FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #2,791 of 6,777

Quote:
just what I was looking for. Perfect!
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/3m-dual-lock-and-attaching-your-player-portable-headphone-amp-page-2
apparently 3M dual lock tape has much better hold than velcro...about 2x as strong so you need 1/2 the surface area.
I'm gonna do it for my ipod, PSP, maybe even back of laptop! :-D would work for an iPad or tablet also, so that you can use the LOD cable and not need one that's longer than 3".

The dual lock tape is great with the E17!

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #2,792 of 6,777
It's weird but some people seem to notice a big difference and others don't or think it's worse. Perhaps it could be the combi of E17 + Headphone + (....). I dont know.
But perhaps it takes a while to get used to it, or something. Perhaps some E17's are worse than others. I still have to thouroughly test it, and listen to differences compared to other uses than with E17, (together with my HD 598).

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2,793 of 6,777
Right this might be stupid question time.
My E17/E9 combo arrived today (I intend to use the the setup primarily as DAC feeding headphones and speakers, more so than a portable unit.

On first connection, I was surprised to discover the volume control on the E17 continuing to work independantly of the other volume controls on the speakers/E9. I then realised this was because the LO Bypass to the up position which I assume leaves the amp section of the E17 active. I switched this to the LO Bypass position, and now the volume controls are disabled.

Just to check, I'm assuming this is the best setup for overall sound fidelity, rather than having the amp in the E17 active as well (well I'm assuming active as the volume control/gain etc was working). I've already set the unit to 24/96KHz :)

The combo already sounds good without burn in, or the updated E19 base unit, so the future is looking good :)
No obvious popping and clicking which I'd worried about because you always hear people moaning about Windows/USB DACs :D

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2,795 of 6,777
I thought so, I just wanted to check, it's been a whilst since I last really looked at nice audio kit and I couldnt remember for the life of me. The 'chinglish' description for the LO Bypass switch in the manual didn't help amazingly either
biggrin.gif

Kinda seems strange that it comes with the LO Bypass set to off, so effectively double amps 'out the box', given it's design brief and the fact it is designed to be docked with an E9, and the rumoured E19.

Oh well, sounds great, and certainly handles speakers/headphones in an easier manner than my old Total Bithead, whilst sounding a bit better IMO. Sounds great for natural instrument style arrangements!

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2,796 of 6,777

Right this might be stupid question time.
My E17/E9 combo arrived today (I intend to use the the setup primarily as DAC feeding headphones and speakers, more so than a portable unit.

On first connection, I was surprised to discover the volume control on the E17 continuing to work independantly of the other volume controls on the speakers/E9. I then realised this was because the LO Bypass to the up position which I assume leaves the amp section of the E17 active. I switched this to the LO Bypass position, and now the volume controls are disabled.

Just to check, I'm assuming this is the best setup for overall sound fidelity, rather than having the amp in the E17 active as well (well I'm assuming active as the volume control/gain etc was working). I've already set the unit to 24/96KHz :)

The combo already sounds good without burn in, or the updated E19 base unit, so the future is looking good :)
No obvious popping and clicking which I'd worried about because you always hear people moaning about Windows/USB DACs :D

What kind of source (and how is it connected) do you use with it? 

I still can't get mine to work with optical out from my PC. Sure, it defaults to USB, when I dock the E17 into the E9, but I can still turn it back to optical. Could it really be that you're only able to use this combo with USB? That would suck, since there's no USB output on my Titanium HD -.-

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #2,798 of 6,777

Quote:

What kind of source (and how is it connected) do you use with it? 

I still can't get mine to work with optical out from my PC. Sure, it defaults to USB, when I dock the E17 into the E9, but I can still turn it back to optical. Could it really be that you're only able to use this combo with USB? That would suck, since there's no USB output on my Titanium HD -.-

I use the Optical input on the E17 while docked in the E9.  It looks like you are still having trouble.  That 's a bummer.  I've found with my sound card, it is a bit of a hassle to get the optical out to work, but it looks like you were able to get it to work on just the E17 alone.  I'm at a loss here.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,800 of 6,777
e17 cannot play 192/24 bit flac files !! even at optical output ?!?!?  96/24 bit play via optical but too much popping and clippping !!! I'm using foobar 

FLAC or not has nothing to do with E17. It has to do with the decoder of the FLAC files, meaning the playback software. Judging from the symptoms, it is likely a driver or setting error between Foobar and E17.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2,802 of 6,777
Just got my E17. WOW... this thing is a huge upgrade from the E10, which I owned for several weeks. It's a much bigger gap than I was expecting in terms of sonics. Fiio has really stepped up their build quality as well... makes my E7 look like a piece of junk and sound like one too, build quality is even better than the E10. Seeing this thing in person I would have easily paid $200 for it if not more... Very happy. Great work Fiio! I can only imagine what the E27 would look and sound like... so in closing, E17 is ridiculously awesome.
L3000.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,803 of 6,777
Just got my e17 in the mail like 5 minutes ago, its already unboxed and charging.  Unfortunately the battery had absolutely no power in it when it came so I have to charge it for a bit before I can test it out

EDIT: Charged it enough that it's working and wow the thing sounds pretty nice.  Definitely an upgrade over the E7 that I was borrowing from my friend for school.

Alright after listening to my recording of the royal philharmonic orchestra playing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik movement 1 Allegro (I know this recording quite well), I have come to the conclusion that this DAC is price well below what it is worth.  If you want the best bang for your buck, this little guy is the way to go.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2,804 of 6,777

Quote:
Would a fiio e17 benefit Ultrasone DJ1's?

I'll let you know, give me some time for my friend to return my DJ1's lol.
Edit: hold up, brain crash... I have both now. LOL. I'll PM you.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2,805 of 6,777
So ? What Can I do ?

Check the setting and perhaps try another player, or even another computer? Also, since you are using SPDIF, you need to ensure the SPDIF transcoder chip on your PC support 24/192 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back