fiio e17 speculations?
Feb 17, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #31 of 352
I think you'll probably have to hook up the E17 to the E9's line in to take advantage of the E17's digital inputs. If not, you'll have to deal with the USB connection of the E9.

That's my assumption. I think it would just look weird as hell having the connections going to the E17 while it's docked to the E9. I highly doubt Fiio is going this route.

As for the E7 and a line out, well we're still waiting on that L7(?) dock that is supposed to be released soon (probably around the time of the E11, that way the E7 can be used as a DAC for the E11).

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #32 of 352

Quote:
Right - I think what he's saying is, he hopes the E17 will be configured such that you can physically plug in a coax/spdif cable when the unit is docked (i.e. those jacks are not placed on the same face as the dock connector) and that engaging the dock connector doesn't force (e.g. via software) digital input to be from the dock/ignore the coax/spdif inputs.  And I agree completely on both counts.   

Yup, that's exactly what I meant. :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #33 of 352
I'm curious as to how much this e17 will cost. And will it be worth it upgrading from an e7? I really want a night and day difference if I am going to upgrade my portable amp. Please fill this void fiio :).

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #34 of 352
They've already said it would cost about twice as much so I'd expect about $200.  It is supposed to be substantially more capable then the e7 - I'm surprised they are dealing with all the different optical inputs this time but it will make the product stand out (now you can use it with more sources than just your computer).  If you have source files that can use the DAC improvements then it will be good for you, if not...

but you still have a good wait

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #35 of 352

Quote:

Just ordered an e9 the other day and I decided to hold off on buying the e7 because of some posts I've seen stating that Fiio has an e17 in the works that handles 96/24. I even recall some tidbits being posted by the fiio rep on here...can't find them though. I know fiio is currently working on the e11 which is a dedicated portable amp, so that makes me wonder if the e17 is going to exclusively be a dac or just a higher quality combo than the e7. Just curious if anyone else is interested in this and if theres any info out there that I'm just not finding. Speculate away!

Sorry guys I know this is a very noobish question before I even ask, but what is 96/24? How important is whatever this figure is? And how much better do you think the e17 will be compared to the e7? I currently have the e7/e9 and happy with this set up just curious to see what else fiio is coming out with.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #36 of 352
96kHz/24bit means high definition audio, as opposed to 44kHz/16bit standard from a Red Book CD. It's only beneficial to have HD audio equipment if you have HD music for it to play. E17 has not been compared to the E7 yet, and won't be released until much later this year.

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #37 of 352
 i thought CD/Flac was the best quality. Where do you get HD music?

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #38 of 352
The sound science subforum is a very good place to learn about the differences.

Basically you can find labels such as 24bit or HD on the disk.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #39 of 352
fiio e17  should have an aux in at the same side as the head out ^_^ cause when i use the e7 with the ipod both sides has cables sticking out so i found it hard to put it in my pocket :frowning2: with out being scared that ill break either cable

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #40 of 352
We had decided to develop E15 first, and them we can move the same DAC converter, 96k/24bit converter and some other technology  into E17, it can decrease the risk of R/D and 

save some time. btw, E15 is more like a desktop E17 because some people ask us to develop such model.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #41 of 352

Quote:
We had decided to develop E15 first, and them we can move the same DAC converter, 96k/24bit converter and some other technology  into E17, it can decrease the risk of R/D and 

save some time. btw, E15 is more like a desktop E17 because some people ask us to develop such model.

So...E15 is a 24/96 DAC that is not portable? Does this mean it will not be directly compatible with the E9 as E7? 

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #45 of 352
Wait, so the E15 is a desktop DAC? I thought it was a succesor to the E9? Is the E15 fully DAC or DAC/AMP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back