FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3,841 of 6,777
Well Fiio universality is quite well known... but just saying that many would love to have it. Using a DAC..but have the option to add an even more expensive small form ($500) amp from who knows what. Pico and what not for their IEM's, or even the Ray Samuels pictured above.

I could add my Mini3 and have a semi-portable rig for vacations and use it with my HD650. :p

Related news: since my phone is being repaired at the moment, I'll be using my trustworthy iPod -> Mini3 rig again tomorrow when I'm out delivering mail. This will be the first time in many months.

This rig uses a FiiO line out cable, of course.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #3,842 of 6,777
We are developing a new portable DAC for Android phone which is fully self powered by build in battery, which means it will suitable for iPad too. but I think the iPad DAC is a very narrow market.  

Does FiiO know something the rest of us don't? Current Android builds (4.0.x) don't allow USB digital audio out. It would be great if Google has actually decided to implement this.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #3,843 of 6,777
Does FiiO know something the rest of us don't? Current Android builds (4.0.x) don't allow USB digital audio out. It would be great if Google has actually decided to implement this.

Perhaps they will make an app specifically for the DAC, which can act as an audio driver for the device. It should be possible, I recon.

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #3,844 of 6,777
Quote:

x 2... the many thousands waiting for this to happen...

hope either FiiO finds a solution to this or Google has listened to the many who voted for the implementation.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3,845 of 6,777
So I got the E17 on a whim, because I needed a portable amp and also because it was a great price. I also figured I would use it as a DAC paired with my Little Dot MKIII using the Sennheiser HD595 and the Hifiman HE-400. I was pretty happy with the E17 as a DAC. If I had to describe it in that vein, I'd call it unobtrusive. It lets my amp shine and doesn't throttle the sound. Things were a bit more bright and sparkly on the high end with little change to the lows.

About a week prior, I ordered a Muse DA20 off of eBay for $40 and it just got here yesterday. I just tried it out and overall, I think I like it as a DAC better than the E17. It's also unobtrusive, but it's just got ... some more impact. My music didn't sound much different - it allowed the MKIII to do it's thing, but it really added some kick to a lot of music. It got right on the line between harsh and punchy and I liked it an awful lot.

Just thought I'd post this for any DAC-curious folks.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #3,846 of 6,777
Frustration ahoy!

I posted earlier in this thread about my E17 which had a flashing red light rather than a stable glow, which appeared to have something to do with the battery not being able to receive any charge. If anybody else gets this, or their device doesn't charge up properly, (according to the people at AVshop (amazon.uk seller I got it from)) it's bad enough to return the E17 for a replacement.

Which I did... BIG MISTAKE! Sent it via DHL with a return label last tuesday and then everything went silent. After several emails to different people I finally got an aswer today, stating that they had no idea what was going on because their service guy was sick and nobody had seen my package. So, unless a miracle happens, no E17 this vacation. Which was partly why I got one in the first place.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #3,847 of 6,777
Frustration ahoy!

I posted earlier in this thread about my E17 which had a flashing red light rather than a stable glow, which appeared to have something to do with the battery not being able to receive any charge. If anybody else gets this, or their device doesn't charge up properly, (according to the people at AVshop (amazon.uk seller I got it from)) it's bad enough to return the E17 for a replacement.

Which I did... BIG MISTAKE! Sent it via DHL with a return label last tuesday and then everything went silent. After several emails to different people I finally got an aswer today, stating that they had no idea what was going on because their service guy was sick and nobody had seen my package. So, unless a miracle happens, no E17 this vacation. Which was partly why I got one in the first place.

Ouch. That's too bad to hear.

I hope you can still get it back in time.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #3,848 of 6,777
Quote:
Ouch. That's too bad to hear.
I hope you can still get it back in time.

Thanks. :) I do hope so too, but I don't have much hope left.

This seemingly pointless rant of mine actually makes no less than two points, though. Except for the obvious heads up about weird errors somebody might get, I guess I also want to point out that FiiO obviously made such a darned fine piece of earcandy that I now feel somewhat cheated of musical detail when I'm without it.

Before parting with the E17, I tried it with a few different sources and happily, it also made my NAD C515BEE CD player sound a lot clearer, less "veiled" and definitely more natural over both optical (I love having a DAC with optical input) and (less obviously) even RCA. :)

E17, please be back soon!

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #3,849 of 6,777
Quote:
Frustration ahoy!

I think we concluded earlier that Amazon had shipped it to you (under their "Fullfilled By Amazon" scheme). So did you return it to Amazon rather than AVshop?
If so are you using Amazon's Returns Support Centre to track progress? Have you tried tracking the package via DHL?

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #3,850 of 6,777
Quote:

I think we concluded earlier that Amazon had shipped it to you (under their "Fullfilled By Amazon" scheme). So did you return it to Amazon rather than AVshop?
If so are you using Amazon's Returns Support Centre to track progress? Have you tried tracking the package via DHL?

I initially contacted both Amazon and AVshop but Amazon told me to try AVshop first, and to get back to them if it didn't work out. AVshop however told me that they would get new stock to their local support centre in a couple of days, so I opted for getting a replacement as they claimed it would be a quick swap. As soon as they had it in stock, they emailed me with a return label which I printed and attached to the package. All simple and friendly emails with AVshop up until this point. Then, apparently, their service engineer got sick and my e-mails seem to have stuck on their side.

I DO assume, however, that DHL are the ones responsible for this mess. Their package handling is awful and they often send their stuff all over the place before they get to where they were supposed to get in the first place. I tried tracking the package via their site, but got various errors before getting to the actual tracking page, so I can't do that either.

I do have faith in AVshop and their personnel and believe that things will be okay, but I am frustrated atm since it's taking so much time and effort.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #3,851 of 6,777
Eh, you should have been more firm with Amazon. I've had to do returns on several items and if you're firm with them, they give you what they want. One time the return just wasn't processed at all even though I sent it back. I shot them an email, told them what happened, and insisted I get a refund, even though the item wasn't sold directly by them. They processed it that day. I've also had them administer several partial refunds on slightly damaged goods of 20% without showing pictures or anything like that - it's never taken more than one email. Amazon support are real pushovers.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #3,852 of 6,777
Quote:
I received mine this morning. Bought using eBay and shipping time only two weeks from China to the UK.

And it sounds sublime. Can finally play 24bit 96KHz FLAC files using Flacplayer on my iPad3. I just hope iOS6 doesn't screw things up in the autumn (fall).

I'm interested in getting this for the sme reason you did.  What cable (and adapters if necessary) are you using between it and the E17?

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #3,853 of 6,777
Sorry, cannot search though 257 pages to see if this has been answered, so - if nothing else, just a recap if I may - Just got the E17 today, but when connecting it to my Win 7 Pro machine, it says that the device driver failed to load...

Could it be because I have run the E7 successfully? - if not (or even if!) - does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #3,854 of 6,777
Sorry, cannot search though 257 pages to see if this has been answered, so - if nothing else, just a recap if I may - Just got the E17 today, but when connecting it to my Win 7 Pro machine, it says that the device driver failed to load...

Could it be because I have run the E7 successfully? - if not (or even if!) - does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

My experience with USB audio devices and Win7 is that they sometimes behave a little weird. Unplugging and replugging the device and restarting your computer once or twice always fixed the issue for me, but I've got to add that it was with a different audio device (the Audio-GD NFB-12). I personally don't own an E17.
The E7 should not have an effect.

Just to be sure -- it does not pop up under playback devices in the sound options? Even when showing disabled devices as well?

Good luck.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3,855 of 6,777
Thanks for the speedy response Tilpo,

I've answered my own question - the E17 needs more USB juice than the E7, and I was running it on a shared port - got it on its own port now, and straight away driver installed, and all is good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back