FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 16, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #6,766 of 6,777
It's listed as FiiO Q series and calls it Speakers. There is no Supported Formats tab. Could that be because I'm using the line out for my powered speakers? Is that something to be concerned about?
You are using the K5Pro as a DAC right ? The USB cable from your computer goes to the Fiio and then in the front panel of the Fiio you have the speakers connected. Its only one hole in the front of the Fiio. You need connect your speakers to there.
And from the computer you need only USB cable that goes to the back of the Fiio.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #6,767 of 6,777
Could be.
I am not sure about this. You need to see it there (the K series of Fiio) in the Sound settings. If its not there, might be wrong driver installed.
You sure you installed for K5Pro ?

https://www.fiio.com/k5pro_faq
Here click on USB DAC, the big icon in the page.
If you installed that, then should be all fine.
Yeah, it's Sounds, but as I was saying it is listed as
Could be.
I am not sure about this. You need to see it there (the K series of Fiio) in the Sound settings. If its not there, might be wrong driver installed.
You sure you installed for K5Pro ?

https://www.fiio.com/k5pro_faq
Here click on USB DAC, the big icon in the page.
If you installed that, then should be all fine.

That's the file I downloaded and installed. Just wondering why it's calling it Speakers.
Screenshot 2021-01-16 21.51.01.png

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #6,768 of 6,777
That's the file I downloaded and installed.
Ok.
Well, i don't know why it says Q series. Might be because of the driver. Meybe they have same driver for K and Q series. Which is OK to use and should not be differences.

I dont know if it should say "speakers" as well. Meybe is normal. I dont have K5Pro with me to be a 100% sure.
But, if you installed the driver above (which you did) and what i wrote above:

"You are using the K5Pro as a DAC right ? The USB cable from your computer goes to the Fiio and then in the front panel of the Fiio you have the speakers connected. Its only one hole in the front of the Fiio. You need connect your speakers to there.
And from the computer you need only USB cable that goes to the back of the Fiio."

The hole in the front panel is not 3.5mm, keep in mind. There should be adapter in the Fiio box that you insert in it and it becomes 3.5mm on the end and you insert the 3.5mm to your speakers there.

If followed this, all should be fine and good to use.
However if somebody else joins and says if its OK will be better as well. To me looks fine, i just dont know why it says "speakers". Meybe because of this model device and its fine. I am not sure because if you check your old picture with E17, there says "SPDIF Interface". Not "speakers". And thats why i am not sure. Better if somebody else also give opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #6,770 of 6,777
Ok.
Well, i don't know why it says Q series. Might be because of the driver. Meybe they have same driver for K and Q series. Which is OK to use and should not be differences.

I dont know if it should say "speakers" as well. Meybe is normal. I dont have K5Pro with me to be a 100% sure.
But, if you installed the driver above (which you did) and what i wrote above:

"You are using the K5Pro as a DAC right ? The USB cable from your computer goes to the Fiio and then in the front panel of the Fiio you have the speakers connected. Its only one hole in the front of the Fiio. You need connect your speakers to there.
And from the computer you need only USB cable that goes to the back of the Fiio."

The hole in the front panel is not 3.5mm, keep in mind. There should be adapter in the Fiio box that you insert in it and it becomes 3.5mm on the end and you insert the 3.5mm to your speakers there.

If followed this, all should be fine and good to use.
However if somebody else joins and says if its OK will be better as well. To me looks fine, i just dont know why it says "speakers". Meybe because of this model device and its fine. I am not sure because if you check your old picture with E17, there says "SPDIF Interface". Not "speakers". And thats why i am not sure. Better if somebody else also give opinion.

I have it connect by the USB cable that came with it. I have the speakers connected to the line out in the back. So you think using the head phone jack for the speakers is better than using the line out in the back?

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #6,771 of 6,777
I have it connect by the USB cable that came with it. I have the speakers connected to the line out in the back. So you think using the head phone jack for the speakers is better than using the line out in the back?
Whichever way works best. Line out is better for speakers, you are right. Just was thinking will be more easy for you to connect it to the front.
But again, i think its best somebody else give opinion as well for the whole thing.
If you have read the manual, and there is so written to do, then all is fine.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #6,772 of 6,777
Whichever way works best. Line out is better for speakers, you are right. Just was thinking will be more easy for you to connect it to the front.
But again, i think its best somebody else give opinion as well for the whole thing.
If you have read the manual, and there is so written to do, then all is fine.
Looked at the FAQs and answered a couple questions.

7.Why do we see different colors when we look at the indicator light carefully?

Because the K5 Pro uses two RGB lamps, and the yellow color is a mixture of red and green. Due to the difference in the material of the RGB lamps, it is normal for the individual colors to deviate.

10.Do I need to install a driver to connect it with my computer?

Yes, the device name is FiiO Q series.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #6,773 of 6,777
Looked at the FAQs and answered a couple questions.

7.Why do we see different colors when we look at the indicator light carefully?

Because the K5 Pro uses two RGB lamps, and the yellow color is a mixture of red and green. Due to the difference in the material of the RGB lamps, it is normal for the individual colors to deviate.

10.Do I need to install a driver to connect it with my computer?

Yes, the device name is FiiO Q series.

Ok, its good then.
Well, line out is better for speakers, but then you cannot use the volume control, as it only works for the front jack. If i am not mistaken. So you can try both, see how it is. And FAQ and manual helps, yes.

I am not expert, just generally not a lot of people look these old topics, and wanted to help in case nobody answers.
Read the manual, is important. The list with supported formats meybe will appear if you use the front jack. Again, not sure. But meybe thats why it says speakers in Windows, because they are connected to the line out.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #6,774 of 6,777
Ok, its good then.
Well, line out is better for speakers, but then you cannot use the volume control, as it only works for the front jack. If i am not mistaken. So you can try both, see how it is. And FAQ and manual helps, yes.

I am not expert, just generally not a lot of people look these old topics, and wanted to help in case nobody answers.
Read the manual, is important. The list with supported formats meybe will appear if you use the front jack. Again, not sure. But meybe thats why it says speakers in Windows, because they are connected to the line out.
Thanks for trying to point me in the right direction. I sent an e-mail to FiiO to ask if I have it set up right and why the computer lists it as speakers. Main thing is the computer has sound. I don't listen to music as much as I used to do, but since the E17 was getting a bit old I figured now was a good time to replace it before it died.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #6,775 of 6,777
Just to see how headphones sound and make sure the input works I hooked up my Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 earbuds. The input works and they sound pretty good. Kind of hard to remember how they sounded with the E17 since as I said don't listen to music that often anymore. The Altec speakers have a remote so it was easy to turn them all the way down since when you turn up the volume for the earbuds the speakers go up too. How do most people work the volume? I have the computer and K5 both turned up half way.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,776 of 6,777
In general you want the volume to be controlled by the amplifier. So the computer at 100% (thats the volume in Windows control panel, not the one from your music playing program) and then the Fiio or the speakers at what you are comfortable with.

I wouldn't go above 75-80% of the Fiio. May get distortion. Same for speakers.

PC at 100, Fiio at 50-60% and then the speakers as loud as you want them. Seems fine to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back