FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jan 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #721 of 2,388
   Its a really good improvement to change the opamp psu caps (ohhh the bass is muuuch better!) after 100hs I will add some ceramic in parallel.

I will order the HA5002 and the adapters =D, lets check how it sounds with the muses! 

In general, Black Gates do better bypassed with BG's. The sound can get a little skewed with other capacitors, even really good ones. A .47 NPX 50V Black Gate would be good. 

I also want to just let my E12 DIY burn in more as I still hear changes and the changes, in comparison to two other amps to confirm it is not in my head and so on and so forth, are positive so I want to know where the more-or-less stock amp ends up. I have also noted that Black Gates can take hundreds of hours to truly "form". This has also been noted by Audio Note UK, as they allow for many hundreds of hours before assuming the sound is final. They also feel BG's should have a charge to them all the time in order to stay formed or they will require some reforming again, and I have also noted this change. 

I think I like the buf634 better. A little warmer, not warm but to me, the 5002 is very neutral but not as musical in this case. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #722 of 2,388
  In general, Black Gates do better bypassed with BG's. The sound can get a little skewed with other capacitors, even really good ones. A .47 NPX 50V Black Gate would be good. 

I also want to just let my E12 DIY burn in more as I still hear changes and the changes, in comparison to two other amps to confirm it is not in my head and so on and so forth, are positive so I want to know where the more-or-less stock amp ends up. I have also noted that Black Gates can take hundreds of hours to truly "form". This has also been noted by Audio Note UK, as they allow for many hundreds of hours before assuming the sound is final. They also feel BG's should have a charge to them all the time in order to stay formed or they will require some reforming again, and I have also noted this change. 

I think I like the buf634 better. A little warmer, not warm but to me, the 5002 is very neutral but not as musical in this case. 

I don't have a BG that low 
frown.gif

I don't know why, but to my ears prefer the LME49600 over the BUF. Sometimes the BUF seems to be harsh in the treble end.. don't know.

I really like this amp, and the muses/opa627 and did not arrived yet. I think it will be my mobile amp setup =D

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #723 of 2,388
The opa627 are some of the best and have been for years, IMO. I like the combo of the buf634 and opa627. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #724 of 2,388
  I just start modding mine. Had some blackgates PK inside a box, why not?

Just giving them a nice first burn. Then I will change the resistors and increase the Bandwidth and see what happens
biggrin.gif

Pleasee, when modding.. disconnect the battery and the buffers/opamps FIRST!

So will replacing the stock, red caps with the other caps provided improve the sound of the DIY?

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #725 of 2,388

So will replacing the stock, red caps with the other caps provided improve the sound of the DIY?

The replace caps are Elna Tonerex, the entry line of ELNA. So I really don't know how would sound against the VIMA's (the red ones) 
Do you have any experience on desoldering/soldering? If yes, I would highly advise you to try =D
If not, get some experience on another circuits. As I could see, the E12DY pads (where you solder) are really delicate, so the soldering iron tip would easily destroy them.

If you ask me.. how about Elna Silmic II .. Then would be a yes 
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #726 of 2,388
Yes, some traces can lift easily and then you have to do a wire jump and it can get messy. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #727 of 2,388
Hi, I see that a if you wanna install the Muses, you might need to sand down the case? actually myself dont have the confident to do this here, coz the cases have no spare parts also :frowning2: is it still possible to use Muse with it? Maybe just need to close a little bit more tightly? 

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #728 of 2,388
  Hi, I see that a if you wanna install the Muses, you might need to sand down the case? actually myself dont have the confident to do this here, coz the cases have no spare parts also :frowning2: is it still possible to use Muse with it? Maybe just need to close a little bit more tightly? 

you might risk spoilt the pcb board of the e12diy if you didnt sand/file it...

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #729 of 2,388

If your case can accommodate it without any problem, you are the lucky few. If indeed it can't close with an DIP8 opamp (i.e. MUSES), then sanding is the only way to go. DO NOT try to force it in by bending the PCB, or else something will break sooner or later. If you don't have the confident to use a rotary tool to sand it down, then use a small file with manual labour. Since you are sanding the inside of the case at a very slow pace, even a very poor job will only result in rough surface that you won't notice from the outside, so it is almost 100% foolproof. The only real downside is that it will require a lot of elbow grease

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #731 of 2,388

I have 2 boxes of Black Gates, will have to see which ones to try. 

The HA5002 are sounding very clean, as usual. Working well in the E12 DIY. 

Wow, things are getting serious. Please let us know how the BGs sound. Have they been discontinued? I used to get them when I could find the right values, but that was a few years ago just before rumors that Black Gates were ceasing production.

I would be happy if they are still being made. Sadly, sometime the really good components go out of production. I'm still lamenting the loss of the Shinkoh tantalum resistors.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #732 of 2,388

Wow, things are getting serious. Please let us know how the BGs sound. Have they been discontinued? I used to get them when I could find the right values, but that was a few years ago just before rumors that Black Gates were ceasing production.

I would be happy if they are still being made. Sadly, sometime the really good components go out of production. I'm still lamenting the loss of the Shinkoh tantalum resistors.

Ah, the tants. I have the good ones in my fi.Q. Yes, sad their passing as the Audio Note UK ones use ferrous metal end caps, no good with that. Yes BG's went out 5 or more years ago (the owner of the patent reusing to allow anyone to bring them back - his wife died and he went into depression). I built up a stock while they were still on sale, not knowing for sure they were going out. Now it is said that electrolytics will dry out but I have never had a problem with even my oldest Black Gates. Yes, sad their passing. Nothing has equalled them. I also have the high voltage higher uF caps for tube amps in NOS. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #733 of 2,388
I have a few BlackGate NX Hi-Q left from some LOD project which actually I don't find to be great (though not bad either). Doesn't really matter anyway as they don't have high enough rating as power caps. Thought I will go with Silmic II this time. Some other options that crossed my mind are Panasonic FC and Nichicon Muse. Well, those are the popular choice anyway..Maybe soldering some socket in for caps rolling as well?
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #734 of 2,388
  I have a few BlackGate NX Hi-Q left from some LOD project which actually I don't find to be great (though not bad either). Doesn't really matter anyway as they don't have high enough rating as power caps. Thought I will go with Silmic II this time. Some other options that crossed my mind are Panasonic FC and Nichicon Muse. Well, those are the popular choice anyway..Maybe soldering some socket in for caps rolling as well?
tongue.gif

Im sorry but Muse's lead (KZ) won't pass through the holes (I've tried).
The socket idea is a really good idea.  Talking about sockets, My next mod, all the sockets are going to be replaced by SIL pins. All the solids will be replaced as we'll =D

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #735 of 2,388
There are pins that work with op amps that would make the stand-off of the op amp in the E12 DIY so low that you could use DIP op amps. I have some and may desolder the socket, if the mood hits me. They can also be used for individual sockets that would work for caps but I don't like a lot of push type sockets in the way of a cap, I prefer hard wired but it is worth a try. On Black Gates, the only thing that gave them a bad name was that people, including myself at times, did not let them run in long enough. They take a long time to form. 

I agree with ClieOS, the Silmic II, FC and Muse would be a nice caps to try. I can't think of any others myself right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back