FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 1, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #6,481 of 6,777
What set-up should I get so that I could use this with my iTouch 5th Gen?

I've read about the Apple CCK, then there's 3rd party adapters such as 30pin-to-Lightning and microUSB-to-Lightning available.

Will they do?

I'm not ready yet to jump on to more expensive portable amp/dacs such as AK10, Centrance etc. etc.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #6,482 of 6,777
FiiO gear does not have the Apple ID chips to act as a replacement DAC for iDevices. Your best bet is headphone out to the E17 or purchase an approved DAC, but as you found out those are quite expensive.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #6,483 of 6,777
I have an iPhone 5S IOS 7.1.1 working fine with the E17 and the Apple CCK.  I need a passive hub between the CCK and the E17 but it works.
Almost all iPhone apps will only output 48kHz / 16bit though.  If I use AmpliFlac or Jriver to stream  96kHz/24bit FLAC it plays fine but with a low-level clicking noise. 

The headphone out does indeed work well and is a lot less mess than adding in CCK and passive hub with assorted cables.

Hopefully Apple will make a 96kHz /24bit patch with IOS 7.1.2 or IOS 8 to fix the clicking. Because non-certified devices are not meant to work, they may have intentionally made it that way or may go even further to stop non-certified devices working at all.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #6,484 of 6,777
Good to hear its working with iDevices, it never used to in the past.
:beerchug:

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #6,485 of 6,777
Good to hear its working with iDevices, it never used to in the past.
beerchug.gif

Here's some pics of my current setup.

This was the best I could come up with after experimenting with several USB hubs and cables.
I have a 20cm curly cord USB to Mini-USB cable on the way to replace the 40cm one in the pics below.

I found this setup is the most user friendly as I can put the FiiO E17 in my pocket and still handle the iPhone.
Also good for when just lounging around the house as I don't have to fumble to pick up 2 devices and dont have to worry about all the cables, hubs etc dangling.

4 Port USB Hub, USB to mini USB and CCK all glued to the back of a Cygnett iPhone 5S case.

Plugged in...

Faith Hill Cry - DVD-A Rip to 96/24 Flac ready to go in Ampliflac.

Plugged in ready to go... Backside...

Front side..

Close up showing 96kHz / 24 Bit output on AmpliFlac and 96kHz/24bit input on the FiiO E17.

Fleetwood Mac Rumours - Dreams DVD-A rip to 96/24 Flac output from JRiver MC19 streaming to JRemote.

As I mentioned earlier this all works great except for the clicking with 96/24 material.
Until Apple or FiiO release a patch/update to fix the clicking I just down-sample in AmpliFlac or with JRiver MC19 down to 48/16.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #6,486 of 6,777
Fiio E17 Alpen works with Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 SM-T325 (LTE) Stock ROM. It will probably work for SM-T320 (Wifi Only) as well. It doesn't notify you that a USB DAC is connected but audio is automatically routed over USB OTG to it and works for all applications.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #6,487 of 6,777

Sure, you can connect to the optical output in your xbox 360

Hi, sorry for bumping up this old ass post, but can I ask you a very simple (and dumb) question?

I have the 360 slim model, and I just bought a TOSLINK cable. But now I don't know what to do with it because the inputs don't fit in the 360. My E17 has an adapter tip which I think can be used to plug the TOSLINK cable into the S/PDIF IN opening on the E17 (I think). Do I need to get an adapter for the Xbox 360 Output as well? 

(http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402346201&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+basics+toslink)

If anyone can help me answer this, I would appreciate it very much! !!:)

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #6,488 of 6,777

Sure, you can connect to the optical output in your xbox 360

Hi, sorry for bumping up this old ass post, but can I ask you a very simple (and dumb) question?

I have the 360 slim model, and I just bought a TOSLINK cable. But now I don't know what to do with it because the inputs don't fit in the 360. My E17 has an adapter tip which I think can be used to plug the TOSLINK cable into the S/PDIF IN opening on the E17 (I think). Do I need to get an adapter for the Xbox 360 Output as well? 

(http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402346201&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+basics+toslink)

If anyone can help me answer this, I would appreciate it very much! !!:)

The optical cable you linked appears to be correct for plugging into the XBox 360. The connector is keyed so it only plugs in when the bevels on the connector line up with the bevels in the socket on the XBox 360. As you indicated, you do need to use the Fiio supplied adapter to plug the optical cable into the E17. Give it a try again and just take special notice of the orientation of the connector when trying to attach it to the XBox. Good luck!

Dale

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #6,489 of 6,777

The optical cable you linked appears to be correct for plugging into the XBox 360. The connector is keyed so it only plugs in when the bevels on the connector line up with the bevels in the socket on the XBox 360. As you indicated, you do need to use the Fiio supplied adapter to plug the optical cable into the E17. Give it a try again and just take special notice of the orientation of the connector when trying to attach it to the XBox. Good luck!

Dale

Awesome, thanks! You are right, it needs to line up. I didn't realize that at all n naturally just thought I goofed :p. Thanks for letting me know! Can't wait to game with sexy video AND audio

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #6,490 of 6,777
So I've read the specs of Fiio X3 and E17 and found these:

Fiio X3:
 F, DAC, one WM8740, not so perfect, but still very good to an DAP which designed for audiophile, we notice that SONY, iRiver also used WM8740 in their new portable DAC/AMP and DAP.

Fiio E17
  Sonic Impression
To make it short and sweet, I'll say E17 shares a large portion of its sound with E10, both on headphone-out as well as line-out. It is largely neutral but slightly on the warm side. It shouldn't be too surprising as the USB receiver (Tenor TE7022) and DAC chip (WM8740) are the same between the two.

Fiio X3:
 H, AMP section change from TPA6130A to AD8397 which used in our ALPEN ( E17 ), I think most of our fans already know how good it will be in sound quality.

Now for the noobish question,

With the two sharing the same important specs, does this mean that the X3 is an E17 that you can use on its own? Or does it have different sound?

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #6,492 of 6,777
The E17 has an Optical IN, so it should take the Optical OUT signal from your diskman.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #6,493 of 6,777
i'd like to ask, if i buy a fiio e17.. can i use it as a DAC only for example if in the future i want to use another amp...?

say if in the future i buy schiit magni, can i connect it to fiio e17 and use it as a dac only...?

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #6,494 of 6,777
  i'd like to ask, if i buy a fiio e17.. can i use it as a DAC only for example if in the future i want to use another amp...?

say if in the future i buy schiit magni, can i connect it to fiio e17 and use it as a dac only...?

Yes you can, but you would need the L7 Line Out dock to connect it to another amplifier properly.
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Line-Out-Dock-Cable/dp/B004QVNS0S

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #6,495 of 6,777
Hey guys, just got this running from my laptop to my IEMs and m50's wondering what settings you guys are using on this. Also what gain should i use low med or high? Better to use low gain with high volume or higher gain wiht low volume?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back