FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 18, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #6,706 of 6,777
I have a question for someone on this thread. I have an ipod classic (don't know what generation, as I bought it from someone who didn't know). If I were to get an e17, could I just plug the ipod directly into the e17 via 3.5 mm connectors, and then connect the e17 directly into my headphones? Would that be the way to do it? If not, what would work? Thank you very much for helping someone who is clueless about these connections.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #6,707 of 6,777
  I have a question for someone on this thread. I have an ipod classic (don't know what generation, as I bought it from someone who didn't know). If I were to get an e17, could I just plug the ipod directly into the e17 via 3.5 mm connectors, and then connect the e17 directly into my headphones? Would that be the way to do it? If not, what would work? Thank you very much for helping someone who is clueless about these connections.

Yes that would work, but I use the line-out-dock cord. 32 pin Apple connector to the AUX input of the E17.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L-Shaped-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B005N6ZAT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461264172&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+lod+cable

May 9, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #6,708 of 6,777
It uses a lithium ion battery. As of this moment there is no found DIY self replacement battery. Another user, sounddreamer I believe took apart his E17 for.....for science of course

Here is his pic!

I wouldn't say the battery is insanely or would be insanely hard to find but as the E17 is just barely half a year old. You won't have many people actively trying to find a replacement battery for it themselves already

2:Omit using the dock...why use it anyway? To stand the iphone up? And..... if the iPhone is in a Dock then that means by the definitoin...of a dock the iphone will be plugged in already with another "Dock" connector to the bottom of the device meaning....you CAN'T have used the L9 with it.

3: Cheap listening station in my room would be

AKG K422
ipod touch 2G with L9 LOD and FiiO E5 amplifier.
According to a tutorial the E17 is very easy to replace the 3.7Volts ~1000mAh LiPo battery on. But I think it's a little challenging experience to obtain a seller of this ultra special battery.

May 19, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,709 of 6,777
Hey using this via OTG with an android phone and wondering what volume should i set on the phone? Should i set the volume on the phone to low then control it using the e17 or set it to 100% on the phone?

May 22, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #6,710 of 6,777
My E17 is still going strong after 2 years of use. I recently bought a Mojo which sadly doesnt play Spotify on my Note 2. I had to use the E17 and it surprised me how good it sounded with a variety of headphones. Never once had any playback issues and it played all my apps.

May 24, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #6,711 of 6,777
  Hey using this via OTG with an android phone and wondering what volume should i set on the phone? Should i set the volume on the phone to low then control it using the e17 or set it to 100% on the phone?

Generally it will not matter what volume is set on the phone, but you may try to set it to 100%, so to get better control on the E17K 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #6,714 of 6,777
I definitely prefer the iPhone on max or one step below max in addition to a gain at 6dB (sometimes I gain the BASS on 2 or very seldom 4). Then it depends on the impedance of the headset how high I set my E17 (so called portable Dac - IF you purchase a damn camera-kit etc.).... A low volume at the FiiO with max gain (12dB) does not give nice SQ. If you're into photography it is equal to raise the ISO. Some of my phones prefer 60 at E17s Volume + max iPhone volume + 6dB gain + +2-4 bass eq! That's why I almost always use the E11 together with E17. I obtained $10.00 12cm long minijack to minijack-homemade cables by a man who does his things the right way. These cables are almost as thick as my little-fingers with silver plates OFC and a lot of necassery isolation. Everyone I've asked if they would like to guess the true price on the beautiful made cables guess about 60-80USD each. And that's what they look like! It depends on the phones but the E11 on low gain + EQ1 and medium volume source at max (mostly use TIDAL HIFI lossless files - iCrapunes should be set as low as possible - VOX are ok!) and the E17 about 43-47 (yeah - I'm a fan of more is even more in contrast to those bubble heads that likes intricate jazz-septetts as low as possible)! Now I've finally got the great HA-2 (OPPO) that's a portable Dac/amp and powerbank. I'll try mix it with my E17 or more likely E11 with it instead of putting on the bass-knob and/or high gain knob. My only phones with huge and strong + extraordinarily quality is my cheapest = AKG K550 (50mm) (but the 1977-Pioneer Monitor 10s with even larger diameter <57mm> just screams - pump up the volume = DANCE DANCE). It's horrible to end a listening session with the Monitor 10s who are being recabled (all/the/way + gets new lamb skin leather pads). Those who claim the 10s bass is bad, are unlucky owners of ruined items! The layered bass is eminent on my iMac-Cambridge Magic + - Argon HA-2 (semi-tube preamp/phones amp/poor Dac (bypasses the Dac Magic +). The phone-output on the Norwegian fake of a Chinease brand is far better than C.A.dm+ AND have pre-out to my four pairs Norwegian Argon active speakers (the latest model is the best value for money right now). People just need far better pre-amps compares to the horrible Dac/pre-amps! I used an old NADs preout and the small monitors sounded like a Rotterdam rave. I jumped to turn down the volume because I was sure everything went to hell, BUT the speakers continues to play load and Clear as Norwegian spring-water.. Another example that it's to small amps that ruin speakers - very very uncommon a reason of to much power! People far to often buy huge Cerwin Vega-crap and uses an integrated Harman/Kardon amp = Koko! :loud_sound:
Is anyone capable of telling how to make AKG K550 mkII/Pioneer Monitor 10 77'models balanced? Is it tricky to get the cable from the left to the right channel on them? Any tutorials.

I would very much enjoy a solution to the small Momentum mkI (got them for nothing). If you would like a tip. Use 30% on active speakers and 70+ on cables: interconnects - speaker - power - coax - subwoofer and optical (last ain't to important as long it fits the hole perfectly and are well-isolated "light is light"!

BTW: B&Ws P7s are yet another overrated product from a company whose most expensive solutions even are useless to play Nintendo on 50 000$ set-up. They've produced some fabulous sounding monitors. P3 should've been given leathal injections together with their floor standing tragedies!! If you are lucky enough to come across a Norwegian made mini-Dac (nf = 140dB = flat) w/analog/optical output = buy it! It costed 2400$ when it came, then the price dropped to the ½ of that (24bit/96kHz). It's name is HEGEL Super (one piece brushed aluminum:wink:, and I & I got it for free... I've seen it at 800$ on eBay several times. I'll try to obtain a couple in its home-country and sell them without any advance to show Americans that Norwegian brands (Tandberg, Electecompaniet and HEGEL) outperform McIntosh & **** you're making (xept Schiit:wink:)))

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #6,715 of 6,777
Hi mate i already have fiio e17 i like the review of CENTRANCE dacport massdrop edt do you think is it going to be a upgrade from e17 ? Thnx

What do you mean? The e17k's docking station are out in the shops! Don't downgrade to e17k!!! Buy something else! It's piercing my ears on most cans if not serial connected with the darker e11 (almost free and use similar battery as the most common Nokia-type. Easy to change as well. OPPO ha-2 is in another class than Chinease entry-level products for poor youth or wannabes! Sabre = :loud_sound::musical_score::sunglasses::dart:

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #6,716 of 6,777
ABSOLUTELY, USE IT WITH YOUR SMART PHONE!!!  I have an ancient (Pre Pottery Neolithic A) iPhone 4S with 32GIGs almost exclusively with 80s Post Punk Video Content.  I am running the iPhone 4S as my dedicated MUSIC SERVER with the Fiio E17 serving both as a dedicated outboard DAC a-n-d as my Pre-Amp with TONE CONTROLS (although as an AudioPhile I despise TONE CONTROLS, most of my MTV Videos of THE SOUND, PINK TURNS BLUE, THE CHAMELEONS, ADULT NET, THE OPPOSITION, Sad Giants & Lovers (SLAG), etc. Etc) are low rez affairs requiring a bass & treble boost).

What you DON'T WANT TO DO is use it as a HEADPHONE AMP for your Car Stereo as I did with my ALPINE X001.  I adored the boost & clearity for THREE MONTHS---until it toasted the head unit's MotherBoard---Waaaah!!!!

The E-17 is a stunning unit for the PRICE. It's got a Wolfson DAC (I forgot the number) that can go up to 96Khz/24bits on SOME Computer material.  Don't freaque if it mostly shows 44K or 48k---its rare to get the 96/24 to sync.  The Wolfson DAC is a Killer DAC for 2012 but is a bit dated today [Another reason N-E-V-E-R by a Pre-Amp with a dedicated, on board DAC---they're obsolete the moment they are designed---No, you want a quality LINE STAGE PRE-AMP that you plug in your disposable DAC into.  My iPhone 4S/Fiio E17/Acurus RL11 Line Stage Pre-Amp powered by my matching Acurus A150 Amp sounds absolutely STELLAR.  A Giant Killer $1600 combo in 1995, they can be had USED for about $200 each. The Acurus RL 11 PreAmp can then be modernized for about $600.00 and sound like a MODERN, 'CLASS B' ($6,000.00) Pre-Amp.

FYI, I picked up the Fiio E17 when I returned to school after 12 years on my VET Money. What a trip---the whole campus had kids walking around with HUGE HEADPHONES on their necks connected to their IPHONES or NoteBook Computers. I read the reviews on outboard headphone amps (to boost the Base & Midrange) and the FIIO got great reviews. So I picked up one and it looks awesome (Black Brushed Aluminum and Digital ReadOuts).  I was in my Accounting Class waiting for class to start when I popped out my Iphone 4S, took out my Fiio E17 and Jacked in my Bose AEO2s (which sound great considering how I hate BOSE Products).  One student saw my unit, asked to hear what it sounded like and before I knew it, I had twenty Twenty-Somethings enthralled by my TOY!!!  Its an old technology NOW but for the money, the FIIO was a BEST BUY back in 2012!!!

Thanks for the update as to FIIO's refusal to provide MiddleWare/FirmWare updates. From a Marketing & Customer Support standpoint, THAT'S JUST PLAIN S-T-O-O-P-I-D!!!  Even my FITBIT ONE has a middleware update!!!  If its electronic and it has a computer in it, it needs FIRMWARE UPDATES just to deal with the security breeches!!!

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #6,717 of 6,777
WannaBes? I beg to differ. Although I enjoy a good Claret, I wouldn't necessarily want to swig a glass of 1929 Chateau LaFette Rothchild with my Hostess TWINKIE!!!  There is a TIME & PLACE for everything including 'Quick & Dirty'. My GO TO Headphones are my STAX Lambdas but, even if I could convert them from balanced outputs to unbalanced 3.5mm miniplugs, would I want to do that to rock out on my Compaq 6910p Business Computer as I sip my Yrgerchef Etheopean Espresso at Temple roasters?  Hell No. When I am in ROAD WARRIOR MODE, my Bose AEO2s jacked into my Fiio E17 are fine for the HOTEL ROOM. When I am at home, nothing but my Little Lambies will do.  ITs called O-V-E-R-K-I-L-L and 'nothing exceeds like excess' is so 'Greed is Good 80's!!!  Although I OWN an Audi TT, my everyday Commuter car (SAC to SF & back) is a 1999 Madza Miata (with ALL THE TOYS---Mish Radiator, Bremo Rotors, Tyres, Suspension upgrades, etc. 31miles a gallon() which will SMOKE a Porsche 911 on HIWY 101's S-Turns (1700lbs @ 165hp!!!)---I know, because I DID IT!!! Someone swaps paint with my Commuter Car and I won't cry; do that with an Audi R8 and you'll wake up the Chinese Premier!!! Remember:  Pretentious Advice is worse than NO ADVICE AT ALL!!! 

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #6,719 of 6,777
My understanding is that FIIO has abandoned the E17 Alpen platform and are performing no authorized middleware (firmware) updates.  That means you are stuck at 96hz 24bit resolution & playback  Most applications will only do up to 48hrz 16bit which is REDBOOK quality only. Besides, I understand the Wolfson DAC can't handle 128hrz 24 bit resolution---you essentually are buying the FIIO E17 as a 3.5mm HEADPHONE mini amp for your computer/SmartPhone.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #6,720 of 6,777
The FIIO E-17 was a stellar outboard DAC-Headphone amp when it was first introduced (2010?!!!). It looked drop dead georgeous and was a fantastic upgrade for the 1878 telephone (TRS) 3.5mm HeadPhone jack mated either to a COMPUTER else a smart phone. Me? If you can find one used else at a steep discount (mine in 2012 was only $129.00) then jump on it.  It is FOOLISH to drop any money on an EXPENSIVE out board DAC/HeadPhone amp when everything is migrating to INTEL LIGHTENING CONNECTIONS which promise 20 megabit data throughputs. Apple was right to dump the 3.5mm jack---I just am livid that they dropped the technology on us WITHOUT ANY WARNING!!!  Virtually NOBODY supports Lightening connectors on the market---they are almost all 2.0 USB and the occasional 3.0 USB such as my Western Digital portable HD (Passport).  BOTTOM LINE: Never upgrade Operating Systems.  I upgraded my COMPAQ 6910P 'luggable' notebook (2007 technology) from WIN 7 Pro to WIN10 Pro and it wouldn't work properly.  Then I found out WHY.  I had the T7500 CPU 2.2Ghz Duo Core that had a seperate video chip ATI RADEON (I forgot the number) that wasn't upgraded to support WIN10.  That is why everything crashed on it and why ITSB spanked my little hands with their digital rulers!!!

BOTTOM LINE: If you have a FIIO E17 Alpen---run it STOCK for your NOTEBOOK with a pair of cheap (sub $200.00 cans such as the Grado SR80s, Klipsch & Bose AEO2s). You WILL HEAR A TREMENDOUS increase of quality over just jacking into your iPhone alone or your Notebook/Laptop---however, it is dated technology and not the best. Don't by 1878 telephone technology (TiP & Ring Sleeve) 3.5mm Unbalanced phones or audio equipment---hold out for Intel Lightening technology.

FYI, if you are buying a FANCY 'MUSIC SERVER' always buy one with a DIGITAL LINE OUT and not with the DAC integrated into the MO'Board. DACs are like WOMEN'S FASHIONS---they have a FOUR MONTH shelf life until they are HOPELESSLY obsolete. Hey, I L-O-V-E OPPO and have a Universal OPPO DVD player.  I w-o-n-t drop $3K on OPPO's state of the Art BLUE RAY Player because BLU RAYS are an obsolete CONTENT delivery System that will disappear in the next 3-5 years.  Then you can migrate it to your own, personal TECH musium with your IPODS, your old IPHONES, Your LPS/45s/EPs, your Reel to Reel, Cassette Tapes, 8 Tracks & DAT Tape machines, Your OVER THE AIR Broadcast FM Tuners and your Edison Cylinder players!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back