FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #6,751 of 6,777
that is why there only 120$.
can’t expect much for a price like that I feel.
I'm using an E17 Alpen on my desktop computer as I guess for my sound card. It's working fine, but I have had it for a while. In the event it goes down what was the FiiO replacement/upgrade for the E17? I e-mailed them and they said the K3 or Q5. Would those replace the E17 for what I'm doing, or is there something better? I don't use headphones. Have my computer speakers plugged into that connector FiiO sold on one side with a 3.5 mm plug, and USB cable coming out the other side going to the computer. That's plugged into the E17 USB port.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #6,752 of 6,777
I'm using an E17 Alpen on my desktop computer as I guess for my sound card. It's working fine, but I have had it for a while. In the event it goes down what was the FiiO replacement/upgrade for the E17? I e-mailed them and they said the K3 or Q5. Would those replace the E17 for what I'm doing, or is there something better? I don't use headphones. Have my computer speakers plugged into that connector FiiO sold on one side with a 3.5 mm plug, and USB cable coming out the other side going to the computer. That's plugged into the E17 USB port.

If you still need a portable and don’t want FiiO, here is a somewhat-clear (pricier) upgrade:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460

Otherwise, get this and leave the e17 for travel:

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-E30-...9C9Y79Z5T4S&psc=1&refRID=XZYX0QS059C9Y79Z5T4S

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #6,753 of 6,777
If you still need a portable and don’t want FiiO, here is a somewhat-clear (pricier) upgrade:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460

Otherwise, get this and leave the e17 for travel:

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-E30-...9C9Y79Z5T4S&psc=1&refRID=XZYX0QS059C9Y79Z5T4S

I don't need portable. The E17 stays connected to my desktop computer all the time. I attached a screen shot that shows how the E17 is recognized by my computer. Will both of these do the same?
Screenshot 2021-01-13 14.36.19.png

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #6,754 of 6,777
I don't need portable. The E17 stays connected to my desktop computer all the time. I attached a screen shot that shows how the E17 is recognized by my computer. Will both of these do the same?Screenshot 2021-01-13 14.36.19.png

In Windows, both of the DACs that I linked above should automatically recognize and be installed with default drivers, but will be limited up to 24-bit/96k sampling rate from the default drivers. Therefore, specific drivers will be needed for those DACs to play at higher sampling rates.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6,755 of 6,777
In Windows 10 with recent updates, the UAC2 default driver will allow both DACs to play sampling rates above 24-bit/96k, but possibly not at the highest sampling rate available to them.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #6,756 of 6,777
I'm using an E17 Alpen on my desktop computer as I guess for my sound card. It's working fine, but I have had it for a while.
Good day.

You are using it connected that way for how long ? Like 2-3 years ?
The problem with these devices (e17/17k) is that after years their battery inside gets swollen and that damage the battery itself and can the mainboard inside as well.
That happens at somewhere between 3 and 4-rth year of use, depending on the battery and the use, but generally yes.

If you are happy with it can try to check what is the battery condition. In electronic services they can do it as well. If not, the guys mentioned some Dacs above. You can also check Fiio K5Pro, this is desktop Dac/Amp.

https://www.fiio.com/k5pro_faq

Topping is good as well.

Happy listening :v:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #6,757 of 6,777
Good day.

The problem with these devices (e17/17k) is that after years their battery inside gets swollen and that damage the battery itself and can the mainboard inside as well.
That happens at somewhere between 3 and 4-rth year of use, depending on the battery and the use, but generally yes.

If you are happy with it can try to check what is the battery condition. In electronic services they can do it as well. If not, the guys mentioned some Dacs above. You can also check Fiio K5Pro, this is desktop Dac/Amp.

Topping is good as well.

Been connected like that since the E17 came out. Thanks for the info. Still seems to be working fine. Just wanted to have some options for when it dies.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #6,758 of 6,777
Good day.

Topping is good as well.

Well I thought the E17 was working fine. Since I never mess with it, and leave it on all the time I just noticed the volume controls aren't working and the screen is dead. So I ordered from Amazon the K5 Pro.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #6,759 of 6,777
Well I thought the E17 was working fine. Since I never mess with it, and leave it on all the time I just noticed the volume controls aren't working and the screen is dead. So I ordered from Amazon the K5 Pro.
Well, you could try to reset it. But other than that yeah, for a 8-9 years the battery is i would say 100% swollen and its not very safe to use it like that. If there is no convenient way for you to change it, better look for another device is probably the best choice yes.

Happy listening when the new one arives. :v:

You can write some quick impressions as well later, if you have time and desire to do so of course. Like does it sound different to you and such compared to e17.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #6,760 of 6,777
Well, you could try to reset it. But other than that yeah, for a 8-9 years the battery is i would say 100% swollen and its not very safe to use it like that. If there is no convenient way for you to change it, better look for another device is probably the best choice yes.

Happy listening when the new one arives. :v:

You can write some quick impressions as well later, if you have time and desire to do so of course. Like does it sound different to you and such compared to e17.
The K5Pro came from Amazon today. The E17 I reset it, but screen is still dead. However, I hooked it up to my phone through the AUX and I was able to switch the input so that I could hear music through headphones and the volume controls worked. Not sure what I'll do with it, but at least I know it's not trash.

Now the K5Pro is connected. I installed the driver and it seems to be working. Now as far as it sounding better than the E17 I probably need better computer speakers to really tell. I'm using Altec Lansing VS4221 speakers. If someone would suggest good computer speakers I would appreciate it.

I'm looking at the sample rate and bit depth and is is at 32bit 41000Hz. Have no idea what that is, but is that what should be selected? I listened to the MP3 files I have and only the blue light lights. Is there a certain type of music file that will light the yellow or green light? If there is where can I download one to see if the yellow or green light comes one. I have it set on the 2nd Gain level. Didn't seem loud enough on the 1st level.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #6,761 of 6,777
I'm looking at the sample rate and bit depth and is is at 32bit 41000Hz. Have no idea what that is, but is that what should be selected? I listened to the MP3 files I have and only the blue light lights.
Blue is normal yes. Your mp3 files are below 48 000hz, in the manual says for a signals below 48 000 is blue light.

Now for the settings, go to "Sound" in Windows. Like you did in the picture you posted above. Then there where E17 was in the list, you should now see K5 something. Select it and go to "properties" down on the right.

New window should appear looking similar to this: https://helpdeskgeek.com/wp-content...device-properties-advanced-default-format.png

And here, go to "Advanced". There check what supported formats are and set whatever you like from the list there (and click on OK or Apply yes). Then try to play a song and it should have yellow light not blue one if you selected something with above 48 000hz.

32 bit and 96 000hz is OK to set. Or 24 bit 96 000hz. It should have a lot higher than this, up to 384 or 768 000 hz. But i dont know if you set to max if this will not affect the computer performance.

And then whatever music you are playing on the computer, even from Youtube, it should be yellow all the time.

I have it set on the 2nd Gain level. Didn't seem loud enough on the 1st level.
OK. Well, it is 3-4 times more powerful than e17. Good that it works. Set it as you like.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #6,762 of 6,777
Blue is normal yes. Your mp3 files are below 48 000hz, in the manual says for a signals below 48 000 is blue light.

Now for the settings, go to "Sound" in Windows. Like you did in the picture you posted above. Then there where E17 was in the list, you should now see K5 something. Select it and go to "properties" down on the right.

New window should appear looking similar to this: https://helpdeskgeek.com/wp-content...device-properties-advanced-default-format.png

And here, go to "Advanced". There check what supported formats are and set whatever you like from the list there (and click on OK or Apply yes). Then try to play a song and it should have yellow light not blue one if you selected something with above 48 000hz.

32 bit and 96 000hz is OK to set. Or 24 bit 96 000hz. It should have a lot higher than this, up to 384 or 768 000 hz. But i dont know if you set to max if this will not affect the computer performance.

And then whatever music you are playing on the computer, even from Youtube, it should be yellow all the time.

OK. Well, it is 3-4 times more powerful than e17. Good that it works. Set it as you like.

It's listed as FiiO Q series and calls it Speakers. There is no Supported Formats tab. Could that be because I'm using the line out for my powered speakers?

There was no other 32bit setting so I selected 24bit 96000. Where the blue light was a solid blue now light is a yellow green color. Not a solid yellow or green. The original 32bit selection is gone from the list. So dumb it down for me. What did I do by changing that?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #6,763 of 6,777
There was no other 32bit setting so I selected 24bit 96000. Where the blue light was a solid blue now light is a yellow green color. Not a solid yellow or green. The original 32bit selection is gone from the list. So dumb it down for me. What did I do by changing that?
Ahm...no worries. Nothing will happen to it. Don't worry to change settings. Electric shock might damage this device, like from a lightning during storm or something like that for example. Settings and buttons on it, is just fine.

Green is for a DSD signal i see in manual. If you tried to play such, then it might be green. But i think it may be the LED light (the lamp inside that glows) inside the device that is not well placed around the edges and this is why you see little from yellow and green.
If there is yellow i think its fine and don't worry at all.
24 bit 96 000hz is OK.
You can of course try different ones, its not needed to be what i am writing.
In general what you want to do with these settings is to set them higher or the same as the music you have. So if you listen "Hi-Res" music, labeled as 24bit 96 000hz from somewhere, streaming services, disk or so, you want this setting there to be at least set on 24 bit 96 000hz. Or above this. That way you will have all the frequency range from the file that you are listening and its "Hi-Res".

Now mp3 are 16 bit 44 100 hz or 16 bit 48 000hz, so if you want the best quality out of that, you need to set it to at least 16 bit 48 000hz or above that.

If you go in the Internet and buy a "Hi-Res" albums from somewhere, that are lets say labeled 24 bit 96 000hz or 24 bit 192 000hz and such, then you want this setting there to be at least set to these values so you hear the best quality of your music.

And because this i think 24 bit 96 000hz works fine in general and you can set to this and leave it and just forget about it and listen to your music and use your computer. But if you happen to listen files that are above 24 bit 96 000hz, then its best to go and change it to higher. Thats it.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #6,764 of 6,777
It's listed as FiiO Q series and calls it Speakers. There is no Supported Formats tab. Could that be because I'm using the line out for my powered speakers?
Could be.
I am not sure about this. You need to see it there (the K series of Fiio) in the Sound settings. If its not there, might be wrong driver installed.
You sure you installed for K5Pro ?

Here click on USB DAC, the big icon in the page.
If you installed that, then should be all fine.

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #6,765 of 6,777
Ahm...no worries. Nothing will happen to it. Don't worry to change settings. Electric shock might damage this device, like from a lightning during storm or something like that for example. Settings and buttons on it, is just fine.

Green is for a DSD signal i see in manual. If you tried to play such, then it might be green. But i think it may be the LED light (the lamp inside that glows) inside the device that is not well placed around the edges and this is why you see little from yellow and green.
If there is yellow i think its fine and don't worry at all.
24 bit 96 000hz is OK.
You can of course try different ones, its not needed to be what i am writing.
In general what you want to do with these settings is to set them higher or the same as the music you have. So if you listen "Hi-Res" music, labeled as 24bit 96 000hz from somewhere, streaming services, disk or so, you want this setting there to be at least set on 24 bit 96 000hz. Or above this. That way you will have all the frequency range from the file that you are listening and its "Hi-Res".

Now mp3 are 16 bit 44 100 hz or 16 bit 48 000hz, so if you want the best quality out of that, you need to set it to at least 16 bit 48 000hz or above that.

If you go in the Internet and buy a "Hi-Res" albums from somewhere, that are lets say labeled 24 bit 96 000hz or 24 bit 192 000hz and such, then you want this setting there to be at least set to these values so you hear the best quality of your music.

And because this i think 24 bit 96 000hz works fine in general and you can set to this and leave it and just forget about it and listen to your music and use your computer. But if you happen to listen files that are above 24 bit 96 000hz, then its best to go and change it to higher. Thats it.

It's listed as FiiO Q series and calls it Speakers. There is no Supported Formats tab. Could that be because I'm using the line out for my powered speakers? Is that something to be concerned about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back