fiio e17 speculations?
Dec 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #196 of 352
So anyone who already has E7, can you please tell me if the shape is the same as an iPhone?  Looks like it is, but can't judge size on pics since there is nothing to compare it to.

I'm in the market for a new phone as well, trying to choose between 4s or the new Galaxy Nexus, and it looks like the E17 (same shape/size as E7) will pair nicely with the 4s.

Also, farther back in the thread, someone was talking about compatibility issues with Android... what's that all about?

P.S. the pics look great!

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #197 of 352
Quote:
So anyone who already has E7, can you please tell me if the shape is the same as an iPhone?  Looks like it is, but can't judge size on pics since there is nothing to compare it to.

It's roughly the same shape as an iPhone 4/4S yes, but smaller and thicker. The E7 is roughly 95mm x 55mm x 14mm

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #200 of 352
If I remember correctly from a few months ago the issue you talk about had nothing to do with android at all. The commenter was talking about hooking a usb device up to a phone (which happened to be android) but you obviously aren't going to be able to do that.  The e17 will connect to an android phone just like any other phone or device - through an analog connection.  But like the e7 and almost all other portable DACs you will only be connecting it to a phone or ipod as an amp.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #201 of 352

Quote:
Found out something interesting about the e17, Fiio said in another thread that they were investigating the possibility of MHL support.
AFAIK this would mean compatibility with MHL supported android phones (e.g Samsung Galaxy S2) to be used as a dac! Pretty excited myself for possibly the first android-compatible dac. I could be wildly mistaken here though.

Quote:

And he also said in other thread that fiio have already gave up that idea
http://www.head-fi.org/t/572078/first-photo-of-e17/45

Quote:
Thats disappointing... On the plus side, the e17 won't be delayed and since the only forseeable inhibition of developing a MHL compatible dac is power, maybe a desktop dac for android devices? Google has also hinted at opening up the mini-usb in android devices to accept other devices in the ice cream sandwich OS so im still allowed to dream :)

Gosh, it looks like this has everything to do with android devices.  I know you can connect any phone with a headphone jack into a unit with a compatible input, yet there are all these accessories available for iphones that utilize the connector on the bottom of the phone rather than the headphone-out jack.  I assumed that this had to do with wanting to bypass the iphone's DAC in the same way the USB connection supposedly bypasses the CPU's built-in DAC.  Is that the case?  Or maybe it's 180 degrees the other way and allows you to use apps on the phone as DACs?  It looks as if they've dropped the concept for the E17, but I'd still be curious to know.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #205 of 352
An early sample of E17 is coming my way, probably be here by early next week. Should receive my T5 by tomorrow as well.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #206 of 352
Jealous! 
angry_face.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #207 of 352
what sort of headphones r u gona use with the T5, are ultrasone 900's a good match up?
im thinking of gettin T5 but jus cant afford it atm, im broke after buyin the headphones :S

peace! :D

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #209 of 352
what sort of headphones r u gona use with the T5, are ultrasone 900's a good match up?
im thinking of gettin T5 but jus cant afford it atm, im broke after buyin the headphones :S

peace! :D

Don't have any Ultrasone. You will have better chance of an answer if you ask me about IEM :p

Cool....keep us updated. Thinking about canceling my Digizoid v2 order for an E17...

They are sort of two different product though. ZO2's main selling point is really the bass boost while E17 is more of a one-size-fits-all as it is DAC+amp.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #210 of 352
Absolutely, but in the end of the day i prefer the all-in-one solution somehow. And in the long run its cheaper too to stick with one device until you are ready to upgrade as opposed to having multiple devices
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back