Fiio E17?
Jun 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
Have just ordered the dt880 s myself 250 would this be a suitable driver amp?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/2220#post_8242037
I will guess yes. You might wish to think about what you want the E17 for first and if IT is suitable for what you want it for first now that you have the heapdhones.

Quote:
Where's the best place to buy the E17? I'm not sure which retailers are authorized so that warranty is valid. Thanks.

http://fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

Click your country and look through. FiiO used to just give and help people with anything but they have an updated warranty. Not sure if it was updated a while back or something but it seems fiio will only give support for people that buy from an authorized dealer regardless that they own a FiiO or not...?? My legal reading skills aren't that strong. I'll contact Feiao soon and ask for clarification on if FiiO themselves will still honor the parts and defects warranty that they themselves give regardless of where you got it.

In the U.S, MiccaStore, head direct, b and h.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:
http://fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

Click your country and look through. FiiO used to just give and help people with anything but they have an updated warranty. Not sure if it was updated a while back or something but it seems fiio will only give support for people that buy from an authorized dealer regardless that they own a FiiO or not...?? My legal reading skills aren't that strong. I'll contact Feiao soon and ask for clarification on if FiiO themselves will still honor the parts and defects warranty that they themselves give regardless of where you got it.

In the U.S, MiccaStore, head direct, b and h.

Thanks. Yeah I just saw a lot of postings on Amazon from 3rd party sellers but since this is my first ever amp purchase, I want to make sure I get it from an authorized dealer so I have warranty support just in case I need any service.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #22 of 28
Thanks for reply, it's really that I want to get a sufficient amp down the line for the beyers, but prefer to budget my options in the meantime and this seems like a cheap way of using the beyers. I get the feeling from the forums that the cans are a white elephant without a sufficient amp for iPhone.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Thanks. Yeah I just saw a lot of postings on Amazon from 3rd party sellers but since this is my first ever amp purchase, I want to make sure I get it from an authorized dealer so I have warranty support just in case I need any service.

Yeah, I don't know if their updated warranty conditions on their site was updated recently or not and I can't interpreate their conditions fully but really as of right now...it's funny but authorized dealers are selling them for less ($139) than 3rd party at $200.

Quote:
Thanks for reply, it's really that I want to get a sufficient amp down the line for the beyers, but prefer to budget my options in the meantime and this seems like a cheap way of using the beyers. I get the feeling from the forums that the cans are a white elephant without a sufficient amp for iPhone.

250 ohm Beyer's definately need an amp. Impendence doesn't mean driveability fully but for those beyers they do. In terms of sound science, after a certain point, high impendence may be easier to drive, but with those beyers and general headphones, 250 ohm will need an amp to really drive it and to add sonic elements that may be missing.

There are many options availble to you, so be sure to keep a look out.

If you are using this with an iOS or iPod device, be sure to get an L3,L9, or L11. The L11 is not out yet, and ...if you are using it portable, won't be a good addition. The only difference between L3 and L9 is that L9 is for more minimalistic connections that fits well, while L3 are for if the connectors wont' work nicely with the L shape of the L9.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 28
Great! Thanks a million, very valued advice! It was a big buy for me and nervous about going about it the right way. Won't have cans till mid July but have seen the e17 going as low as €86 in uk so can afford that bit extra by the time I get them. At least they'll be better then, than my senns.

Ultimately little dot for home use and with all the new portable amps emerging there'll surely be a perfect match by the time I can produce the cash! Happy listening :)

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
Great! Thanks a million, very valued advice! It was a big buy for me and nervous about going about it the right way. Won't have cans till mid July but have seen the e17 going as low as €86 in uk so can afford that bit extra by the time I get them. At least they'll be better then, than my senns.
Ultimately little dot for home use and with all the new portable amps emerging there'll surely be a perfect match by the time I can produce the cash! Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

FiiO products generaly drop about 12% in half a year....in the U.S which follows a similar trend worldwide so don't expect too too much.

I can't exactly offer much advice on what to look for as there are many elements! Last word of advice that many forget about. Device specific threads are bias and our subconcious makes all the positive remarks super important. Going to an E17 thread will make you go WOW!!! E17 heck yeah!!!. Going to an iBasso Dzero or something thread will make you go!! Heck yeah! Differentiate, make a list of what you want beforehand, go read multiple dedicated threads, try to ignore the subconcious effects that posts that say "(insert device here) sounds really good" RIGHT AFTER THEY GOT IT(initial impressions are fun to read but are detrimental to a potential buyers subconcious) and look for direct comparison posts and posts that speak of actual things they hear after doing extended listening.

What I mean is that you can chuckle and know that a person bought it and feel happy for them when you read a post like this: But ultimately try to ignore the effects it will have. IT will make the device seem more popular and better than it is... I fall into the trap sometimes as well but don't let these throw you off track:

WOW! Just got it and it sounds good! I have it paired with my "blah blah blah" and listenin to "blah blah blah" the bass is tighter, soundstage is larger, and it just jumps out at you! I'm hearing things I have never heard before

There are a lot of newbies getting the devices you will be looking at as its priced...affordably so you will see these very very often. And as we are on head-fi..it is almost guaranteed that an upgraded $100+ amp will do the exact same upgrades generally that an ipod cant do...but how well it does it and to what extent and with what genres and headphones is another question.

Look for these

I have the (insert headphone here), (insert headphone here), (insert headphone here), (insert headphone here). I have both the E17 and the iBasso(something or another amp). With classical the (insert device here) is better at this and blah blah blah 

Direct comparisons with many headphones and use of clever terms is important.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #26 of 28
Those comparisons are typically quite flawed - unless one of the amps is audibly flawed, which can happen.
Typically either too little power (for high impedance insensitive headphones), clipping (either current - low impedance IEMS, rare; or voltage - high impedance low sensitivity) or too high output impedance (low impedance IEM).
Other flaws like bad IMD or THD behavior can also happen - e.g. Nuforce amps - giving "lush" sound, but are harder to notice than the above.
Very bad jitter can be audible too - might sound slightly harsh - but it's hard to find a DAC really failing here.
Yet another serious flaw can be lots of DC on output - this is typically inaudible, but can fry headphones and IEMs.
High crosstalk can be audible in soundstage, causing narrowing.
RF interference sensitivity can be annoying at times.
Another rare issue can be channel balance or pop when started.

Audible amounts of noise can also happen, but it's typically not a serious flaw, unless the noise is really high - which typically happens at low impedance load, since current noise is harder to get rid of.

Most amps on the market do not fail badly on any of these with exception of output impedance for IEMs or lack of driving power for high impedance.
(Certain multi balanced armature IEMs combine both problems.)
Some amps do have RF sensitivity issues.
--
My own "broken amp list" would currently contain Nuforce's designs.
Many others are unsuitable for low impedance IEMs. For example, otherwise nice Leckerton UHA-4 runs out of current, so is suitable only to drive something > 32 Ohm and even 32 Ohm may be marginal depending on sensitivity. (Can't drive SE-5 way, far too quiet.) Arrow 12 amp has too high output impedance to drive IEMs, resulting in warm coloration in most and really weird effects with multi-BA IEMs.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 28
Thanks bowei006 I've taken that on board and really looking forward to the new sound adventures. :D
It's a sure step up from my px200ii. Sometimes tho I think I enjoy reading the forums more than the actual cans :wink:

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
Thanks bowei006 I've taken that on board and really looking forward to the new sound adventures.
biggrin.gif

It's a sure step up from my px200ii. Sometimes tho I think I enjoy reading the forums more than the actual cans
wink.gif

I live on Head-Fi... it is fine my friend.

I come here for entertainment. 

I'll make a guilty acknoledgement, I spend about 7hours weekly of actual listening time with my audiophile setup and cans. The rest are gaming and with movies and other low or mid quality setups that don't really matter. The majority of my actual music time is with my low fi portable setup. Not saying I don't use and test and hear and do all this stuff a lot as I do. When gaming and movies, I am semi actively comparing my desktop units and headphones and all that and wear my headphones almost 24/7 on my computer(very comfortable Q701) My earphones just broke today as my dog jumped on the wires and tore them out of my ears..but no worries. I thankfully picked up a set of AKG K422's for $19.99 yesterday. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back