FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #76 of 6,777
For people who want to know how can he benefit from an headphone amp, I have some opinion by myself.

1, There are two kind of amp, one is designed to provide enough power output so the headphone can get enough power so you can get 100% SQ.

another kinds is designed to modify the SQ, for example, you have a " cool " headphone, so you want a " warm " amp to change the system to “warm ”, or you are Bass lover so you need a amp with

bass boost if the bass of your headphone is a little weak.

2, To make sure how big the different you will get by add an portable amp in your system, first you need to know what you have and what you are looking for.

for example, usually big cans need a headphone amp because almost all need much more power than a mp3 player or smartphone can provide, of course it can sound, but the SQ is not so good,

so it is easy to reply that if someone ask me when he has a headphone which with low sensitivity or high impedance because 99% person can hear the different between amp and without amp.

but is will be very difficult to me to reply when someone have special taste of the SQ, someone love heavy bass and some don't , some love Rock, some love Classic, so that is why there are so many kinds of hi-end brands,

So there will not have standard reply unless you know what kinds of sound you love and will you have enough listening experience to identify the subtile different in SQ.  

3, Also remember everyone have an unique ear and change by ages, I had discussed with the Sound Engineer from Westone, they told me that there may have 10 - 20 dB listening different for some people in some special frequency,

so it is not strange that you may feel there are not any change when you buy am amp and pair with your headphone. so the best is read more review and feedback in head-fi, you will not be wrong if so many user said that they like

one special amp , and it will be great if you find they use the same earphone/headphone that you have.

LOL, it is quite long and not easy to me to explain my opinion, hope someone can help me explain it better!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #78 of 6,777

Quote:
sorry if allready asked or mentioned,
but what happen if e17 and e9 are combined?
e17 dac, powerded/charged by e9 and output amped by e9?
and which of the both does have the better amp?

thx

When docked E17 to E9, E17 will act as the DAC for E9. Yes, it will be powered/charged by E9 at the same time. You can either set the E17 to send the line-out to E9, or you can set it to send the pre-amp out to E9 (which means the EQ on E17 will have effect on E9). If you have hard to drive headphone, E9 will do a better job at driving it. If you are using easy to moderately hard to drive headphone, E17 itself is enough and probably sound a little better as well.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #79 of 6,777

Quote:
Did you go for the free headphones, or the FedEx shipping from MP4Nation?  The headphones have got some fairly decent reviews over on Amazon!

I got the free FedEx shipping. If i recall from mp4nation, anything i buy from them usually takes a very long time to ship so i figured FedEx might quicken that process. But now that you mention it i think i should have gotten the Betas as a backup iem =/

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #80 of 6,777

Quote:
When docked E17 to E9, E17 will act as the DAC for E9. Yes, it will be powered/charged by E9 at the same time. You can either set the E17 to send the line-out to E9, or you can set it to send the pre-amp out to E9 (which means the EQ on E17 will have effect on E9). If you have hard to drive headphone, E9 will do a better job at driving it. If you are using easy to moderately hard to drive headphone, E17 itself is enough and probably sound a little better as well.

When you power the E9 on or off, does the E17 power on/off at the same time, or does that still have to be done separately, like the E7?

Having to power the E7 on using the side buttons is one of the things I don't like about it, especially considering how it moves around on the E9 connector.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #81 of 6,777

Quote:
I got the free FedEx shipping. If i recall from mp4nation, anything i buy from them usually takes a very long time to ship so i figured FedEx might quicken that process. But now that you mention it i think i should have gotten the Betas as a backup iem =/

I purchased it with the earbuds. Hey, did any of you guys get a "100 dollar reward" pop up? I never ordered form Mp4nation and fell a little worried. The symbol on google chrome when I was signing into Paypal showed a ! sing, saying connection to Paypal is confirmed but some information mite be visible. I usually see a full green lock symbol when paying with Paypal. I typed mp4nation.net on the url...

Edit: I'm thinking of changing my Paypal password and email after the transaction.. good idea? My paypal email says it was sent to GPGS, you guys get the same thing?

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #84 of 6,777

Quote:
When you power the E9 on or off, does the E17 power on/off at the same time, or does that still have to be done separately, like the E7?

Having to power the E7 on using the side buttons is one of the things I don't like about it, especially considering how it moves around on the E9 connector.

E17 will behave the same way as E7, E9 supplies the power, but it doesn't have any control over the device itself.

Quote:

Edit: I'm thinking of changing my Paypal password and email after the transaction.. good idea? My paypal email says it was sent to GPGS, you guys get the same thing?

GPGS is the parent company of MP4 Nation. You should be alright.

Quote:
Thanks for the review, It's good to see this finally hitting the market.

This is just the preview. The actually review will come later so there is more o read, including comparison to iBasso D-zero, T5, FiiO E10, E11 and such.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #85 of 6,777

Quote:

I purchased it with the earbuds. Hey, did any of you guys get a "100 dollar reward" pop up? I never ordered form Mp4nation and fell a little worried. The symbol on google chrome when I was signing into Paypal showed a ! sing, saying connection to Paypal is confirmed but some information mite be visible. I usually see a full green lock symbol when paying with Paypal. I typed mp4nation.net on the url...

Why is it only $135? Wasn't it supposed to be around 150-175?

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #86 of 6,777

Quote:
Why is it only $135? Wasn't it supposed to be around 150-175?

YOU BETTER KNOCK ON WOOD SON!

Also, I have no clue... I was hoping it would be available for pre-order on amazon.

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #87 of 6,777
Does mp4nation ship overseas?

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #90 of 6,777

Users who are viewing this thread

Back