FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 1, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #991 of 6,777

Quote:
guys really no way to have the E17's dac function work on an ipad? even through a usb hub? thanks

Well gosh darn!! It woks... cumbersome and almost impossible to keep it connected with the USB hub I tried, but it does work! As long as you are willing to live with the 48KHz/24bit sample rate limitation for playback through the iPads iPod app, it's a working solution. Just not overly portable unless you can rig up a battery powered USB hub, which brings us back to bulky and not very portable. A good suggestion though...

EDIT: Looking for a battery powered USB hub? Why not build one yourself? http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=162744

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #993 of 6,777
Just installed E17 on XP and it installed successfully. Windows 7 64bit still having issues after I reinstalled USB drivers, has anyone tried theirs using a USB 3 socket? Unfortunately i am at a point where I will be returning it. Shame as it looks like a good product.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #994 of 6,777

Quote:
Just installed E17 on XP and it installed successfully. Windows 7 64bit still having issues after I reinstalled USB drivers, has anyone tried theirs using a USB 3 socket? Unfortunately i am at a point where I will be returning it. Shame as it looks like a good product.

There will have not any quality problem if you can use E17 on XP or Mac OS. but some user do can not use it on WIN7 32bit/64bit, the reason may cause by some different reason, We will collect all the possibility and tell you how to solve it. below is

some reason need to be noted:

1, Don't use the USB port on the front panel of your PC, it will be better to connect to the USB port on the back.

2, Don't connect to any USB HUB, unless you have a very good HUB.

3, Make sure you had select the right device in audio playback device on your PC and don't forget to check the playback program like foobar , window media center or something like that.

4, Try to unplug and plug again to see if the OS can find the new device and automatic install the driver. and it will be better to charge the E17 to full power.

Also I guess there may some other solution and it will be great if everyone can share together! and please understand that we can only make sure the E17 can support any WIN OS and MAC OS but each PC/MAC is different so it become

mission impossible to us to check out all the possibility.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 1, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #995 of 6,777

Quote:
Well gosh darn!! It woks... cumbersome and almost impossible to keep it connected with the USB hub I tried, but it does work! As long as you are willing to live with the 48KHz/24bit sample rate limitation for playback through the iPads iPod app, it's a working solution. Just not overly portable unless you can rig up a battery powered USB hub, which brings us back to bulky and not very portable. A good suggestion though...

EDIT: Looking for a battery powered USB hub? Why not build one yourself? http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=162744

Great! maybe we should make a USB cable which can support extra power supply!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 1, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #996 of 6,777

Quote:
Great! maybe we should make a USB cable which can support extra power supply!

If you do, you need to make it so that all of the power comes from one of the USB type A connectors with the other USB type A connector supplying just the USB data. In  the picture below, for example, the red connector would supply power and the black one the data. You can't have power on the black one as the E17 will still try to use it - I have two of these 'dual type A to micro USB type B' cables, but neither of them will work connecting the iPad to the E17 since both type A connectors have power connections. Hope that makes sense. And for my work troubleshooting the problem, I get a sample cable to verify that it works. :)

EDIT: just to clarify how the cable would work: the red type A connector would plug into a USB battery or external USB power source (i.e. powered hub or USB wall wart), the black type A cable would plug into the CCK adapter which is in turn plugged into the iPad, and the type B micro USB would be plugged into the E17.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #997 of 6,777

Quote:
 There will have not any quality problem if you can use E17 on XP or Mac OS. but some user do can not use it on WIN7 32bit/64bit, the reason may cause by some different reason, We will collect all the possibility and tell you how to solve it. below is

some reason need to be noted:

1, Don't use the USB port on the front panel of your PC, it will be better to connect to the USB port on the back.

2, Don't connect to any USB HUB, unless you have a very good HUB.

3, Make sure you had select the right device in audio playback device on your PC and don't forget to check the playback program like foobar , window media center or something like that.

4, Try to unplug and plug again to see if the OS can find the new device and automatic install the driver. and it will be better to charge the E17 to full power.

Also I guess there may some other solution and it will be great if everyone can share together! and please understand that we can only make sure the E17 can support any WIN OS and MAC OS but each PC/MAC is different so it become

mission impossible to us to check out all the possibility.

1. I am using an Alienware M14x laptop, and I have tried both USB 2 and 3 with no success.
2. Am not using a Hub
3. Cannot see the E17 in the playback area.
4. Done this many times

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #998 of 6,777

Quote:
1. I am using an Alienware M14x laptop, and I have tried both USB 2 and 3 with no success.
2. Am not using a Hub
3. Cannot see the E17 in the playback area.
4. Done this many times

Feckie - I see your machine has three USB controllers in it, 2 x Renesas USB 3 and 1 x Intel. See if you can try other ports on your motherboard - you have a Intel Series 6/C200 controller on your motherboard and I know that one works with the E17 on Win7 x64 - it's the same controller I have on my Win7 x64 box and my E17 definitely works. It's possible that ports that appear to be USB 2.0 are still connected to the USB 3.0 controllers. Good luck!

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #1,000 of 6,777

Just checked the mail and my E17 arrived a day early.  Unfortunately it's been sitting in the cold most of the day so have it plugged in and charging.  Going to give it an hour or so before I try using it.  Good first sign is that my Mac recognizes it as FIIO USB DAC-E17. Nice surprise, got a t-shirt with it.. 

~~~~~~~

Edit.. OK.. I just had to give it a try while charging.  Did not go through the menus  so I'm assuming it's all at default. Connected it to my v-Moda M80's, put on some Royksopp (The Understanding, Alpha Male) and I like what's coming out of this.  Bass is definitely tighter  and it sounds a little more open than on the E10. Not bad out of the box.  Also, it does not suffer from the famed E10 plug problem.  I have the iPhone cable on the M80's and the connection is perfect. On the E10, I have to switch to the standard, non remote cable.
Just for giggles, I played 'Alpha Male' through my Matrix Mini-i.. a little more open,airy, dynamic and controlled but not as much as you think for 2.5x the price.  Good Job FiiO!  Still need to test it with my HD650's and HD25's.

Going to let it run all night and see what it's like tomorrow. It may open up after some burn in.

Great! I'm waiting for your impressions of the E17 with both Sennheiser's... 
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #1,001 of 6,777

Quote:
Feckie - I see your machine has three USB controllers in it, 2 x Renesas USB 3 and 1 x Intel. See if you can try other ports on your motherboard - you have a Intel Series 6/C200 controller on your motherboard and I know that one works with the E17 on Win7 x64 - it's the same controller I have on my Win7 x64 box and my E17 definitely works. It's possible that ports that appear to be USB 2.0 are still connected to the USB 3.0 controllers. Good luck!

Tried every USB port with no success, uninstalled all USB drivers and reinstalled with the same result. Connect E17 to another laptop with Windows 7 64 and had the same result. Sigh. Reinstalled all Laptop drivers and updated BIOS and still does not work. 

I have the E17 turned on with it set to USB before connecting, this is right isnt it?

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #1,004 of 6,777

Quote:
Tried every USB port with no success, uninstalled all USB drivers and reinstalled with the same result. Connect E17 to another laptop with Windows 7 64 and had the same result. Sigh. Reinstalled all Laptop drivers and updated BIOS and still does not work. 

I have the E17 turned on with it set to USB before connecting, this is right isnt it?

Just to clarify - have you been able to get the USB to work on any laptop, PC, Mac or Linux box? If not, and even if so, have you tried the hardware reset by disconnecting all cables, turning the unit off and then inserting a pin/thin paperclip into the reset hole on the top, between the headphone and SPDIF input jacks? You can also try doing a software reset to load defaults using the System menu. In fact, I'd try the software reset first, and then resort to the hardware reset if the software one still doesn't let you use the E17 via USB.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #1,005 of 6,777

Quote:
Bose quietcomfort 15 with E7 or E17?
any suggestions will be appreciated
thanks

Did you see my reply to your original post asking the same question? See post #989 in this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back