FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #61 of 6,777

Quote:
Hmm would it be a better option to combine the e17 as a DAC along with my e9 OR get the [size=x-small]Audinst HUD-mx1 as a Dac with my e9. I would be using this setup for my AKG K702, SR60 and pro550.[/size]

Never listened to the Audinst before, can't help you there.

Quote:
Thanks! Thinking of getting E17 as a amp + DAC combo to replace the T5 which I may be passing over to someone else 
biggrin.gif

You should be fairly happy there. I can't say teh amp only T5 is, as a whole, better than E17. The SQ certainly isn't that big of a difference. You should be quite happy with E17, though not an upgrade, it isn't much of a downgrade either.

Quote:
It does look really awesome, but the it's the buttons I'm worried. They don't look very easy to manipulate with big fingers.

I have fairly big fingers too and I am fine. It is actually bigger than what it looks like in the picture.

Quote:
Hi ClieOS, great review so far!  Do you have any initial comparisons against the D-Zero, or would you rather wait until your replacement unit arrives?

D-zero is pretty much not a competition here. E17 is a class better, if not more. It has better amp, and better DAC section. Beside size and battery life, I can't see D-zero having any other advantage.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #63 of 6,777
Thanks for the informative information. I ended up pulling the trigger on the pre-order for $127 at mp4nation. I think it'd go nicely as a DAC along with my e9 and replace my PA2V2 portable amp. =)

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #65 of 6,777

Quote:

It should have more than enough volume for HD600 (E17 has a 12dB gain in AUX-in and 6dB gain for USB-in). Whether it will drive it well is beyond me. I don't have any hard to drive full size.

How can it have gain over USB?  Do you mean over a reference voltage or something?  It's not like there's direct gain from the PCM signal to the output.  This is like saying a CD player has a certain level of gain (i.e. doesn't make sense) rather than giving the maximum output in V RMS and/or peak.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #66 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks for the informative information. I ended up pulling the trigger on the pre-order for $127 at mp4nation. I think it'd go nicely as a DAC along with my e9 and replace my PA2V2 portable amp. =)

You should find E17 a technically much better amp than PA2V2, though not quite as colored.

Quote:
How can it have gain over USB?  Do you mean over a reference voltage or something?  It's not like there's direct gain from the PCM signal to the output.  This is like saying a CD player has a certain level of gain (i.e. doesn't make sense) rather than giving the maximum output in V RMS and/or peak.

You are over complicating things. "USB-in" is one of 4 modes in E17.

The gain setting in E17's amp section can be software controlled to either be 0dB, 6dB or 12dB. For "Aux-in" mode (where E17 operate as amp only), the maximum gain is 12dB (over the input signal, presumably line-level signal for most Head-fier). For "USB-in" mode (where E17 is USB DAC + amp, like a PC external soundcard), the maximum gain is limited to only 6dB - in case you are still confused, it means gain over the DAC's output (which is line-level by default, a.k.a. line-out).

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #67 of 6,777
Assuming the E17 allows the maximum output voltage swing for a full scale signal on the USB, that means it can generate >= 20mW into 300 ohms, and since the HD600 is in fact 300 ohms, that means >= 20mW into the HD600. The HD600 has an efficiency of 97dB @ 1mW. The gain at 10mW is 10*log(10mW/1mW) = 10*log(10) = 10dB.  97dB SPL + 10dB SPL = 107DB SPL

The specs do say GREATER THAN or equal to 20mW, so maybe we'll get a bit more. :)

Again - this is assuming it allows the maximum output power/voltage when using it as a USB DAC/AMP, and IMHO it would be very strange if it didn't allow this.

So, my guess is: 107dB SPL into the HD600, or maybe a bit more.

Greg.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #68 of 6,777
OOPS!! The spec is 20mW, as I said, so the correct calculation is: 10*log(20mW/1mW) = 10*log(20) = 13dB gain.   97 + 13 = 110dB SPL

110dB SPL plus into the HD600.

Greg.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #69 of 6,777
If I bought this amp for portable use and desktop use, would it benefit my GR07s SQ wise?
Would it increase the Soundstage, separation , clarity , bass.. would it just make it louder, or how would it affect how the GR07s sound? 

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #70 of 6,777

Quote:
If I bought this amp for portable use and desktop use, would it benefit my GR07s SQ wise?
Would it increase the Soundstage, separation , clarity , bass.. would it just make it louder, or how would it affect how the GR07s sound? 

That depends a lot on what your current setup is, but GR07 in itself is not a hard to drive IEM.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #71 of 6,777

Quote:
You should find E17 a technically much better amp than PA2V2, though not quite as colored.

You are over complicating things. "USB-in" is one of 4 modes in E17.

The gain setting in E17's amp section can be software controlled to either be 0dB, 6dB or 12dB. For "Aux-in" mode (where E17 operate as amp only), the maximum gain is 12dB (over the input signal, presumably line-level signal for most Head-fier). For "USB-in" mode (where E17 is USB DAC + amp, like a PC external soundcard), the maximum gain is limited to only 6dB - in case you are still confused, it means gain over the DAC's output (which is line-level by default, a.k.a. line-out).

Okay, that's fine and makes sense - only if we know what the line level signal output from the DAC is.  Is it a true 2 V peak-to-peak signal, or something less?  These days you never know.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #72 of 6,777

Quote:
That depends a lot on what your current setup is, but GR07 in itself is not a hard to drive IEM.

I use an iPod Touch 4G.
But would there be any difference/improvement in SQ? 

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #73 of 6,777

Quote:
 Is it a true 2 V peak-to-peak signal, or something less?  These days you never know.

I have no idea, but it shouldn't be difficult for WM8740 to have that kind of number,

Quote:
I use an iPod Touch 4G.
But would there be any difference/improvement in SQ? 

I'll say you are fine with the iPod alone but there should be improvement. As for how big an improvement, it is really more of an individual opinion up for interpretation.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #74 of 6,777

Quote:

I'll say you are fine with the iPod alone but there should be improvement. As for how big an improvement, it is really more of an individual opinion up for interpretation.

Ok thanks! :D

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #75 of 6,777
sorry if allready asked or mentioned,
but what happen if e17 and e9 are combined?
e17 dac, powerded/charged by e9 and output amped by e9?
and which of the both does have the better amp?

thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back