FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
May 19, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #2,206 of 2,388
I'll hit Radio Shack tomorrow. It sounds plausible, though? It was working fine until a week ago when I noticed some distortion noise at low volume with OPA627. What points do I measure with the multi-meter? Thanks for the help, by the way.

Just checked, it is a 11.1V battery, which means it is a triple stacked Li-ion (3.7V x 3). So the low end should be (3.2V x 3) = 9.6V. As long as it is around or above that number, the battery might be fine. But if it is well below that number, then it is likely a goner and required a replacement. Before measurement, do give it a recharge for a few hours so you will know for sure it is the battery not taking any charge.

There should be 4 wires coming out of the battery, 2 black and 2 red, connected to PCB with a socket. Just measured the outer two pins (one red and one black) and it should give you a reading.

May 19, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #2,207 of 2,388
Just checked, it is a 11.1V battery, which means it is a triple stacked Li-ion (3.7V x 3). So the low end should be (3.2V x 3) = 9.6V. As long as it is around or above that number, the battery might be fine. But if it is well below that number, then it is likely a goner and required a replacement. Before measurement, do give it a recharge for a few hours so you will know for sure it is the battery not taking any charge.

There should be 4 wires coming out of the battery, 2 black and 2 red, connected to PCB with a socket. Just measured the outer two pins (one red and one black) and it should give you a reading.

Thanks a lot for the info.

May 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,208 of 2,388
May I get you opinion on which buffers would be the best to pair with muses01/02 in the e12 DIY?  
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

May 24, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,209 of 2,388
I never got around to buying a multi-meter, but I did receive the new batteries today. Had no problem installing a new one, unfortunately still got the same result: with every chip combination the dreaded flashing blue light of death. I'm wondering if Fiio would fix this on my dime. Guess it's time to send an inquiry. The amp has to much sonic goodness to just toss in the trash.

May 24, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,210 of 2,388
I never got around to buying a multi-meter, but I did receive the new batteries today. Had no problem installing a new one, unfortunately still got the same result: with every chip combination the dreaded flashing blue light of death. I'm wondering if Fiio would fix this on my dime. Guess it's time to send an inquiry. The amp has to much sonic goodness to just toss in the trash.

They're pretty good with that sort of thing. Good idea to at least ask the question. Good luck!

May 24, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2,211 of 2,388

Try this: take the opamp and buffer out, find something to polish and clean the socket as well as the pins on opamp / buffer.

May 24, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,212 of 2,388
Try this: take the opamp and buffer out, find something to polish and clean the socket as well as the pins on opamp / buffer.

I use Deoxit Gold on the sockets and pins of the op-amps and buffers. The sockets look a bit wet with the stuff, though.

May 24, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #2,213 of 2,388
I use Deoxit Gold on the sockets and pins of the op-amps and buffers. The sockets look a bit wet with the stuff, though.

I would have just used some tissue or some light sanding. Applying solution to socket might increase the risk of shorting-out

May 24, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #2,214 of 2,388
I would have just used some tissue or some light sanding. Applying solution to socket might increase the risk of shorting-out

Deoxit Gold is supposedly really good for connectivity. I've used it for years on jacks, IC's and sockets and never had a problem with another amp. Appreciate the help, though. I did use some Q-tips and a fan to dry the sockets but it didn't help.
Fiio responded to my email and gave me instructions to send the amp to them in China. Seems like my best bet.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,215 of 2,388
so, i figured some of the opamp (dual discrete ones like SS3602) is just too big for the case, even though voltage rating is suitable for DIYE12.
I'm talking with a guy that I met in new york meet to 3D print a bigger case, but I think it might take bit while.
anybody know who might be able to design a bigger DIY E12 case?

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #2,216 of 2,388
  so, i figured some of the opamp (dual discrete ones like SS3602) is just too big for the case, even though voltage rating is suitable for DIYE12.
I'm talking with a guy that I met in new york meet to 3D print a bigger case, but I think it might take bit while.
anybody know who might be able to design a bigger DIY E12 case?

is the pinout the same?

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,218 of 2,388
Got my E12 DIY back from Fiio in China. I highly recommend their customer service. They fixed the amp at no charge even though there was no warranty, and I paid shipping each way. Now I have to figure out again what chip configuration I like the most. Right now I have OPA627 with HA-5002 in the buffer slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back