FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jul 6, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #1,441 of 2,388
Lucky me!
I can put my dip8 chips into the e12 diy case without problems.
Just switched from standard config. to muses02 and LME49600 :fearful::fearful::fearful:
What a HUGE difference! Now the DIY is a totally different beast if compared to the standard E12. My Grado SR325iS sounds like they have never played before. I think I will stay for a while with this combo. Simply amazing. I strongly suggest this configuration with this model of headphone. :headphones::notes::headphones::notes:

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,442 of 2,388
Lucky me!
Just switched from standard config. to muses02 and LME49600 :fearful::fearful::fearful:
What a HUGE difference! Now the DIY is a totally different beast if compared to the standard E12. My Grado SR325iS sounds like they have never played before. I think I will stay for a while with this combo. Simply amazing. I strongly suggest this configuration with this model of headphone. :headphones::notes::headphones::notes:

From what I've heard from others about the MUSES02 and from what I know of the LME49600 from experience, the soundstage must seem massive with that combo!

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,443 of 2,388
You're absolutely right!
Great soundstage and incredible detail. Still on the warm Side But with plenty of detail. I am really amazed with this combo with the Grado!!

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,444 of 2,388
I ordered some LME49720s from Digikey yesterday.

I'm kind of curious because I saw that they were available in both DIP8 and SOIC packages. This is the dual channel LME49720.

If this were the case, wouldn't it be better to use a single dual channel LME49720 SOIC on a BrownDog adapter rather than two single channel LME49710s on the side-by-side boards?

I guess you could do it either way, but it seems more elegant with a single chip.

This is, of course, to address the height issue in the E12DIY. If you know your amp can take the full height of a DIP8, that would be the most direct option.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,445 of 2,388
I ordered some LME49720s from Digikey yesterday.

I'm kind of curious because I saw that they were available in both DIP8 and SOIC packages. This is the dual channel LME49720.

If this were the case, wouldn't it be better to use a single dual channel LME49720 SOIC on a BrownDog adapter rather than two single channel LME49710s on the side-by-side boards?

I guess you could do it either way, but it seems more elegant with a single chip.

This is, of course, to address the height issue in the E12DIY. If you know your amp can take the full height of a DIP8, that would be the most direct option.

There is the theory that by placing the two channels further away, you'll get better channel separation. Of course it doesn't always work that way, but sometime it does in some circuits.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,446 of 2,388
Just arrived!
During the past few days I received my Muses 01 and 02 together with opa 627 LME 4920 and Intersil ha5002.
Let the fun begin....

Wow, you're all set! My prediction, that E11 will see very little play time, ultimately. After you dial in your E12DIY, you might even end up giving it to your brother (ask me how I know :D).

Lucky me!

I am delighted by the options we have. I plopped in MUSES02 with BUF634 and initially thought it was way too warm. Now that it's burned in a bit, it's starting to sound really nice.

For a yuk I tossed in the LME49600 and didn't like it at all, personally. For some reason it sounded really bright and strident with the MUSES02 for me.

Funny, because I've heard the LME49600 sound good before (if slightly wirey), so it's great we can tailor the sound to what we like.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,447 of 2,388
Wow, you're all set! My prediction, that E11 will see very little play time, ultimately. After you dial in your E12DIY, you might even end up giving it to your brother (ask me how I know
biggrin.gif
).
)

I am delighted by the options we have. I plopped in MUSES02 with BUF634 and initially thought it was way too warm. Now that it's burned in a bit, it's starting to sound really nice.

For a yuk I tossed in the LME49600 and didn't like it at all, personally. For some reason it sounded really bright and strident with the MUSES02 for me.

Funny, because I've heard the LME49600 sound good before (if slightly wirey), so it's great we can tailor the sound to what we like.

I think it has something to do with headphone pairing.........(it might sound strange because the sr325Is are well known for their "bright sound signature" but for some strange reason I can't find a single bit of harshness with tis combo) what it is really amazing is the quantity of musical information together with a fantastic instrument separation and extremely detailed and wide soundstage. 
I am at the very first beginning of testing with opas and buffers so my opinions are likely to change after some burn in or as soon as I have some terms of comparisons in my head. Later this afternoon I will do some "tough" test with Audeze LCD2.2 and Sennheiser HD800. Very curious to find out how this small amp will perform. Until now I am really impressed!
The E11 is ready to be paired with my daugter's Iphone and the standard E12 is a gift for my brother's birthday 
wink_face.gif
. The E09 will go with an Henry Audio USB DAC playing hi res files from my Imac.....

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,448 of 2,388
ClieOS (or other similarly technically skilled people), could you help me with 2 questions regarding buffer selection:

• Compared to the BUF634 and (to a lesser degree) the HA9P5002, the LME49600 seems to stretch the soundstage right out to the sides and at times even seems to create an image that is either left, right or centre with less in-between sounds. Is there something in the spec sheets that can predict this type of presentation difference or is it one of those unmeasurable factors?
  • Reading up on the HA9P5002 I have read that there can be risk of damage to the chips in the event of having no load applied or connecting / disconnecting the load during playback of any significant volume. This is apparently due to no current limiting being built into the 5002's design. Is this a concern when used with the E12DIY or does the amp design prevent this from being an issue?

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,449 of 2,388
  ClieOS (or other similarly technically skilled people), could you help me with 2 questions regarding buffer selection:

• Compared to the BUF634 and (to a lesser degree) the HA9P5002, the LME49600 seems to stretch the soundstage right out to the sides and at times even seems to create an image that is either left, right or centre with less in-between sounds. Is there something in the spec sheets that can predict this type of presentation difference or is it one of those unmeasurable factors?
  • Reading up on the HA9P5002 I have read that there can be risk of damage to the chips in the event of having no load applied or connecting / disconnecting the load during playback of any significant volume. This is apparently due to no current limiting being built into the 5002's design. Is this a concern when used with the E12DIY or does the amp design prevent this from being an issue?

I have to come clear and said that I have very little love on the LME49600. It is technically superior to the BUF634 on just about everything, including coloration, but I find it on the edge of a sharp knife, giving me the impression of graininess. BUF634 can be too smooth at time but it isn't so smooth that I can't accept it, while HA-5002 is neither too smooth or too edgy, just that way I like it. Channel separation is a good indication of image, but I don't think it is the only factor. I find that just a little bit of crosstalk actually help to create better depth.

It is only be danger if you short the pins (like half inserting the headphone plug) for too long a time while having very loud music playing. However, by practicing good habit on using amp, mainly to turn the volume all the way down or turn the amp off when plug / unplug, the risk is minimum.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,451 of 2,388
  I know I'm off topic but I dented my E12DIY Gold case!!! Argh!!! Very fustrated over the dent!

I contacted Fiio about the damage I caused to my case and they were very quick to respond with replacement options. The price is very affordable and easy to arrange if you want a replacement. Mine is a silver one, but I expect this applies for gold too.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #1,453 of 2,388
Ive just gave up trying to decide which one sounds best (Muses01, 02 or 627). They are so good, too bad I don't have 3 amps.. LOL. 
By exclusion, I will close my E12DIY with MUSES01 installed on it. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,454 of 2,388
  Ive just gave up trying to decide which one sounds best (Muses01, 02 or 627). They are so good, too bad I don't have 3 amps.. LOL. 

Interesting...

I have LME49710 and OPA627 in transit to see if either of them can unseat the unlikely champion in my collection - the $3 NJM5532
wink.gif
Perhaps one day I will try the Muses, but not yet...

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,455 of 2,388

Which is the buffer You have currently installed?
My combo is Muses02 with lme49006. With Muses01 I have Less punch and detail together with narrower soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back