FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #1,458 of 6,777

Quote:
just took the plunge.  preordered the e17 plus the free brainwavz headset.  woot woot

getting dt880 pro tomorrow......!

i have the dt990/600...although there similar i absolutely love my dt990 with my e9+e17 so i would imagine it would be similar for the dt880.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #1,461 of 6,777
Should I get the CmoyBB now or just wait for the E17 to get in stock at miccastore? The more I read about the CmoyBB the more I lose patience for the E17 which I want really badly too. 

Anyone have any comparison between the two also? 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,463 of 6,777
Well I too contacted mp4nation about my order and they confirmed that their next shipment won't be until March. I don't mind waiting another two weeks but I'm worried about it getting pushed back further and further. Unfortunately I have no idea how many other preorders are before me or how many units Fiio is shipping to them in each batch :frowning2:

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,464 of 6,777
I've been keeping up with this thread since I ordered, and I dont think I'll be canceling it, I'll wait it out. 

The way I see it, I've been living without a portable amp/DAC all this time, I can wait a few more weeks, plus nothing seems to have the same/better features at the price point of the E17

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,465 of 6,777

Quote:
Should I get the CmoyBB now or just wait for the E17 to get in stock at miccastore? The more I read about the CmoyBB the more I lose patience for the E17 which I want really badly too. 

Anyone have any comparison between the two also? 

After having the E17 for a couple weeks, and now just looked at the CmoyBB, I'd have to say wait (I know that's not what you wanted to hear).

The E17 is so versatile, and sounds so good (to my ears).  I can't actually believe I've thought about this.....but I may want another one....so I don't have to move it around so much (workout amped rig and desktop dac/amped rig).  I know 
blink.gif

rolleyes.gif
 right?  

In the end with the CmoyBB, it doesn't have the adjustable Bass Boost, just On or Off....  The variable treble and bass of the E17 is very nice, I use it album to album and IEM vs. Headphones all the time.  It's implemented well and just WORKS like it's supposed to.

IOW, I'm still lovin' the E17!  

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,467 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
just took the plunge.  preordered the e17 plus the free brainwavz headset.  woot woot

getting dt880 pro tomorrow......!

i have the dt990/600...although there similar i absolutely love my dt990 with my e9+e17 so i would imagine it would be similar for the dt880.

do you find the e17 lacking by itself?  if so, by how much?  

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #1,468 of 6,777

Quote:

Just did a 10 minute test with and without the e9 with a few songs and what i noticed is that with the e9 the mids seem a bit recessed (i don't really have a problem with that since i like the feeling of a larger sound stage) HOWEVER the overall sound is more balanced. Now just the e17 alone plugged in the mids were obviously more forward, almost sounding very similar to my grado sr60s. On the downside it did feel a bit more harsh and didn't sound as balanced with the e9 but given that the e17 settings can be tinkered with you can probably tone the treble down a bit. To sum it up and give you an answer...i can't say the e17 is really lacking by itself but more of a personal preference kind of thing. I think the e17 can drive the dt990 to a decent level but not to it's full potential and i would much prefer to use the e9 along with the e17 with lo bypass. Hope that answers your question.

Given that you have the DT880 i'm not sure how it would sound with the e17 as i've never heard the DT880 so my experience will be quite different than yours since the DT990 are known to be bright.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,469 of 6,777
Ugh i hate being a consumer, I only recently had my Fiio e7 + e9 for about a month. Now i just decided to pre-order the 2nd batch of Fiio E7 on mp4nation. I'm so poor =/ now. I really hope it'll be a nice upgrade like everyones talking about.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,470 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:

Just did a 10 minute test with and without the e9 with a few songs and what i noticed is that with the e9 the mids seem a bit recessed (i don't really have a problem with that since i like the feeling of a larger sound stage) HOWEVER the overall sound is more balanced. Now just the e17 alone plugged in the mids were obviously more forward, almost sounding very similar to my grado sr60s. On the downside it did feel a bit more harsh and didn't sound as balanced with the e9 but given that the e17 settings can be tinkered with you can probably tone the treble down a bit. To sum it up and give you an answer...i can't say the e17 is really lacking by itself but more of a personal preference kind of thing. I think the e17 can drive the dt990 to a decent level but not to it's full potential and i would much prefer to use the e9 along with the e17 with lo bypass. Hope that answers your question.

Given that you have the DT880 i'm not sure how it would sound with the e17 as i've never heard the DT880 so my experience will be quite different than yours since the DT990 are known to be bright.

thanks.  Well, the dt990s are known to be a bit mid recessed by themselves as well, (not as much as the dt770).  the dt880 are terrifically balanced.  

I guess my real question about the amps is, do people who don't need to change EQ get amps? even if they have enough volume from their device?  my phone and PSP barely has me listening to the dt880 at normal listening level, but everything else i have including laptop and Ipad2 have more than enough volume......  thank you :D

if it's just volume...then I might as well cancel my preorder and get the e11...or even e6 which will be easier to carry around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back