FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #1,444 of 6,777
Micca Store tweeted this earlier today!

"FiiO E17 - Second batch on their way, will continue with additional tweet updates daily. Second batch will have same bundled items as first."

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,445 of 6,777

Quote:
Really? You may need to read up on how important Asynchronous USB is.

You've never owned a headphone amp before, right? The "feature" was a must-have and a lot of hifi blogs advertised it as this extremely important, must-have end-all. The fact is, the difference in how you transmit over USB is very, very minimal.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,447 of 6,777
Hate to disappoint you but I have opened a ticket yesterday on mp4nation and the response from CSR was that they truly delay 2nd batch untill early March. he also inquired if I want to cancel my order... I'm not sure about iBasso D7 for my HD600s but ... yea.. dont know 

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,448 of 6,777

Quote:
Hate to disappoint you but I have opened a ticket yesterday on mp4nation and the response from CSR was that they truly delay 2nd batch untill early March. he also inquired if I want to cancel my order... I'm not sure about iBasso D7 for my HD600s but ... yea.. dont know 

That's disappointing. It's worth noting, however, FiiO said the second batch wil be delayed until early March, too, but that there were two shipments in the first batch.

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,449 of 6,777

Quote:
You've never owned a headphone amp before, right? The "feature" was a must-have and a lot of hifi blogs advertised it as this extremely important, must-have end-all. The fact is, the difference in how you transmit over USB is very, very minimal.

Nice try. Spinning will get you nowhere. USB is one of the worst methods for transporting audio.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,451 of 6,777
Huh, this DAC and amp are quite superb. According to cursory measurements (can't take the graphs due to silly NDA) these are truly E7 improved.
Esp. jitter and THD+N are better, everything is as linear as it should be, for all 16 Ohm, 32 Ohm, 80 Ohm and 300 Ohm loads.
SNR is as advertised, unlike certain other "24-bit" DACs.

Gain slightly worses THD+N, but it's still below 0.01% everywhere. Oh, and unlike E7, I couldn't get it to clip with my test gear.
Crosschannel bleed is more than 20 dB better too at highest end, which does improve imaging.

Not to mention usability is far higher due to 1) switchable input sources 2) better sockets 3) hold latch. Perhaps the only thing that's worth improving is putting an even larger Li-Ion cell inside - shouldn't be too heavy or too large with, say, 2500 mAh. There could also be input detection in the input switch, so that it'd skip over silent inputs, unless everything was silent. (might be hard to implement for AUX though)

Shell seems somewhat sturdier than E7 too. bezels, smaller glass area and rubber feet help.

The DAC/USB part is far better latency-wise than E7; I can get away with a 512 s/s buffer as opposed to 2048 s/s at 44100 Hz.

As for subjective impressions, this does drive RE272 better than E7 or the Aureon at 0 gain, slightly better than the Presonus FP10. Results in tighter and slightly stronger subbass and improved high end extension by about 0.5kHz, nice detail. No tonal changes (as I said, it's linear, also low output impedance)
RE272 is driven well with my -24 dB eq at 42, w/o eq at 22.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #1,453 of 6,777
I just noticed a 3% 'Foreign Transaction Fee' on my Citi Card after dealing with MP4Nation since they're based overseas.  Just a heads up to anyone thinking of using a credit card.  Another reason to wait and buy from a domestic seller I suppose.  Oh well, too late now.  Citibank would probably charge me another fee if I cancel.  Savages.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,454 of 6,777
Try reaching out to Citibank and telling them you canceled your order and you want your money back for the transaction. You can also argue you had no idea the transaction goes overseas.

Quote:
I just noticed a 3% 'Foreign Transaction Fee' on my Citi Card after dealing with MP4Nation since they're based overseas.  Just a heads up to anyone thinking of using a credit card.  Another reason to wait and buy from a domestic seller I suppose.  Oh well, too late now.  Citibank would probably charge me another fee if I cancel.  Savages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back