fiio e17 speculations?
Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 352
Yes, I know haha. Just thinking where you'd get the music. Can all music file formats come in 24/192?

Quote:
Quote:
But the E7 only supports like...16/44? Where do you get 24/192 sources? o.o

E7 doesn't support 24/192 formats. I was merely refering to formats of music when I said source, not hardware.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #17 of 352
Hey,

What little info James has released on the E17 I've put together here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537356/fiio-new-products-guide#post_7244899

Looks like a great product. From the description it does sound like the higher end brother of the E7 - I would expect the E7 to stay around given it's attractive price. The E17 takes the performance up a few notches and offers additional digital connectivity.

Like the rest of you, I can't wait for this to get here.

Jack

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #19 of 352
Yes, the E17 will dock in the E9 as well, and I think that gives us some idea of its size/thickness, should be similar to the E7 in that regard. 

Jack

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #21 of 352
You mean the digital inputs?

That's a good question. I don't know the location of the digital input ports on the E17 or whether they still function once docked into the E9. I guess it would be ideal if they did, so that you can connect the E17/E9 up to the optical or coaxial output of a CD player. 

Oh and if you guys want the E17 to provide bass boost or any such EQ functions *while docked in the E9*, now would be a good time to let FiiO know. :D

Jack

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 352
Hmmm... interesting i think i will be in for one if my wallet feel comfy about it. need a dac for my laptop.
beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 352
I think moving up from the E7 will be a no brainer - but only if my only issue with the e7 is addressed  - the lack of lineout really limits what I can do with it.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #24 of 352
oh and as for as sources.  I guess it's ok to say this...but if you search on computer audiophile they have unbelievable samples of 176khz and 8467kbps(!!!!) HRx files for free.  One is 260 megs for a single song.  These files are offered by reference recordings and I'm making the assumption that having access to these files completely negates the point of having actual audiophile level sources...???  The only (and huge) issue is that people are only spending the time and money to make recordings like this for Jazz and classical.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #25 of 352

Quote:
oh and as for as sources.  I guess it's ok to say this...but if you search on computer audiophile they have unbelievable samples of 176khz and 8467kbps(!!!!) HRx files for free.  One is 260 megs for a single song.  These files are offered by reference recordings and I'm making the assumption that having access to these files completely negates the point of having actual audiophile level sources...???  The only (and huge) issue is that people are only spending the time and money to make recordings like this for Jazz and classical.

lol...that seems a bit excessive. can you really tell a difference?

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 352
Well, my Grado's are out getting mod'ed right now and I don't have a backup pair to check.  They do sound fantastic on my speakers though.  Oh, and though I feel I have a pretty good DAC these files are way beyond what my (or most others?) DAC can really peform to.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #27 of 352

Quote:
Quote:

lol...that seems a bit excessive. can you really tell a difference?

I had some SACDs before. Even with the entry-level Sony, the SACDs sound better than CD's; playing CD's through that vs most other CDPlayers within the price range and the Sony's not any warmer but the resolution, not in k-bits but in how each note is resolved, etc, is a lot clearer. I loved Mahler, Orff, Wagner and Mozart on that player, and it's a shame very few metal bands released on SACD. What's more, some of the bands that released on SACD compose music that won't make too much difference, not the complex power/symphonic metal compositions.

On a related note, The Phantom Agony CD sounds more musical, while the 2 meter sessies DVD is more analytical. Except the vocal microphones used for the live recording session really bring the lead vocals up front, like speaker systems with the Vifa XT25 tweeters.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #28 of 352
Personally, I want the Optical/Coaxial in to be available when docked into the E9 as right now the E9 it only supports USB and Line in IIRC :frowning2:
I'd be much happier off with Optical in going into the DAC for a higher quality output rather than having to hog up another USB port for less quality.

Oh and BTW first post on HF :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #29 of 352
I think the E9 use the E17`s dac because the E9 is amp only without E17 or E7. Welcome to HeadFi and sorry about that wallet of yours
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Personally, I want the Optical/Coaxial in to be available when docked into the E9 as right now the E9 it only supports USB and Line in IIRC :frowning2:
I'd be much happier off with Optical in going into the DAC for a higher quality output rather than having to hog up another USB port for less quality.

Oh and BTW first post on HF :)

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #30 of 352
Right - I think what he's saying is, he hopes the E17 will be configured such that you can physically plug in a coax/spdif cable when the unit is docked (i.e. those jacks are not placed on the same face as the dock connector) and that engaging the dock connector doesn't force (e.g. via software) digital input to be from the dock/ignore the coax/spdif inputs.  And I agree completely on both counts.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back