FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Dec 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #6,301 of 6,777
Thanks for the reply.  I'm not so worried about volume as I am having a good frequency response across the whole range.  My guess is that amps not designed for driving lower-impedance headphones will roll off on the bassy end.  The headphones in this case are Sennheiser HD580 Pro's, though I'm curious about how low a 'phones impedance can go and still be driven well by the E17 in general.

I don't think you would have any problem honestly. That's something that depends more on how difficult are the headphones to be driven. The E17 drives perfectly all the AKG K7xx and Q701 series and they are known to be pretty difficult to drive. Same range of impedances. You are good to go man.

EDIT: if you are specifically concerned about the bass, you might wanna check the E18 as well, that IMHO behaves better than the E17 in the lower frequency end.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #6,305 of 6,777
  my e17's usb slot broke and I was wondering if i could use the l7 to i guess replace it so i can use it with my computer again?

Yes, just a few caveats - the L7 puts the E17 into dock mode, which disables AUX input (obviously as it's covered) and sets the gain to 6 (it can be changed, but must be set each time the L7 is inserted)

But basically yes

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #6,308 of 6,777
Just picked up an E17 from what appears to be an authorized Canadian retailer (Canada Computers) on sale for $99.99 and the case and RCA->3.5mm adapter seems to be different from all of the pictures I see online and from all the unboxing videos. The case is a neoprene material with a velcro closure instead of the velour with a clasp. I checked the authenticity number on the Fiio website and it says the product is genuine. I'm curious if anyone else seen this version of the case and the adapter? I'm worried about whether or not the product is genuine. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #6,309 of 6,777
Just picked up an E17 from what appears to be an authorized Canadian retailer (Canada Computers) on sale for $99.99 and the case and RCA->3.5mm adapter seems to be different from all of the pictures I see online and from all the unboxing videos. The case is a neoprene material with a velcro closure instead of the velour with a clasp. I checked the authenticity number on the Fiio website and it says the product is genuine. I'm curious if anyone else seen this version of the case and the adapter? I'm worried about whether or not the product is genuine. 

They look like what is being included with the E18. Maybe they have updated the packaging. Was the package sealed?

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #6,311 of 6,777

I received mine for Xmas and those are what came with it. I didn't realize there was another version of the case.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #6,312 of 6,777
Yes, it was sealed. I'm kinda disappointed... the case looks a lot cheaper than what used to be included. Great portable amp though. 

The old case might look better, but it was kind of annoying in my opinion. I had the feeling the hard button was going to scratch the amp. I prefer the new one better and it stays cleaner much better.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6,313 of 6,777
Quote:

Yes, it was sealed. I'm kinda disappointed... the case looks a lot cheaper than what used to be included. Great portable amp though. 

Well my case is sitting there gathering dust; literally.
If the new carry bag/case is more of a neoprene material then it should be less of a dust trap/magnet.
Probably is a good thing.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #6,315 of 6,777
  waste of money as i am a bass head and always use the bass and treble functions which the e09k doesnt have plus it's too big for portable use.

99% certain the USB is a passthrough to the E17 when it's docked on the E09K

Just keep the lo-bypass switch in the factory position and the volume <45 ish and you can still use the bass/treble controls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back