FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #6,316 of 6,777
Well,

My E17 doesn't work with my laptops USB. I'll have to try a powered USB hub. For now I just run it through the speaker jack to aux in.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #6,317 of 6,777
  Well,

My E17 doesn't work with my laptops USB. I'll have to try a powered USB hub. For now I just run it through the speaker jack to aux in.

isn't that pointless then? you're not actually using the DAc on the e17 and only using the amp on it. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #6,321 of 6,777
  Laptop is a 2009 from Pro-Star, built on the Clevo D900F. I'd be surprised if it had USB 2.0

Does the E17 work as a DAC on a different Laptop or Computer?
Also have you tried a different USB Cable? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #6,322 of 6,777
Hi,

I recently purchased an E17 and I wish to avoid stressing the headphone jack; can anyone recommend a small extension can be left always connected to the E17 and on which link the various headphones? the connection will always be E17 <-> extension <-> headphone, I do not seek a multiplier. Thank's in advance

thank's in advance

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #6,323 of 6,777
Hi,

I recently purchased an E17 and I wish to avoid stressing the headphone jack; can anyone recommend a small extension can be left always connected to the E17 and on which link the various headphones? the connection will always be E17 <-> extension <-> headphone, I do not seek a multiplier. Thank's in advance

thank's in advance
Most people DIY with a few connectors and some wire lunashops.com has all your connectors and you can repurpose wire from another extension etc...

Or something like this might work, I have no experience with this cable as to the quality although it looks good.

www.radtech.us/products/procable-shortz-audio-extender

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #6,324 of 6,777
Most people DIY with a few connectors and some wire lunashops.com has all your connectors and you can repurpose wire from another extension etc...

Or something like this might work, I have no experience with this cable as to the quality although it looks good.

many thank's mr TrollDragon!

now find the best solution for me, based on your advice

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #6,325 of 6,777

many thank's  mr TrollDragon

now find the best solution for me, based on your advice

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #6,326 of 6,777
Dear All,

I'd like to share my idea concerning the Fiio E17 with you. It was inspired by this post some time ago ... and it took some time for me to understand the background of the matter, but this forum was very helpful ... thanks a lot to all of you
beerchug.gif
. I was a newby to such issues, but reading through this forum was (and is) educational, illuminative, interesting ... I think I'm able to find a lot more adjectives, but now let's cut to the chase
wink.gif

Especially at @IKE60, the initiator: my appreciations and acknowledgement for having such an idea!
beerchug.gif

I'm German, and I was astonished as I read the denomination "kludge". I have never seen this word so far, but my dictionary told me that this word means something like "Flickschusterei" in German .. we can translate this back into English as "something that was knocked together" ... I don't really think that it is a kludge ... this idea offers a lot of possibilties.

IKE60 used an Ipad - I adapted this for a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1 (this version of the Android operating system is necessary, because henceforth, Android outputs the digital sound via USB).

Unfortunately, I'm not able to insert a picture of my gearshift assembly
frown.gif
. I'm relatively new to this forum, this is my second post - so I really hope you'll be patient with me. So I have to describe my procedure with words, maybe I can add the picture later if you like. But there is only one component more, so I think you can guess what I mean.

I used a 4-port USB hub too, but additionally, I connected a Terratec Aureon Dual USB soundcard to the hub. The advantage of this card: it has optical output! I bought an optical cable and connected it directly to the optical input of the Fiio E17 ...

I ripped my favourite music to FLAC files (loseless!) and transferred them to the SG3 ... and since this moment, I really enjoy the impressive sound of the "kludge". All the components are lightweight - I put them all together, installed them in a laptop bag ... and are able to use the "kludge" outdoors ... This is great
beyersmile.png
or, as we can say in French, "vraiment inimitable"
wink_face.gif

I think if we root the SG3 and copy additional music files to an additional USB stick, add it to the hub and perform an Android media scan, those files should appear in the media library - by the way, my favourite app is powamp.

We can think of a better sound card ... one which is able to manage 24 bit / 96 kHz ... because the Fiio E17 is able to handle this resolution via optical input ... I'm not sure if Android is capable of outputting 24 bit / 192 kHz ...

Have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Smart Dock Multimedia Hub. Using this device, we should be able to direct the stream directly into our amplifier at home.

If you have further ideas, improvements, own experiences or annotations to my post, please let me know.

Kind regards, Frank

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #6,327 of 6,777
  Well,

I had this same problem until I realized I had used the USB cable from my old E11 (just because it was lying around anyways and the new cable was in a twist tie and seemed too long). I switched to the cable that came with the E17 and problem solved!

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #6,328 of 6,777
The E11 cable was a charge only cable it had no data lines. The E12 cable is the same but FiiO has labeled it now as a charge only.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #6,329 of 6,777
waste of money as i am a bass head and always use the bass and treble functions which the e09k doesnt have plus it's too big for portable use.

I assumed with the E09K, u were suppose to activate the LO pass mechanism on the E17, so that the E17 becomes the DAC and the E09K becomes the amp... It should retain the E17 EQ settigs. I don't remember (I set and forget :). ), but I have no noticeable difference in sound with standalone E17 vs E09K combo.

Btw, cudo's to this thread. Love Fiio's products and the community here.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #6,330 of 6,777
Older
Laptop is a 2009 from Pro-Star, built on the Clevo D900F. I'd be surprised if it had USB 2.0

Not all laptops are made the same. Especially older windows laptops (mac's are thankfully standardized). USB plug for your laptop should work with E17. Windows/laptops have a safety function built into USB ports, if said plugged in device draws too much power, the OS automatically disconnects it in the background. Eg: plug in something that manually draws more than 5V in a Mac, the OS (mavericks) will tell you it disconnected said device because it used too much power. Previous Mac OS's use to just disconnect but not tell users (frustrating for users), so they added that in for mavericks. windows only recently caught up with windows 8, so older versions will just disconnect. However, all windows laptops have at least 1 full powered USB. So try one of the ports if all else fails. If not, then set USB charging to off and it should work with ur USB.

If it's not a power issue, then check sound output and software sound output (eg: OS has dedicated sound output controls, but VLC can override that and default output to something else, annoys me when I unplug my E17 and forget about VLC's settings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back