FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Sep 11, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,086 of 2,388
I wanted overall better sound quality.
Like more detail and quality to it,punchier bass,deeper bass.
But for some unknown to me reasons fiio x3-1st gen delivers much better sound quality,like nore interesting ,fullier.

I will try to return it to store,though i already tried to switch opamps(

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,087 of 2,388
I think you just prefer the sound signature of X3 over that of E12DIY, and you seem to be buying amp for the wrong reasons.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #2,088 of 2,388
As I said, the amp just improves whatever is already there, it won't give deeper bass if the deeper bass isn't already there. Don't forget that the headphone also affects in a big way, bigger than the amp. Same for punchier bass. If the headphones/iems you use just aren't punchy enough, no amp will make them punchier. 

File mastering too, an amp may reveal deficiencies in mastering. I don't have anything as high as yours but I do have FLAC that sound much worse and compressed and flat than even an 128kbps MP3 of the same song. Mind blowing yea. But it happens. The FLAC was a CD rip even.

Or as @ClieOS said it's entirely possible that you just like the X3 sound.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2,089 of 2,388
As I said, the amp just improves whatever is already there, it won't give deeper bass if the deeper bass isn't already there. Don't forget that the headphone also affects in a big way, bigger than the amp. Same for punchier bass. If the headphones/iems you use just aren't punchy enough, no amp will make them punchier. 

File mastering too, an amp may reveal deficiencies in mastering. I don't have anything as high as yours but I do have FLAC that sound much worse and compressed and flat than even an 128kbps MP3 of the same song. Mind blowing yea. But it happens. The FLAC was a CD rip even.

Or as @ClieOS
 said it's entirely possible that you just like the X3 sound.

Hope they will make a return because i guess amp just is something not for me

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #2,090 of 2,388
Just had a scare when installing HA5002 buffers. Turned it on after confirming pin placement was correct, and power and charging LEDs started blinking and it shut off. I thought I fried it, but it was just running low on batteries. Whew!

I hear a low-level hum with HA5002 that I don't get with the other buffers. Hum volume is constant - doesn't increase as I turn up the volume pot. Anyone else get this?

Any new favorite opamp + buffer combos out there?

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,091 of 2,388
  Just had a scare when installing HA5002 buffers. Turned it on after confirming pin placement was correct, and power and charging LEDs started blinking and it shut off. I thought I fried it, but it was just running low on batteries. Whew!

I hear a low-level hum with HA5002 that I don't get with the other buffers. Hum volume is constant - doesn't increase as I turn up the volume pot. Anyone else get this?

Any new favorite opamp + buffer combos out there?

JRC4556 + LME49600 was very transparent and airy. 
biggrin.gif
 A couple of my frineds commented that it was over-detailed though. Now using OPA827 + LME49600. It's not quite as transparent as the JRC but very natural sounding and musical. I really quite like it. 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,093 of 2,388
Sep 22, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #2,094 of 2,388
Not yet. I swapped it in after the HA5002 because I was getting a low-level him with HA5002 that I don't get with BUF634 or LME49600. Honestly, once I have the money and find one in good shape for a good price, I'd love to pick up a second DIY (preferably gold) so I can really A/B them and keep two configurations around. It's a sweet amp!

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,095 of 2,388
I received a bunch of chips yesterday including AD8599, AD8066, OPA2107, LM4562 and others I can't recall. Have nearly finished burning in and will then complete a full comparison with each op amp and buffer combo (incl. the op amps that came with the DIY). Happy to share the sheet for others to add to once it's done. Or, if anyone beats me to it, happy to share my notes for addition to your work.

I know this is old... Did you ever get the chance to make your notes public? I'd love to get a look at your impressions of the various non-stock opamps...

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #2,096 of 2,388
I know this is old... Did you ever get the chance to make your notes public? I'd love to get a look at your impressions of the various non-stock opamps...

I think I posted some impressions somewhere in this thread, but I can summarise:

OPA627 is easily my favourite. It's smooth, but detailed and creates a great sense of space in the sound, especially with BUF634

OPA827 comes in close behind with a slightly brighter sound and just a hair less space

LME49990 is also excellent - quite similar to OPA827, but a little more precise-sounding. Good for those who like lots of detail and clarity.

MUSES01 is actually not one of my favourites. I find it a bit flat and lifeless in it's presentation compared to some others, but it's still an upgrade on most of the stock opamps.

NJM5532 is a budget beast and comes really close to my favourites. It sounds slightly rawer than the OPA827, but still excellent.

HA5002 buffers are great, but don't play well with all the opamps so I've found myself using BUF634 mostly.

I can't remember my thoughts on the AD chips, but none quite matched these.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #2,097 of 2,388
I think I posted some impressions somewhere in this thread, but I can summarise:

OPA627 is easily my favourite. It's smooth, but detailed and creates a great sense of space in the sound, especially with BUF634

OPA827 comes in close behind with a slightly brighter sound and just a hair less space

LME49990 is also excellent - quite similar to OPA827, but a little more precise-sounding. Good for those who like lots of detail and clarity.

MUSES01 is actually not one of my favourites. I find it a bit flat and lifeless in it's presentation compared to some others, but it's still an upgrade on most of the stock opamps.

NJM5532 is a budget beast and comes really close to my favourites. It sounds slightly rawer than the OPA827, but still excellent.

HA5002 buffers are great, but don't play well with all the opamps so I've found myself using BUF634 mostly.

I can't remember my thoughts on the AD chips, but none quite matched these.

Awesome! Thank you so much. I went through some 15-20 pages of impressions, but at one point I simply gave up. I'll probably go back sifting through all that material some other time, but it'll likely take days/weeks.

Re MUSES01... Is it possible you ended up with a fake chip?

Re AD... Some posters had suggested that the AD8599 approaches an end-game op-amp with the E12DIY. Did you get a chance to try this one?

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #2,098 of 2,388

Awesome! Thank you so much. I went through some 15-20 pages of impressions, but at one point I simply gave up. I'll probably go back sifting through all that material some other time, but it'll likely take days/weeks.

Re MUSES01... Is it possible you ended up with a fake chip?

Re AD... Some posters had suggested that the AD8599 approaches an end-game op-amp with the E12DIY. Did you get a chance to try this one?

My MUSES01 is definitely genuine - it's just not as good as the very best alternatives - very good, but not great IMO

I have the AD8599, but I'm not 100% sold on it. If OPA627 / OPA827 / NJM5532 are tier 1A and 1B then the MUSES are in tier 2A and the AD8599, AD8620 and AD8066 would be tier 2B or 3

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #2,099 of 2,388

My MUSES01 is definitely genuine - it's just not as good as the very best alternatives - very good, but not great IMO

I have the AD8599, but I'm not 100% sold on it. If OPA627 / OPA827 / NJM5532 are tier 1A and 1B then the MUSES are in tier 2A and the AD8599, AD8620 and AD8066 would be tier 2B or 3

Very interesting. At the beginning I recall you preferred OPA1611 over all other stock E12DIY opamps, but I suspect it's fallen down the order...

Concerning compatibility with the E12DIY case, am I correct that all of OPA627, OPA827AD8599 are SOIC-8 and as such are perfect fits (i.e. require no grinding of the case)?

I'm new to the game and I'd like to avoid ordering a batch of incompatible chips... (From what I see, both NJM5532 and MUSES01/02 are DIP-8, and will require grinding.)

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #2,100 of 2,388

Very interesting. At the beginning I recall you preferred OPA1611 over all other stock E12DIY opamps, but I suspect it's fallen down the order...

Concerning compatibility with the E12DIY case, am I correct that all of OPA627, OPA827AD8599 are SOIC-8 and as such are perfect fits (i.e. require no grinding of the case)?

I'm new to the game and I'd like to avoid ordering a batch of incompatible chips... (From what I see, both NJM5532 and MUSES01/02 are DIP-8, and will require grinding.)

Correct, re: OPA1611. It's a good op amp, but can be a little extreme with it's presentation so it sounds highly detailed, but is not as "true to life" as some of my favourites. Still, I think it's one of the better op amps in the stock kit.

You're correct about the OPA627/827 and AD8599 too. The NJM & MUSES do require grinding of the case. Honestly, I don't believe it's worth the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back