FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Dec 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,981 of 2,388
No I don't have any muses opamps,(and didn't want to buy a fake one, so I got the 12a to try it)
So it's not a fair comparison I made, but the muses seem to not have as much bass in their sound Is what I should have said.
Merry Xmas, and lots of ho ho ho's.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #1,982 of 2,388
After doing more comparison's between e12diy and e12a, I'm finding that the diy is better for my p7, and that extra voltage lights them up, for that purpose I'm keeping it, the B&W p7 sounds the best I've heard them through the DIY.
But the e12a shines with iem's, they are perfect for this, and its preference to power iem's are obvious as you plug them in.
It looks like I'm keeping both, for now. I like how their both performing. If you use IEM's the 12a is perfectly tuned for those things, and is worth a demo in my opinion.

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,983 of 2,388
I have both and they are very good amps. Clean sound, great dynamics and transient speed. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #1,985 of 2,388
Enjoying HA5002 + OPA627 :)

Cheers to ClieOS and Reima for making it happen!

:beerchug:

Yes, it's a great combo for sure. Glad you're enjoying it!

Have you tried OPA627 with LME49600? It's good, too, but different.

It's funny. Whenever I go back to the LME49600, I'm taken with how much more open and dynamic it sounds. Good stuff!

But after a time, I'll go back to the HA-5002, and I'll be surprised at how much fuller and meatier it sounds. Also great! In direct comparison, it makes the LME49600 sound somewhat lean and wirey, IMO.

But I love both. I wish I had enough E12DIYs to have all my favorite combos set up.

It's interesting that the stock FiiO E12/E12A spec the LME49600, as does the Cayin C5.

To my limited knowledge, I'm not aware of any commercial portable offerings that spec the HA-5002, as good as it sounds.

Right now I'm really digging the E12A with my IEMs. But I also have an E12DIY set up with OPA627 and LME49600 and another set up with MUSES02 and HA-5002. All great in their own way.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,986 of 2,388
Nope, haven't tried OPA627 with LME49600 yet. I acquired quite a few Opamps to try and was running them through with BUF but remembered people commenting on how good OPA627 + HA5002 sounded, so I broke up my routine.

At first, I was getting a lot of hum out of the HO with OPA627 + HA5002 - but only if I pushed the volume pot past ~9 o'clock. Then I reseated OPA627 and both HA5002, and luckily the hum went away.

I think you've got the right idea with two E12 DIY K.T.. I might have to look for another or see if someone wants to trade for my Cayin C5, since I can get similar sound out of E12 DIY and really don't like the bass boost implementation on Cayin C5 (too boomy).

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,987 of 2,388
To my limited knowledge, I'm not aware of any commercial portable offerings that spec the HA-5002, as good as it sounds.

That's because HA-5002 is a video buffer with no short current protection. It is mostly safe for audio use but there is still a chance it might burn itself up when incorrectly connected (when you short the live to the ground basically). It is the kind of liability manufacturer will rather not face.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,988 of 2,388

That's because HA-5002 is a video buffer with no short current protection. It is mostly safe for audio use but there is still a chance it might burn itself up when incorrectly connected (when you short the live to the ground basically). It is the kind of liability manufacturer will rather not face.

ClieOS,

That makes total sense. Manufacturers would shoot themselves in the foot if they chose a device that was so prone to damage from user error and simple accidents.

One thing op amp rolling has shown me is just how much a buffer contributes to the overall SQ of an amp.

You hear "buffer" and may think that they all perform the same simple function.

But they do inject their own signature into the sound, sometimes radically altering the sound, from buffer to buffer.

In fact, the choice of buffer can make or break how your system works for you. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,990 of 2,388
  Hi guys,

I have a e12 diy that was working fine till afew days ago when the right channel cut out completely. What can I do about it?

You switched op amps and buffers to see if it follows? If it doesn't then for some reason the channel has gone out. It could be anything from a solder joint coming loose on the pcb for the input or output jack etc. Did you do anything just prior to this happening?

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,991 of 2,388

You switched op amps and buffers to see if it follows? If it doesn't then for some reason the channel has gone out. It could be anything from a solder joint coming loose on the pcb for the input or output jack etc. Did you do anything just prior to this happening?

Yup. Doesn't seem to fix the problem. Haven't used it for about a month or so since I sold my DX90.

The warranty's gone the moment the seal is broken right?

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,992 of 2,388
  Yup. Doesn't seem to fix the problem. Haven't used it for about a month or so since I sold my DX90.

It shouldn't be.  That was the whole point of the DIY.  My Bad...didn't see the entry about giving up after-sales support.
redface.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #1,993 of 2,388

Have you tried reset yet? Other things to try: unplug battery and use a new cable.

It shouldn't be.  That was the whole point of the DIY.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

It is clearly stated since the beginning of sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back