FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #6,256 of 6,777
  i just notice that if i pick 16 bit and 44.1 khz, 16 bit and 48 khz, 24 bit and 44.1 khz, and 24 bit and 48 khz my fiio E17 would says 48 k and 16 bit.

For 16 bit and 96 khz, it would say 96 khz and 24 bit.

Is my e17 broken or is it just a display bug? 

Known display bug, it's only able to display a handful of values and just picks the nearest. No resampling is occurring

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #6,257 of 6,777
Can I use this E17 with my E9 amp or do I need the E09k?

I kind of ordered this without researching because I got it for a good price, but I was hoping someone can give me a run down on how this would work with my E9 amp? Like how would I connect it and do I need to install any drivers or anything? And I will be mostly keeping it stationary on my desktop so would I need to disable charging to preserve the battery life?

Would appreciate any help, thanks!

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #6,258 of 6,777
  Can I use this E17 with my E9 amp or do I need the E09k?

I kind of ordered this without researching because I got it for a good price, but I was hoping someone can give me a run down on how this would work with my E9 amp? Like how would I connect it and do I need to install any drivers or anything? And I will be mostly keeping it stationary on my desktop so would I need to disable charging to preserve the battery life?

Would appreciate any help, thanks!

That's the exact set up I have. You just plug the E17 into the E9, connect the USB cable and turn on the proper settings on your PC. It's pretty easy and it works great.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #6,259 of 6,777
  That's the exact set up I have. You just plug the E17 into the E9, connect the USB cable and turn on the proper settings on your PC. It's pretty easy and it works great.

That sounds awesome. So what about my current sound card? I have a X-Fi Titanium HD but if this E17 can replace it then I will just sell it.

Right now I have RCA Cables going from my sound card to the E9. When I get the E17, I should just plug it into the E9, and then have the E17's USB cable going to my PC and that's it? Nothing connected to my onboard sound card right?

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #6,260 of 6,777
That sounds awesome. So what about my current sound card? I have a X-Fi Titanium HD but if this E17 can replace it then I will just sell it.

Right now I have RCA Cables going from my sound card to the E9. When I get the E17, I should just plug it into the E9, and then have the E17's USB cable going to my PC and that's it? Nothing connected to my onboard sound card right?

Correct. The E17 bypasses your sound card and uses its own internal DAC. The USB cable actually connects to the back of your E9 and interfaces with your E17 through the E9's connector on top.

You can use the volume control, gain settings, channel balance and eq on the E17 while also using the E9 to control the master volume. I have my PC volume set to full.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #6,261 of 6,777
Correct. The E17 bypasses your sound card and uses its own internal DAC. The USB cable actually connects to the back of your E9 and interfaces with your E17 through the E9's connector on top.

You can use the volume control, gain settings, channel balance and eq on the E17 while also using the E9 to control the master volume. I have my PC volume set to full.

Thanks that's good to know. So just to clarify, I'm only connecting a USB cable to my computer -- nothing else? And what about drivers, is it plug and play or do I need to install some drivers before it starts working?

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #6,262 of 6,777
  Thanks that's good to know. So just to clarify, I'm only connecting a USB cable to my computer -- nothing else? And what about drivers, is it plug and play or do I need to install some drivers before it starts working?

It should be plug and play. There is an E17 driver that comes with it for ASIO playback, and there's also WASAPI drivers you can install (both of these drivers are for outputting an uncompressed bitstream to your DAC) but I really don't notice any difference playing music without them, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe if I had higher resolution headphones and gear, but with the mid-fi stuff I have, an uncompressed bitstream doesn't make much of a difference.

The set up is as follows:
E17>E9>USB>PC

That's it.

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #6,263 of 6,777
  It should be plug and play. There is an E17 driver that comes with it for ASIO playback, and there's also WASAPI drivers you can install (both of these drivers are for outputting an uncompressed bitstream to your DAC) but I really don't notice any difference playing music without them, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe if I had higher resolution headphones and gear, but with the mid-fi stuff I have, an uncompressed bitstream doesn't make much of a difference.

The set up is as follows:
E17>E9>USB>PC

That's it.

Thanks for answering all my questions and repped. Can't wait to try it!

Does anyone know if this would be plug and play for Mac or Linux as well, or is there a driver provided for it? That's one of the main reasons for getting this, so I will have a high quality DAC that would work across multiple OSs.

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #6,264 of 6,777
The E17 is a USB Audio 1 device which is supported with no drivers needed on any newer operating system.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #6,265 of 6,777
Hello! Help me please. Interested work time Fiio E17 from battery. Charge time ~4hrs 15min, while working 10-13 hours. Something else excites me. After charging, the red LED does not switch off and it shines dim. Is this normal? Sorry for my English.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #6,266 of 6,777
  Hello! Help me please. Interested work time Fiio E17 from battery. Charge time ~4hrs 15min, while working 10-13 hours. Something else excites me. After charging, the red LED does not switch off and it shines dim. Is this normal? Sorry for my English.

yes. u need to turn off usb charging manually. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #6,267 of 6,777
  Thanks for answering all my questions and repped. Can't wait to try it!

Does anyone know if this would be plug and play for Mac or Linux as well, or is there a driver provided for it? That's one of the main reasons for getting this, so I will have a high quality DAC that would work across multiple OSs.

to me, using the E17 driver from the vendor does give me better sound quality in 64-bit Win7.
I am using Little Dot MK IV w/ Shure940

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #6,270 of 6,777

Users who are viewing this thread

Back