FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,641 of 6,777
Although I have to say as well, I don't think my HD555's really benefit that much from amplification. I sort of expected such, but its still a nice improvement until I decide what headphones I'd like to go with next.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #2,642 of 6,777
Also, to comment on the Gain, the noise floor is VERY low on the E17

I've got it driven from my Striker through the optical out, and i was needing to put it to 60 (max) at 6dB gain to get a good "loud volume" listening volume. I figured, what the hey might as well try 12dB gain. On my good recordings, there's no noticeable increase in noise which is awesome for me somewhat-hard-to-drive HD650.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,643 of 6,777
Just placed my order with Micca. Chose the faster shipping for $6.95... I have no patience for audio gear.
evil_smiley.gif

Edit: Already shipped, got my tracking. Sweet...

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,644 of 6,777
Just placed my order for the alpen, I didn't choose the expedited shipping because i still need to figure out how to get usb audio out on my android device.  I'll share the modded kernel with you guys if I can ever get it working and no, it doesn't seem to be as simple as adding the driver, I'll try working with the cyanogenmod team to see if we can get it working for all android phones on at least ICS.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,645 of 6,777

Quote:
Just placed my order for the alpen, I didn't choose the expedited shipping because i still need to figure out how to get usb audio out on my android device.  I'll share the modded kernel with you guys if I can ever get it working and no, it doesn't seem to be as simple as adding the driver, I'll try working with the cyanogenmod team to see if we can get it working for all android phones on at least ICS.

would the point of this be to have line out sound, or bypass the internal DAC and use a USB dac like the E17?    I'd imagine one would use micro to mini USB cable..

btw, just tried out USB DAC on school's computer which had sound disabled altogether for some reason.  Worked very well and was super easy to plug and play / setup.  Sounded great!!!  :D :D

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #2,646 of 6,777

Quote:
Feiao - thanks to Fiio for a great product, lots of bells and whistles for something with a very small form factor - not to mention it sounds great. I am having a slight problem with my E17 when paired with the E9. Whenever I switch it off it resets the gain to 6dB. Since I prefer using 0dB I have to change it each time I want to use it again. Is there anything I can do to fix this (press some magic buttons or combination of magic buttons
biggrin.gif
... )? Or does the problem lie with the E9 because the E17 works fine by itself? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sorry, it is a bug but it can not be fixed by yourself unless you send back to us. also it is the same to adjust the volume to the level you are satisfy at 6dB so you don't need to adjust the gain 

BTW, any new bug or quality report please post on our sub forum, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f180/   

you know, this thread become too long and hard to track all the feedback about bugs and quality problem. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #2,647 of 6,777

Quote:
so i'm sure you know the Galaxy S2 doesn't have the Wolfson chip in it.  My wife has the Galaxy S2 (sold the Razr already for those who know the story..haha).  It's pretty good--definitely not as bad as my current Huawei phone...

I'm not sure if you can do the Cyanogen Mod.... either CM7 maybe CM9?  With those you can do USB audio :D  You probably already knew this also :) 

I'm quite confident you'll like PowerAmp FAR more than any other media player on android :) 

Some people are reporting 'Negative' with CM9 for USB audio out and I don't want to try as of now as my Galaxy S2 got bricked once when trying to upgrade to CM9 and after a long struggle got a replacement phone just this month (its a big story)...so I don't want to take risk again

Actually I'm currently using 'Rockbox' for android and its much better than PowerAmp as far as I can feel....

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #2,648 of 6,777

Quote:
Although I have to say as well, I don't think my HD555's really benefit that much from amplification. I sort of expected such, but its still a nice improvement until I decide what headphones I'd like to go with next.

Could just be my awful laptop internal audio, but for sure the HD555's benefit from a dac, and the extra power made the bass punchier without any adjustment at all.  Having a lot of fun with the "EQ", it controls the bass in much more crisp fashion than the e7.  Giving it +2 or +4 can make an absolute world of kicking difference.  No need to give 'em more treble.

To be sure, they're only 50 ohm 'phones (unless your's are from an older batch) so they're not a terror to drive.  They won't benefit from an amp like a set of 250 ohm headphones, which will sound like rubbish without an amp.  Moving up from my somewhat-broken e7 and faulty e10, gotta say I am very pleased.  The e10, if it was ever functioning correctly, took all the warmth out of my 555's.  These keep it (I know that's a bit odd, same DAC right?), and with tighter bass control and the ability to back off the treble (or stack it on), not a single complaint yet from me.  It doesn't work miracles, but it's the best I've yet heard my 555's.

Some people are reporting 'Negative' with CM9 for USB audio out and I don't want to try as of now as my Galaxy S2 got bricked once when trying to upgrade to CM9 and after a long struggle got a replacement phone just this month (its a big story)...so I don't want to take risk again

Actually I'm currently using 'Rockbox' for android and its much better than PowerAmp as far as I can feel....

WAIT A MINUTE, someone smack me around and call me Murphy!!  CM9 supports USB audio out???!  Ohhhh yeeeeeeeesssssssss.  I am going to look like such a geek and not even care.  Just waiting on it to be finalized for my phone.  I already have the wiring layout extending from my holstered phone and around my cargo pants planned out!  
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT AGAIN

Looks like my aspirations once again got ahead of my brain, or at least my reading comprehension.  Looks like some people are reporting a decided "no" in regards to usb audio.  Shame.  We'll see, I guess...

EDIT...

Actually looks like a decided "no"...  I'll wait.  Hope is the last thing to die.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,649 of 6,777
If we could get some input from the Fiio guys here...   for a wish list of things that might improve an all ready good product may I throw out a wish...

To me the E17 is all about control...  how you can control the different headphones that we have...   what would be really nice is if we could have an option
for saving presets...   and be able to name the presets...  for example..  a preset for HD800..  a preset for M50...  a preset for IEM...   and others...  it would
be nice to be able to plug in a set of phones, go to the preset that we setup to make the phones sound great with the E17 and just select the preset for the
choice of phones...    all that has to be in the preset is  Gain, Treble and Base adjustments...   that way when I grab a set of phones I don't have to remember
how I set them up the last time I used them... I just select the preset...

thanks for a great product BTW...

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,650 of 6,777
Just got mine in today and I've been charging it for a few hours now...

It still won't turn on...I have the red circle in front though...This thing has been charging since 7pm Eastern time...any suggestions...or should I just wait it out?

Steve from NYC

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,651 of 6,777
I would think it should at least turn on after a couple of hours of charge time...   it could be your USB port on the computer not putting out enough power...  if you have a wall charger
like an iphone charger you could plug it into that and see if it charges faster...   some of my computers USB ports are low in power and I have a dual USB plug where I have to use
two USB ports on some of my equipment or they wont turn on at all...  

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2,652 of 6,777

Quote:

It still won't turn on...I have the red circle in front though...This thing has been charging since 7pm Eastern time...any suggestions...or should I just wait it out?

Steve from NYC

Mine came with the "HOLD" engaged, so that pressing power did nothing.  Flip your hold switch and press power, see if it comes on.  You're definitely charged up far enough at this point.

EDIT

By the way, FiiO, the hold switch is a nice feature.  Prevents buttons getting pressed if it's in your pocket, or if you're done tweaking it and just want the screen off to listen to music in the dark, it shuts that off too!  Really psyched about this product.  Got mine in today so the "new toy" effect hasn't worn off yet.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2,654 of 6,777

Quote:

Steve from NYC

I had the same problem and realised I had the hold switch was on :/

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #2,655 of 6,777
Quote:
so i'm sure you know the Galaxy S2 doesn't have the Wolfson chip in it.  My wife has the Galaxy S2 (sold the Razr already for those who know the story..haha).  It's pretty good--definitely not as bad as my current Huawei phone...

I'm not sure if you can do the Cyanogen Mod.... either CM7 maybe CM9?  With those you can do USB audio :D  You probably already knew this also :) 

I'm quite confident you'll like PowerAmp FAR more than any other media player on android :) 

Hmmm I didn't know they had rockbox for android.... I can't find it in the market. I'm curious how it is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back