FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jul 16, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,472 of 2,388
I received OPA627 and LME49710 chips today for the DIY. Very early impressions are great for both, but I'll spend more time with them tomorrow with my IEMs to get a better sense.

Initial impressions are that LME is more linear in its presentation while 627 is a bit more mid-centric, but 627 might present a bit more detail and texture...

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,473 of 2,388
Chefano do you've any updates regarding the broken part in hour E12DIY?

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,476 of 2,388
@Chefano do you've any updates regarding the broken part in hour E12DIY?

Hey CH13,
Ive been in contact with Fiio Support, they want me to send it back to them. Ive asked if they could send me the broken cap specs or any help to troubleshoot the E12 (like a service manual) or even paying for a new board. Lets wait =) I hope I can fix it by myself or buy 1 new board, because It will take a huge amount of time to send it back for repair and wait until I get it again in Brasil.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #1,477 of 2,388
I tried LME49720 (dual version of LME49710), but only for a few hours. So it may not be fully burned in.

I'm sort of liking it, but not sure yet. It is very open sounding with good bass. And tends to the warmish side, which I like.

So far, a very clean, open sound with good, solid, propulsive bass. It avoids sounding clinical for its slight warmth. Musical, overall.

But it seems slightly threadbare, harmonically. Gives very good basic sound, and has very good drive and dynamics. But doesn't have the harmonic refinement and atmosphere of the OPA627.

It's not thin sounding; notes have good solidity and weight. But it seems like it doesn't portray the fine information/detail that translates into atmosphere and ambiance. Sound is solid, but basic. More so than OPA627, which is much more accomplished in this respect.

The biggest shortfall is a slightly plastic coloration. This is from a blunted leading edge attack at the beginning of notes along with the slightly threadbare harmonics.

Again, though, I only have a few hours on it, so hopefully things will improve with more burn in.

I received OPA627 and LME49710 chips today for the DIY. Very early impressions are great for both, but I'll spend more time with them tomorrow with my IEMs to get a better sense.

Initial impressions are that LME is more linear in its presentation while 627 is a bit more mid-centric, but 627 might present a bit more detail and texture...

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #1,478 of 2,388
I tried LME49720 (dual version of LME49710), but only for a few hours. So it may not be fully burned in.

I'm sort of liking it, but not sure yet. It is very open sounding with good bass. And tends to the warmish side, which I like.

So far, a very clean, open sound with good, solid, propulsive bass. It avoids sounding clinical for its slight warmth. Musical, overall.

But it seems slightly threadbare, harmonically. Gives very good basic sound, and has very good drive and dynamics. But doesn't have the harmonic refinement and atmosphere of the OPA627.

It's not thin sounding; notes have good solidity and weight. But it seems like it doesn't portray the fine information/detail that translates into atmosphere and ambiance. Sound is solid, but basic. More so than OPA627, which is much more accomplished in this respect.

The biggest shortfall is a slightly plastic coloration. This is from a blunted leading edge attack at the beginning of notes along with the slightly threadbare harmonics.

Again, though, I only have a few hours on it, so hopefully things will improve with more burn in.

Thanks for the great description, KT. I'll hopefully have time to do some listening tonight and compare my notes with yours above.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #1,479 of 2,388
Hey CH13,
Ive been in contact with Fiio Support, they want me to send it back to them. Ive asked if they could send me the broken cap specs or any help to troubleshoot the E12 (like a service manual) or even paying for a new board. Lets wait =) I hope I can fix it by myself or buy 1 new board, because It will take a huge amount of time to send it back for repair and wait until I get it again in Brasil.

If it's possible to get a replacement board, that would be great. Considering this device came without warranty (for obvious reasons) getting it replaced may be a pain in the ass, not to say, very expensive.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,480 of 2,388
FIIO support just sent me the cap value. I will have to look if have a similar cap just to make  test. If it works .. great, if not I will send it back to FIIO for service, They don't have a replacement board to send me, but no problem.
I have to tell, FIIO support is really good. They are always trying to help, I really liked. I was thinking about getting a X5 and just decided I will get a X5. Thumbs UP for FIIO! 

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #1,481 of 2,388
  FIIO support just sent me the cap value. I will have to look if have a similar cap just to make  test. If it works .. great, if not I will send it back to FIIO for service, They don't have a replacement board to send me, but no problem.
I have to tell, FIIO support is really good. They are always trying to help, I really liked. I was thinking about getting a X5 and just decided I will get a X5. Thumbs UP for FIIO! 

+1 I agree. I received the replacement case for my DIY 2 days ago - it was very cheap to buy and ship and arrived super fast. Their communication was brilliant in my experience too.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,482 of 2,388
Just want to add another opamp to my 'must try' recommendation - OPA827. It is detail, airy with a really good soundstage, but not edgy or grainy in anyway, and pair very well with BUF634 and HA-5002. I think it can rival OPA627 or MUSES02 without a problem.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,483 of 2,388
Just want to add another opamp to my 'must try' recommendation - OPA827. It is detail, airy with a really good soundstage, but not edgy or grainy in anyway, and pair very well with BUF634 and HA-5002. I think it can rival OPA627 or MUSES02 without a problem.

Available as DIP8?

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,484 of 2,388

How is the bass presence and extension?  Would you say the sound is balanced?
Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,485 of 2,388
Is this the OPA827AID version - might just have a go with this one as it is a lot more reasonable than the opa827au
Available as DIP8?

Is that the OPA827AID opamp? - Seems a lot more reasonable than that OPA627au

Users who are viewing this thread

Back