FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #6,602 of 6,777
I once tried to attach my E17 to a Redmi 1S via USB OTG.  Sound was bad from the E17, like listening to an empty can.  It was too bad coz I thought via USB OTG, the sound would bypass the phone's DAC/AMP and using the E17 instead making the sound better.  Whats wrong here?  Are there other android phones that make the E17 sound better via USB OTG?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6,603 of 6,777
Has anyone used an E17 with an audio mixer? I use a small mixing board (Berhinger 602a) to create some sidetone from my microphone to my headphones while gaming. I bought the E17 to use as a desktop dac/poratable amp.

My idea is to go PC>E17>602a>598/650

Or do I need an E7 to create a line out for the board? So it might be PC>E17+E7>602a>598/650.

I'm just worried about sending an amped signal to the board. I know I could put the E17 after the board in the signal chain, but then I lose the benefit of using it as a DAC which is half the reason I bought it.

The E17 hasn't arrived yet, and I have been googling like crazy trying to figure this out but have been coming up empty.

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #6,604 of 6,777
Quick question: I am currently connected via SPDIF Optical to my desktop PC. Generally is there a difference between using this type of connection compared to the coaxial connector? And both of these are definitely better than the USB right?

I have to admit, I am asking because when I first was using this with USB (2-3 days) then received my amazon SPDIF optical..I don't hear much of a difference.

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #6,605 of 6,777
  Quick question: I am currently connected via SPDIF Optical to my desktop PC. Generally is there a difference between using this type of connection compared to the coaxial connector? And both of these are definitely better than the USB right?

I have to admit, I am asking because when I first was using this with USB (2-3 days) then received my amazon SPDIF optical..I don't hear much of a difference.

Thanks!

It all depends on the implementation. As far as I know if all implemented correctly, there should be no sound difference between them.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #6,606 of 6,777
I have built myself strong gaming PC with lots of fans and power consumption.
I used to connect it to my E17 both ways and I could hear no difference. A few months ago I have bought the Sennheiser HD800 and to properly feed them I have also bought an M-Stage headphone amplifier. Since then I only use the optical connection which is dead silent at max volume (of M-Stage). With the coaxial I hear all the PC noises like fans, even mouse movement makes a faint static noise. Of corse, only on max volume which is way to strong (no sound playing of corse) and would instantly blow the headset and my ears (and brains out).
Chasing "perfection", I don't use the coax from my computer with E17 anymore.
On my Yamaha amplituner the coax from PC plays a little louder than the optical actually, with no interferences. But with more sensitive tools I think the metal connection also brings electrostatics from noisy sources like a power hungry PC. Might not be the case with other sources though, or if you don't test insane volume levels.
PC --- E17 as DAC only, no amp -- LINE OUT with the little adapter --- AMP(M-Stage) --- Headphones.
The noise is obvious at 70 to 100 % volume, and for comfortable listening I cannot go more than 40% volume.
Before this setup I used to read a lot of which connection might be better, with no satisfying answer in the end, some say one way, some the other. I am not saying myself one is better than the other because I don't really know.
I thought coax might be better because I've read somewhere it is the most direct link, optical connection uses some kind of processing of the signal or smth, but in my setup the difference is clear and I have to use the optical.
Maybe more experienced friends here might give us some explanation of those facts as I have absolutely no electronics background, though I love them like crazy and cannot live without them :)
I know the PC might be the worst source we can use for HiFi music, but it's so practical.
With other setups I can hear absolutely no differences in SQ regarding coax vs optical, neither with IEM nore with big cans.
Play with your setup and see what works best for you.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #6,607 of 6,777
Yes, they are both better than USB, which also brings noise in my setup, but first of all, USB on E17 cannot play 96 or 192 kHz tracks as I remember from the manual. I think it down samples all to 48khz if I remember well, which is not bad at all, we cannot tell the difference, but why settle for less when you have more, up to 192 on both coax and optical.
I get static noise (very faint but existing) from USB even if I only use it to charge the battery while playing from other input.
I repeat, all this noise I am talking about is only noticed with the M-Stage on max volume, way beyond normal use.
I have the E17 for maybe 3 years now, I tried everything that crossed my mind with it and I am very pleased. I wanted to buy the docking station for it, E09 I think it's called, but unfortunately the Sennheiser required even more power so I had to pass, though they would play and look so nice together.
You know what I love most with it?! That simple EQ that is amazing to me, it feels like it adds power to the frequency, unlike others that seems to take a little from the rest of the freq range to give a feeling that the one you want is emphasized. :)

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #6,608 of 6,777
Yes, they are both better than USB, which also brings noise in my setup, but first of all, USB on E17 cannot play 96 or 192 kHz tracks as I remember from the manual. I think it down samples all to 48khz if I remember well, which is not bad at all, we cannot tell the difference, but why settle for less when you have more, up to 192 on both coax and optical.

I get static noise (very faint but existing) from USB even if I only use it to charge the battery while playing from other input.

I repeat, all this noise I am talking about is only noticed with the M-Stage on max volume, way beyond normal use.

I have the E17 for maybe 3 years now, I tried everything that crossed my mind with it and I am very pleased. I wanted to buy the docking station for it, E09 I think it's called, but unfortunately the Sennheiser required even more power so I had to pass, though they would play and look so nice together.

You know what I love most with it?! That simple EQ that is amazing to me, it feels like it adds power to the frequency, unlike others that seems to take a little from the rest of the freq range to give a feeling that the one you want is emphasized.
smily_headphones1.gif

the new E17k can if FiiO ever starts a new thread promoting there new stuff. Come on someone start something for this new endeavor.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #6,611 of 6,777
E10K Olympus or E17? I deciding between this two dac/amp, I need some good quality dac/amp for my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. Which would be better for that? Is the E17 worth the double price of E10K or it is would be enaugh for that?

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #6,612 of 6,777
  E10K Olympus or E17? I deciding between this two dac/amp, I need some good quality dac/amp for my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. Which would be better for that? Is the E17 worth the double price of E10K or it is would be enaugh for that?

I had the same dilemma, but since I also needed a portable AMP for my phone, then a used E17 for $100 is my way to go :)

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #6,613 of 6,777

Thanks!

I think USB is the best as the E17 becomes the sound card, where hooking up via optical or coax means something inside the pc is the sound card. In general, the e17 will do a higher sampling rate than most PC sound cards. But it is possible that the difference would be essentially non-existent.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #6,614 of 6,777
The M50 sounds grand with the E17.Wow! Love the pairing. It's like the E17 brings out the best in the M50. Love it

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #6,615 of 6,777
Is there a consensus on the quality of the bass/treble controls on the E17?

Also, does anybody intentionally double-amp?  I've posted in this thread before, but I've been using the E17 as a sort of DAC, but I'm using its amp because it has convenient adjustments for L/R balanc (basically, I get congested a lot and constantly have to fiddle with L/R balance or I go nuts).  When hooking up the E17 to another amp, does anyone have any recommendations on volume level and gain level?  Right now I'm using max volume and 0 dB gain.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back