FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #5,986 of 6,777
I do have a question.

Normally in youtube videos I can see that in "System Set" menu entry you have an "Run Time" option available.

In my E17 this "Run Time" option is missing.

Does anybody know more about it ? Is because in new firmware versions the option is hidden ?

Thanks !

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #5,987 of 6,777
Quote:
I do have a question.

Normally in youtube videos I can see that in "System Set" menu entry you have an "Run Time" option available.

Does anybody know more about it ? Is because in new firmware versions the option is hidden ?

Thanks !

I don't have the Run Time option on mine, either. I bought mine in April of this year.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #5,988 of 6,777
Quote:
Last I checked it was. 88.2 and its sibling 44.1 aren't shown on the Alpen but rather 48 and 96 are the ones shown.

To be fair this is an issue with the standard USB audio driver in Windows, which many of these lower-cost DACs use as it's already provided by Microsoft. If you are using USB you can't use WASAPI exclusive mode and get 88.2khz. Using the other modes (e.g. DirectSound or WASAPI shared) you will get resampled audio per your settings for shared mode audio - 32khz, 44.1khz, 48khz or 96khz.

The only way to get 88.2khz would have been if FIIO included a custom driver and not relied on the built-in Windows driver. Hard to fault them given the incredible value of these units, but a fair caveat to point out.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #5,989 of 6,777
The option is not in the newest firmware. so the newer E17's won't have the feature. I got mine last October and mine does not have the option either. So it's been a while since they had the option.
Quote:
I do have a question.

Thanks !

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #5,991 of 6,777
Quote:
The E17/E09 is an affordable "entry" setup into desktop DAC audio but I found that after just one week with this combo it left me wanting for more so I returned my FiiO gear to the store yesterday for a refund.

That's what I worried that I would do! What did you end up getting that was enough of a step up then?

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #5,992 of 6,777
Quote:

That's what I worried that I would do! What did you end up getting that was enough of a step up then?

Well, I did more than just a step up so to speak. I picked up the Asus Essence One Muses edition second hand for a really good price. This DAC is simply amazing and can easily match Boutique DAC's in SQ that are twice the price.

My HD650's are finally able to show their true abilities and I'm now a happy camper!

Cheers!

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #5,993 of 6,777
What combination are you using most ?

USB 24/96 or optical toslink 24/192 assuming that 24/192 is way better in quality(theoretically and if the source is right) and on the other hand is using the sound board driver, taking also into account that on 24/96 the soundboard processing is skipped. (think which does not happen in 24/192 case) 

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #5,995 of 6,777
I thought I would throw my 2c in. I'm running Denon AH-D600 headphones which don't need a lot of power to drive them. I was using the Schiit Magni/Modi stack from my computer but wanted a portable setup so purchased the e17. In a side by side comparison against the e17 I found most measurements of the Schiit were better.  Schiit bass went deeper and was smooth, treble held the highs very clean, it had a wider sound stage, and a lot better instrument separation.  But I found without any adjustment for gain on my easy to drive headphones the volume became hard to find that sweet spot for listening. A big issue to my ears on the Schiit vocals were often piercing; I could not listen to Pink's The truth about love album. The e17 has a warmer sound which is nice and leaves the Schiit almost clinical. Overall I prefer the e17 as it just puts all the music together better and is a more enjoyable experience.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #5,996 of 6,777
Quote:
I thought I would throw my 2c in. I'm running Denon AH-D600 headphones which don't need a lot of power to drive them. I was using the Schiit Magni/Modi stack from my computer but wanted a portable setup so purchased the e17. In a side by side comparison against the e17 I found most measurements of the Schiit were better.  Schiit bass went deeper and was smooth, treble held the highs very clean, it had a wider sound stage, and a lot better instrument separation.  But I found without any adjustment for gain on my easy to drive headphones the volume became hard to find that sweet spot for listening. A big issue to my ears on the Schiit vocals were often piercing; I could not listen to Pink's The truth about love album. The e17 has a warmer sound which is nice and leaves the Schiit almost clinical. Overall I prefer the e17 as it just puts all the music together better and is a more enjoyable experience.

Good review. I wish more amps would include a feature or two aside from a volume knob.

For instance ... E17 has 3 gain settings, full bass and treble control, balance, sleep timer, DAC, Optical IN, it's portable (or not), etc. .... 

:)

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #5,997 of 6,777
Quote:

True, with what I have been reading and experienced with the M&M stack, it has a very neutral sound to it.  This would agree with your assessment.

Quote:

Good review. I wish more amps would include a feature or two aside from a volume knob.

For instance ... E17 has 3 gain settings, full bass and treble control, balance, sleep timer, DAC, Optical IN, it's portable (or not), etc. .... 

:)

I agree, and those settings are some of what sold me on getting the E17, and I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to it for my portable setup.

In defense of the M&M stack, those additional settings/options are not there specifically to keep the cost/price down on those units - which is stated in the FAQ on the Schiit website, so it was not an oversight.  If you move up to some of their (or other manuifacturers) higher end units, you gain some or all of those things, but also experience gains in the cost.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #5,998 of 6,777
Is alpen really better than ibasso d zero? By the way i will use it for my shure 425 iem... I kinda like the portability of the d zero... But regarding their sound is it really better than d zero? Thanks for the help

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5,999 of 6,777
Is alpen really better than ibasso d zero? By the way i will use it for my shure 425 iem... I kinda like the portability of the d zero... But regarding their sound is it really better than d zero? Thanks for the help

This doesn't really answer your question, but I do find that the iBasso D12 does have a clearer, purer, less gritty sound than the FiiO E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back