 did resolve my issue, the E18 now works with my S4. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #574 of 2,308
Okay guys, I can confirm that E18 DAC works with my computer and it works quite well. Very clean sound, smooth...and very enjoyable. Lovely! I hear no distortion, no pops or clicks, no high pitched sound in the background. 

If I can get my G2 to play nice in this matter, then damn....what a great audio upgrade that will be.

So..............now I have no idea how to fix this audio mess with my G2. OTG works....but audio quality is just horrid!

Ideas anyone?

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #575 of 2,308
Okay guys, I can confirm that E18 DAC works with my computer and it works quite well. Very clean sound, smooth...and very enjoyable. Lovely! I hear no distortion, no pops or clicks, no high pitched sound in the background. 

If I can get my G2 to play nice in this matter, then damn....what a great audio upgrade that will be.

So..............now I have no idea how to fix this audio mess with my G2. OTG works....but audio quality is just horrid!

Ideas anyone?

Try other kernels and/or versions of android if possible.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #577 of 2,308
You mean with the G2? Did you change kernel / rom? Did you try using USB Audio Recorder Pro? Are you playing standard-res or high-res music?

In other news, does anyone remember the crazy report on one of these E18 threads that the E18 was working with first an iPad and then an iPhone 5? I can't seem to find it... can anyone give me a link so I can study what's going on? :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #578 of 2,308
You mean with the G2? Did you change kernel / rom? Did you try using USB Audio Recorder Pro? Are you playing standard-res or high-res music?

In other news, does anyone remember the crazy report on one of these E18 threads that the E18 was working with first an iPad and then an iPhone 5? I can't seem to find it... can anyone give me a link so I can study what's going on?
tongue.gif

Yes, my LG G2. When I first opened the E18 packaged, I turned it on and plugged it in to my LG G2. It worked without a hitch, even though the audio quality was awful. Now I cannot get the DAC to work at all. I can pause/play and advance the track no problem, but now there is no volume. I have not tried USB Audio Recorder Pro, because I have to pay for that and I honestly feel that this product should not require a 3rd party app to function. Wasn't advertised as such. I am streaming Google Music 320Kbps. 

I may have to try another ROM, but even having to do that sucks. My G2 supports OTG ...I'm not sure why it worked and now doesn't. 

EDIT: More info - I am using Verizon version of LG G2, currently on ROM: Malladus 1.2.1 (Android 4.2.2)

EDIT: I just can't it to work anymore. Looks like I may have to return it soon. I'd like at least 2 weeks with it to see if progress is made, but as it stands right now...it's a non-functioning product :frowning2:

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #579 of 2,308
Yes, my LG G2. When I first opened the E18 packaged, I turned it on and plugged it in to my LG G2. It worked without a hitch, even though the audio quality was awful. Now I cannot get the DAC to work at all. I can pause/play and advance the track no problem, but now there is no volume. I have not tried USB Audio Recorder Pro, because I have to pay for that and I honestly feel that this product should not require a 3rd party app to function. Wasn't advertised as such. I am streaming Google Music 320Kbps. 

I may have to try another ROM, but even having to do that sucks. My G2 supports OTG ...I'm not sure why it worked and now doesn't. 

EDIT: More info - I am using Verizon version of LG G2, currently on ROM: Malladus 1.2.1 (Android 4.2.2)

EDIT: I just can't it to work anymore. Looks like I may have to return it soon. I'd like at least 2 weeks with it to see if progress is made, but as it stands right now...it's a non-functioning product :frowning2:

Try pressing the volume up key on your g2 while music is playing into the e18.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 13, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #580 of 2,308
Try pressing the volume up key on your g2 while music is playing into the e18.

I'd try that, but I have some good news!

So, I switch over to a 4.3.1 ROM, VanirAOSP and thought I'd give it a shot because I really want this setup to work.

Well, as I type this I'm listening to the E18 in all of its full glory. DAC and all and there is no noise or anything out of the ordinary. It sounds badass! 

I am getting some interference from my phone though. It stabilizes once activity on my phone calms down though. I'll have to see, but so far so good with this ROM build. 

EDIT: I can still hear a very low volume high pitched sound. It's still constant. Can't notice it too much when music is playing. 

EDIT 2: Yea, the interference is quite annoying. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #581 of 2,308

I'd try that, but I have some good news!

So, I switch over to a 4.3.1 ROM, VanirAOSP and thought I'd give it a shot because I really want this setup to work.

Well, as I type this I'm listening to the E18 in all of its full glory. DAC and all and there is no noise or anything out of the ordinary. It sounds badass! 

I am getting some interference from my phone though. It stabilizes once activity on my phone calms down though. I'll have to see, but so far so good with this ROM build. 

EDIT: I can still hear a very low volume high pitched sound. It's still constant. Can't notice it too much when music is playing. 

EDIT 2: Yea, the interference is quite annoying. 

Some insights just for you to keep playing with it:
- Usually the key for it to work is on the kernels more than in the ROMs.
- 4.2.x is REALLY picky with DACs. That's probably why you got it working on 4.3.x better than 4.2.x. Again, the key is the kernel, but those depend as well on the Android version.
- U.S. variants are REALLY picky as well. If possible, play with kernels and ROMs derived from international versions that you know are compatible with your specific variant.
- That pitched sound is going to be related with your phone specificly (a driver issue probably), you might want to try ROMs as based as possible in pure Android to see if they do any effect.

Hope this helps man, the last option for you would be to sell the phone while it keeps a "high" value and try to upgrade/move horizontally to another Android phone that you are certain is fully compatible. Even used is a good option. I switch my phone every 6-12 months, and you can do it for less than $100 a year which is more or less the same than upgrading every 2 years if you do the maths. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #582 of 2,308
replies to the below questions in this thread.

1) Can the E18 pick up the line out from the Galaxy S3 from the USB connection.

Yes, but I am not sure whether it is true line out from the usb connector in S3, and also you need a special line out cable which you need to put a resistor in side the cable. sorry I forget the detail 

but it is possible.

2) Why is the volume control of the phone affecting the volume of the sound coming out of the E18? Is so, the E18 has a volume control and responding to both controls is causing confusion for users.

the best way is set the volume in your phone to the MAX and use E18 to control the volume . it is the same when you use DAC in your PC unless it works under  ASIO or WASPI mode.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #584 of 2,308
One thing that I noticed is that if Poweramp is set to direct volume control then I get warbling and clicking/popping (I don't know the technical terms for these things). When I turn that feature off it plays normally. I tried USB Audio Recorder Pro and got the same while it was set to 16 bit, and cleared up when I changed to 24 bit. I'm not sure how that might translate to problems others are having here, but hope that might spark some ideas.

Results:
As a noob that has a better ear than most people (I'm at the point that I recently started to be able to pick out FLAC from 320 MP3s) what I'm noticing is that there is a lot more definition in background sounds and the music is a lot more three-dimensional; it's very much the difference between a 2d picture and a 3d picture, with the background sounds being much more defined and articulated. This is amazing for some music, and not so different in other music. Overall resolution is better, but will take some time for me to fully realize (listening to music on my commute is where I seem to notice things more).

I really do wish that the USB cable was angled. I'm not excited about putting the unit in my pocket resting on the cable loop while I'm running for buses and trains. I should be able to put it in my pocket upside down most of the time, but if I have to run for a train, then I'm just going to shove it in my pocket and run. I might have to see about getting an adapter or two.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #585 of 2,308
Hi all,

Im not at all familiar with shopping in the states.
Can you help me out with some pointers on places I can search or find for e18?

(Do i need to follow only the official distributors?)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back