FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 10, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,701 of 6,777

Quote:
what are we gonna do when our beloved little device stops holding a long enough charge?  Wonder if battery will be replaceable at all

Just read an article on lithium batteries...I was surprised to find out that like someone pointed out earlier in this thread, it is not good to completely discharge your battery.... or even store at full charge.  There is no memory effect whatsoever and there is no conditioning needed at all. 

Should be replaceable, but who really knows.

The thing about modern li-ion batteries and charging systems is that they never truly fully charge. I know that iPhones are a specific example, but i believe it's true for all batteries. The battery charges up to 100%, or nearly there, then runs off to about 90% of full capacity, at which point your device displays "100% charge". Same for discharging. Most devices will shut off before the batteries are completely run out as it prolongs life.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,703 of 6,777

Quote:
I got the "Boost Magic" app and that seems to manage the battery well on my iPhone.  Maybe it just tweaks the battery meter, who knows, but if I follow it's recommendations and charge it accordingly, I get great results.

Sorry to burst your bubble on this, but just about every app claiming to boost your battery life is pure snake oil.  There is no simple software fix for iOS or android in regards to battery life.  The best thing you can do for battery life is to monitor for apps that are preventing the phone from entering standby/deep sleep.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,704 of 6,777

Thanks for the feedback Feiao. It isn't much of a big deal, but something take care of for future versions of E17 or maybe via the E19 if you get to that. Thanks for pointing out the Fiio feedback folder. The Fiio E17 really is a great product - keep up the good work!

Quote:

Sorry, it is a bug but it can not be fixed by yourself unless you send back to us. also it is the same to adjust the volume to the level you are satisfy at 6dB so you don't need to adjust the gain 

BTW, any new bug or quality report please post on our sub forum, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f180/   

you know, this thread become too long and hard to track all the feedback about bugs and quality problem. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #2,705 of 6,777
Not sure if people know, but it's up on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/FIIO-E17-Alpen-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334117274&sr=1-1

The price is not so good however...
frown.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2,706 of 6,777

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble on this, but just about every app claiming to boost your battery life is pure snake oil.  There is no simple software fix for iOS or android in regards to battery life.  The best thing you can do for battery life is to monitor for apps that are preventing the phone from entering standby/deep sleep.

Not sure about iOS but for android there is an app that allows you to clock down your CPU which would help preserve battery life

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #2,708 of 6,777

Quote:
The DAC in the E17 is used on the E17/E9 combo if you connect your source via USB into the back of the E9 or Optical/Coax on top of the E17.  This can't be done with an iPod or iPhone, unfortunately.  You can only bypass the internal amp and not the DAC on the iPod or iPhone, and that is done by using a LOD.  On the iPad, you can bypass the internal DAC by using a powered USB hub and a Camera Connection Kit (CCK).  However, I've been experiencing distortion (or better described as a crackling noise) when using the FLAC Player app on my hi-res FLAC files.  I'm working with Dan Leehr on hopefully correcting this.  The normal  "iPod" interface on the iPad works fine however, and makes my ALAC files sound wonderful!!  When using a USB or SPDIF connection, the combo uses the E17 for the DAC and E9 for amp - or if you switch the bypass switch on the side of the E17 you can dual amp the signal using both the E9 and E17, which also allows you to use the EQ functions on the E17.

For your iPhone, your best set up is probably using the L3 (which I believe is the higher quality LOD of the ones you have) and plugging it into the back of the E9.  I believe you can then move the switch on the E17 so you're using the amp in it as well.  I can't remember which way you have to have it switched to get it to use the amp on the E17.  If you hear a difference from changing any of the EQ settings, you know you've got it set correctly.

I'm going to make an assumption here.  Since you have an iPhone, you probably have a computer with iTunes.  If so, this is where you can make your E17/E9 combo shine.  Maybe not so much with iTunes, but with your computer.  To do so, I suggest downloading Foobar and some hi-res tracks from a reputable source such as HDTracks.  Connect your computer to the E17/E9 combo via USB or better yet SPDIF if you have it, and enjoy your music like never before!  You can also enjoy your (hopefully) ALAC files in iTunes this way.  This would probably be the equivalent of playing the music on your iPhone if you could indeed bypass its internal DAC.  Unfortunately, this isn't very portable, but neither is the E17/E9 combo...

I hope this helps and answers your questions.

So in order to use E17's dac and E9's amp on my computer, connect a usb thingy in my computer then put the other end in the E9 then it will use the E17's dac and E9's amp?  I heard you gotta put the thing in lo gain but is it for e9 or e17?  I havent gotten my E17 btw, ordered it on saturday morning.  when should i expect it to arrive at my house?

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #2,709 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks panz.

How do you go about learning which game has good audio? I always hear people say Battlefield has really good audio, does BT3 also use low quality?

frown.gif
 your braking my heart.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2,710 of 6,777
Almost certainly battlefield is using heavily compressed audio, it has to fit onto a dual layered dvd for xbox 360 and that limitation is usually the bar for quality, cross platform games will most often just use the lowest common denominator for their file sizes, and that includes textures and audio, with exceptions being made for good production studios, utilising the power of the PC or the space on a blu-ray disc.

Only true way to find out would be to look at the install folder of the game and start digging, for instance I know where in the .MPQ files (World of warcraft uses as their custom version of an archive) I would be able to find their audio samples, with those .wav files or whatever there are( i cant remember ) I'd be able to discover the quality.

So either find someone who has found the soundtrack files / sound effects and ask them, or dig for yourself .

Dan :) 

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #2,712 of 6,777
Can someone just confirm for me that the only way to use the E17 as a DAC only (e.g., to bypass the e17 amp and use an external amp) is with the L7 line out dock?

YES.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,713 of 6,777

Quote:

I agree, but that's what I meant by following it's recommendations.  It suggested a couple of things I hadn't thought of and by killing those background apps, my battery life was way extended over what it was prior to making those changes.  Perhaps those recommendations are common knowledge to you and others, but they weren't for me so it was still an effective app, no matter how oily it may have been.  Especially for 0.99 cents.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #2,715 of 6,777
Thanks, Clie.  I forgot to try that set-up last night and there were a few tracks I felt were a little on the fuzzy side due to the dual amping when docked.  I'll give them a listen tonight using the L7 as an interconnect.

Be sure the 'LO bypass' switch is in the correct position as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back