FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,966 of 2,388
There is no DIP version of OPA627 and OPA627 is a single channel opamp. You will have to buy two of those and solder them on a dual to single adapter that came bundled with the E12DIY.

The OPA627 is certainly a fine choice for this amp. So much comes down to taste. I love my OPA627, but keep coming back to the MUSES. But both are pretty awesome.

At one time a DIP version of the OPA627 did exist. I got samples directly from the company, can't remember if it was TI or Burr Brown at that time. That was like 15+ years ago. I put some sockets in an Adcom GFP565 I was using an plopped them in. They sounded way too warm in that application. Probably needed some tweaking to the biasing and supporting circuitry to make them sing.

Even if you did find some of these DIP packages, these are a single channel op amp, as Hal mentioned, and would not work for the E12DIY.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,968 of 2,388
  Hmm clieos, if i were to get a muse02 at that japanese site...forgot the name haha, what good buffers should i lompang? :xf_eek:

The stock LME49600 pairs up pretty well with MUSES02. Personally, I like Intersil HA-5002 a bit more, though you need to use the special BrownDog adapter with it.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,970 of 2,388
  eveything obtainable from akizuki denshi? if not any reputable place to get all in 1 place? :xf_eek:

If price isn't a factor, everything can be found on Mouser, except for BrownDog adapter which you 'll have to source from BrownDog.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,971 of 2,388
So I got a new E12A just a few days ago. This is the IEM specific amp with MUSES02 and LME49600 buffer.

It sounds good. Kinda what I expected, since I've been using the MUSES01 and MUSES02 for a while.

What I didn't expect, though, was how I'm starting to like the LME49600 again.

It's a really open sounding buffer, and with the right song and IEMs/headphones, can really create a surprising sense of space and openness.

Interesting because this buffer is used in the standard E12, and also the Cayin C5. The C5 really shows off this sense of space, but again, with certain tracks and copasetic IEMs/headphones.

I had tried the LME49600 a while ago, but dismissed it because of a slight wireyness to the sound. Interestingly, I don't find that so objectionable the second time around.

Right now I'm testing the LME49600 with some OPA627. Very musical, but with some IEM/headphone combos it might sound too soft. I thought so with a couple of songs I listened to, so swapped out to the OPA827. This combo actually sounded too lean, so back to the OPA627. I really like this pairing. Very nice.

But LME49600 does go well with the MUSES02. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm curious to use it with the MUSES01.

Interestingly, the HA-5002, which was my go to buffer, sounds really good. But there's a sense of opacity and density to the sound. It doesn't seem to do the spacial effects that the LME49600 does (which can be quite breathtaking). At least not on the IEMs/phones I've tried so far.

So the LME49600 is back on my list, at least for the time being.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #1,972 of 2,388
Ordered an E12a today. Wanna check on the sound of Muses this way, as there are too many cheap copies of those around on the market. I think it is a smoove move from Fiio to bring this E12 version.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #1,974 of 2,388
Do you have the DIY too? I'm keen to read some direct comparisons

Like what? With DIY, you get more power and you get to swap out opamps and buffers to give your amp whatever flavor you like. E12A sounds very nice and has less power but still more than I'd like on low gain.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,977 of 2,388
Yeah, its still very sensitive and the volume jumps up fast on a high voltage line outputs.
I think I like the bass better on my e12diy (could be the cerafine capacitor update) it seems more controlled and tighter. Although my 12a is still burning in. Its also a bit heavier, 12a has a sweet midrange very detailed and classical music is where it excels so far.
Maybe 12a needs more time to form its final sound. But so far my diy is getting my toes tapping more.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,978 of 2,388
Do you have the DIY too? I'm keen to read some direct comparisons

That's very helpful for one thing - the comment about too much power.

I guess I'm curious to know if E12A sounds as good with IEMs as DIY with same setup or if DIY is still a better circuit

With the same opamp and buffer combo, volume matched and listened to IEM, I can't tell them apart.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,979 of 2,388
With the same opamp and buffer combo, volume matched and listened to IEM, I can't tell them apart.

That's all I wanted to know. The Muses are hard to get in my region. And then there is the risk of fraudulent units. Now I have E12 with Muses and I trust on that Fiio got me the original ones.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,980 of 2,388
Yeah, its still very sensitive and the volume jumps up fast on a high voltage line outputs.
I think I like the bass better on my e12diy (could be the cerafine capacitor update) it seems more controlled and tighter. Although my 12a is still burning in. Its also a bit heavier, 12a has a sweet midrange very detailed and classical music is where it excels so far.
Maybe 12a needs more time to form its final sound. But so far my diy is getting my toes tapping more.

With same buffer & opamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back