FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Oct 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #6,211 of 6,777

The fact that it continues to function properly with your MacBook Pro means that the E17 itself is likely OK. By chance do you have another Windows PC that you can try the E17 on? Perhaps a Windows virtual machine (VM) on you MBP (running under VMWare Fusion, Parallels or Virtualbox). If you're able to try the E17 and it works on another Windows PC (as well as your MBP), most guaranteed it's something to do with the USB drivers on your original Windows PC. Alas, troubleshooting USB driver issues can be a real nightmare.

Have you installed any new hardware or software on your Windows PC recently, especially since the problems started? If so, can you try to uninstall the software and/or hardware and see if that resolves the issue? I'd also recommend using a registry cleaner like CCleaner from Piriform. I use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) frequently on my Windows PCs and it definitely seems to help in keeping the Windows PCs running a lot more smoothly.

If on the other hand, you try the E17 on another Windows PC and it too has the same problems, then there is the possibility that your E17 has developed some unique new failure. The fact that it works on your MBP means it's most likely the E17 is fine. Let us know how you make out after trying the E17 on another Windows PC.

Dale

Okay so ive just tested it with my windows 7 that is running on my MBP via bootcamp partition and it works fine, in fact it worked as soon as I plugged it in and it installed the drivers. 

I've just run CCleaner and tried the FiiO again, but it still doesnt work.. 

So I may have a USB driver issue?? I have no idea because it picks up the E17 and installs the drivers perfectly fine, it's just the audio that doesn't want to run through it.. I have disabled the realtek sound card and tried to use the E17 but i still get an error message saying that no audio devices are plugged in and have to enable the sound card again..

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #6,212 of 6,777
It might be a Windows side bug. I have a hard time switching away the output from my desktop DAC/AMP it's really annoying... I've basically lost the ability to use my speakers as desktop audio output, even though the sound settings clearly show that I have selected and should be using Speaker output.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #6,214 of 6,777
Yeah... if I ever manage to find the issue I'll post although mine is involving not being able to output via speakers, which I guess is the exact opposite. The root of the problem should be the same thing.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6,216 of 6,777
Realtek DAC sucks. I have the same on on my PC and laptop. E17 destroys it!

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #6,217 of 6,777
  Realtek DAC sucks. I have the same on on my PC and laptop. E17 destroys it!

Yeah I find that the FiiO e17 running straight out of the pc improves the sounds heaps. 
Do you know whether the e17 bypasses the Macbook pro DAC?

Oh I should Also mention that I tried the optical output on the realtek into the E17 but the same thing happens so maybe it's not a USB issue..

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #6,218 of 6,777
Yeah I find that the FiiO e17 running straight out of the pc improves the sounds heaps. 
Do you know whether the e17 bypasses the Macbook pro DAC?

Oh I should Also mention that I tried the optical output on the realtek into the E17 but the same thing happens so maybe it's not a USB issue..
It will bypass the Mac's DAC as well you have to select it as your output device in the audio control panel.

I would try uninstalling your Realtek audio drivers from the Programs control panel and reinstalling them after a reboot. Reinstall them with your MB/Computer manufacturers drivers or new ones from the Realtek website.
:beerchug:

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #6,219 of 6,777
Hi guys, I have heard that using apps like Poweramp improves the sound of android devices. Will using apps like these still improve the sound even while using the fiio e17? Or are those apps redundant if i use the e17. I am currently using the stock player on my Galaxy Note II.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #6,220 of 6,777
Hi guys, I have heard that using apps like Poweramp improves the sound of android devices. Will using apps like these still improve the sound even while using the fiio e17? Or are those apps redundant if i use the e17. I am currently using the stock player on my Galaxy Note II.

You may want to look into the E18 instead if you have the Note 2. I have the Note 2 and the E17. I haven't been able to get the E17 to work as a DAC with the Note 2.

I am actually going to pick up an E18 right now. I tested briefly with my Note 2 last Sunday and it worked very well.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #6,221 of 6,777
You may want to look into the E18 instead if you have the Note 2. I have the Note 2 and the E17. I haven't been able to get the E17 to work as a DAC with the Note 2.

I am actually going to pick up an E18 right now. I tested briefly with my Note 2 last Sunday and it worked very well.

I plan on testing out that amp at a local store, comparing it with the e17 and other amps too. I also plan on using the same device for listening to music on my computer as well through my TF10x4. My main concern is that the stock player will greatly deteriorate the sound signal coming out of my note 2, which i plan on using to demo the amps, giving me a flawed comparison of the amps.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #6,222 of 6,777
Has anyone managed to make the E17 work with a lighting port in the iPhone 5? I have a lightning to USB camera adapter but when I connect the FiiO I get an awkward message that it requires too much power...

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #6,223 of 6,777
Has anyone managed to make the E17 work with a lighting port in the iPhone 5? I have a lightning to USB camera adapter but when I connect the FiiO I get an awkward message that it requires too much power...

Yes, you just need to put a small passive (unpowered) USB hub inbetween the CCK (Lightning to USB camera adapter) and the E17:

iPhone 5 -> CCK -> passive USB hub -> E17

You also need to turn off USB charging in the E17 menu and the iPhone needs to be running 7.0.x iOS.

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back