FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Oct 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #6,196 of 6,777
Apologies if this has been asked before, but can somebody explain to me what the gain setting is for? When would i adjust the gain, rather than just turning up the volume?

Gain basically makes the amp louder, but I have my E17 on 12 gain, and the volume on normal.
For me it works for my headphones this way:
12 gain makes my iPod volume redundant.

It also makes the bass and treble settings noticeable.

I use the V-Moda M-100. I've found out the hard way it's hard to amp, doesn't need an amp either.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #6,197 of 6,777
I use the V-Moda M-100. I've found out the hard way it's hard to amp, doesn't need an amp either.
Can we get an English translation on that... :D

Bass & Treble controls work in all gain settings except for when LO Bypass switch is enabled.

The LOD cable will bypass an iPod volume control a mini to mini cable wil not.
On my Colorfly C3 the output is very low so I have the gain setting of the E17 on 12. When I have my iPod connected with a LOD L9 cable I only need a gain of 6 to get the same range of volume as with 12 on the C3 since the output of the iPod is higher.
Your best option using an iPod with the E17 is to get a LOD cable, then you don't have to bother with the volume setting on the iPod at all, just use the E17's.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #6,198 of 6,777
Can we get an English translation on that... :D

I use the V-Moda M-100s.
They're hard to amp. They need high gain on the E17, whereas on the E12 they don't need a gain, because if you try, your ears will blow up.

The M-100s don't need an amp. They're hard to amp anyway, if you wanted to amp them (which is expensive, probably not worth it) You'd need something like the Vamp Verza or Headstage Arrow.
As in, the M-100s don't need an amp necessarily, they sound good as is.

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #6,199 of 6,777
SO annoyed with this amplifier. This is the THIRD one I have bought that has had the stupid headphone jack disintegrate. Its annoying because every seller that has them (ebay/amazon) that is not in china seems to have the old stock. As a result, I have to contact fiio and repair them myself.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6,200 of 6,777
SO annoyed with this amplifier. This is the THIRD one I have bought that has had the stupid headphone jack disintegrate. Its annoying because every seller that has them (ebay/amazon) that is not in china seems to have the old stock. As a result, I have to contact fiio and repair them myself.

Good thing contacting FiiO is most times repair is free, and they'll put an new audio jack in.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #6,202 of 6,777
  They wanted to send the jack to me and have me do it.

Yeah... cause it's so much better to spend $35 on a tracked package back to mainland China and wait 8 or 9 weeks turnaround, than 10 minutes with a soldering iron...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6,203 of 6,777
  They wanted to send the jack to me and have me do it.

I've seen that option given to me before, although instead FiiO contacted my "local" authorized dealer from whom I got the E17 from, and had him replace it for me. That way he seller can just send it back to FiiO with whatever next package he has to send, and FiiO can just reimburse the seller by shipping an extra E17 in their next shipment to them.

Don't forget FiiO is still relatively small compared to big consumer brands. By suggesting to send you the parts for a self repair saves you time, shipping fee & hassle, and the wait. But, well, maybe you can see if they can do for you what they provided for me. I thus lost the S/N 999 unit but at least this one is functional.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6,204 of 6,777
hi there!

is it possible to use the E17 as a DAC only?

I have an old stereo system hooked up to my laptop so I can use the larger speakers and I would like to use the DAC funcionality when I'm not using the headphones while I'm at my laptop...

If I understood correctly, if I just plug it in the middle of the line (laptop >> E17 >>coaxial cable>> stereo system), I'm going to be double amping which might not be that good (stereo has an amp)..

this should be possible if I use an LOD and the LO BYPASS function, right? or the LO BYPASS only works with the E09k?

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #6,205 of 6,777
The COAX is an input not an output, what you need is a FiiO L7 line out dock to connect to your stereo.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004QVNS0S

Then you move the LO Bypass switch to on and it will function without double amping. It says for the E7 but it works for the E17 as well.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #6,207 of 6,777
Hey everyone,
I have had my fiio e17 for while now and always used it with my pc.
However recently I have been experiencing a problem. 

When I plug my fiio e17 into the pc, I can never get the audio to come through the fiio, instead it just keeps playing out of the speakers.

The fiio still works, as it works fine with my macbook pro and the pc also reads it straight away when I plug it in.

I have tried uninstalling the fiio's drivers and even unplugged the speakers but it jut doesn't want to let audio through the fiio.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #6,208 of 6,777
Hey everyone,

When I plug my fiio e17 into the pc, I can never get the audio to come through the fiio, instead it just keeps playing out of the speakers.

The fiio still works, as it works fine with my macbook pro and the pc also reads it straight away when I plug it in.

I have tried uninstalling the fiio's drivers and even unplugged the speakers but it jut doesn't want to let audio through the fiio.

thanks.

Have you tried switching to the E17 as your audio device in your control panel. If not, go to control panel, then look under devices and it should have a selection for audio devices. Once you open up your audio devices the E17 SHOULD be listed there. Simply select it as your default and you should be good to go.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #6,209 of 6,777

Have you tried switching to the E17 as your audio device in your control panel. If not, go to control panel, then look under devices and it should have a selection for audio devices. Once you open up your audio devices the E17 SHOULD be listed there. Simply select it as your default and you should be good to go.

Hey thanks for the reply.
Yeah I have tried that but it never seems to do anything the big green tick always stays on the speakers for the default device and when I disable the speakers drivers, then set the fiio as default device it still doesn't produce any audio.. Very strange.. I don't get it because it has worked fine all this time and just now it seems to stop working with the pc.. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #6,210 of 6,777
  Hey everyone,

thanks.

The fact that it continues to function properly with your MacBook Pro means that the E17 itself is likely OK. By chance do you have another Windows PC that you can try the E17 on? Perhaps a Windows virtual machine (VM) on you MBP (running under VMWare Fusion, Parallels or Virtualbox). If you're able to try the E17 and it works on another Windows PC (as well as your MBP), most guaranteed it's something to do with the USB drivers on your original Windows PC. Alas, troubleshooting USB driver issues can be a real nightmare.

Have you installed any new hardware or software on your Windows PC recently, especially since the problems started? If so, can you try to uninstall the software and/or hardware and see if that resolves the issue? I'd also recommend using a registry cleaner like CCleaner from Piriform. I use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) frequently on my Windows PCs and it definitely seems to help in keeping the Windows PCs running a lot more smoothly.

If on the other hand, you try the E17 on another Windows PC and it too has the same problems, then there is the possibility that your E17 has developed some unique new failure. The fact that it works on your MBP means it's most likely the E17 is fine. Let us know how you make out after trying the E17 on another Windows PC.

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back