FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2,731 of 6,777
I just got my E17 today and have some questions.  Sorry these questions might seem dumb but I'm not familiar with these things

-How do I use my HD600 with the E17 alone?  The thing where you plug it in is too small. 

-Right now I'm using USB from my computer to the E9 and then I put the E17 on the E9...Is that all I need to do to use E17's dac and E9's amp?

-I heard something about this 48k 16 bit thingy which it is showing up on the E17 now...what is that and how do I improve it again?

-Is there any settings you guys would recommend I use to make the sound quality better? 

-I got a some cords, small pieces, etc. in the package with the E17...what are these things for again?

-Is there anything I should know for someone who knows nothing about audio stuff?

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2,733 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks for the info TigreNegrito. I appreciate it. I ordered on the 9th and looks like tracking was updated. It was picked up today in Virginia and my guess is it'll be here around Friday maybe Saturday. I figure if I can't have it by the weekend after ordering on Monday afternoon, the Express shipping of $7 would be a total waste.

Just in case you were wondering, I ordered it Sunday night, it shipped on Monday and I got it today. I did the standard shipping (not expedited) and it shows up as coming in Priority also. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,734 of 6,777

Quote:
What music quality are you feeding it?

I was trying 320kbps as well as some ALAC. Not sure about the soundstage, it SOUNDS better to me, but I won't deny my bias 
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2,737 of 6,777
I know but its an option. I've found that the L7 introduces a lot of interference problems with my E7 but if I plug the E7 into the E9 , that all disappears. It wasn't a ground loop issue either because it should also effect the E9 USB output which it doesn't. 

I would suspect you have a faulty L7.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,738 of 6,777
I have both.. It real depends on your use case.  If it's strictly going to be tied to a desktop and you don't need to go portable, then the E10 will do. If at any time you think that you'll need to go portable, then it's the E17.  Given that, my E10 is sitting in a drawer.. I find the E17 that much better and I do not do the portable thing.. the E17 is either tied to my MacMini or my MBA.

Quote:
Deciding between the E10 and the E17..........

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #2,740 of 6,777
Ok I went to properties spdif properties-->advanced then changed the thingy to 24bit 96k now youtube dont have any sound how can i fix this

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #2,741 of 6,777

Quote:
I was trying 320kbps as well as some ALAC. Not sure about the soundstage, it SOUNDS better to me, but I won't deny my bias 
biggrin.gif

Well I have a treat for you. Nine Inch Nails is offering a free download of one of their album(The Slip) on the official website(nin.com). You get to chose between many formats... including Flac and WAVE at 24/96. Don't know if you like the band but I took the offer :D!! 

It's under the Albums tab when you first open the webpage, then click on the free download button below the 'The Slip' album artwork. The higher quality downloads use bittorrent, just an FYI. I'm currently using VLC player for playback :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2,742 of 6,777

Quote:
Well I have a treat for you. Nine Inch Nails is offering a free download of one of their album(The Slip) on the official website(nin.com). You get to chose between many formats... including Flac and WAVE at 24/96. Don't know if you like the band but I took the offer :D!! 

It's under the Albums tab when you first open the webpage, then click on the free download button below the 'The Slip' album artwork. The higher quality downloads use bittorrent, just an FYI. I'm currently using VLC player for playback :)

Thanks for this.  I was unaware.  ^5

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,743 of 6,777
I bought a pair of AKG Q701s at the beginning of the week, but my E17 didn't arrive until today so I had just been plugging them into my Logitech Z2300's headphone port...

My first impression upon hearing the E17 is that I just wasted $140 (compared a couple 24/96 flac vinyl rips, one 16/48). Even on max volume and at the highest gain setting, the E17 can't match the power of the amp inside the Z2300 anyway... I'm thinking of returning this since I obviously wouldn't listen to Q701s in a portable setting... do DACs/amps experience any significant burn-in or anything that would somehow change my mind?

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2,744 of 6,777

If you want to get rid of it, I'll buy it
Quote:
I bought a pair of AKG Q701s at the beginning of the week, but my E17 didn't arrive until today so I had just been plugging them into my Logitech Z2300's headphone port...

My first impression upon hearing the E17 is that I just wasted $140 (compared a couple 24/96 flac vinyl rips, one 16/48). Even on max volume and at the highest gain setting, the E17 can't match the power of the amp inside the Z2300 anyway... I'm thinking of returning this since I obviously wouldn't listen to Q701s in a portable setting... do DACs/amps experience any significant burn-in or anything that would somehow change my mind?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #2,745 of 6,777
Is it better to have lo bypass on?  I got the E17 connected to E9 btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back