FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Oct 7, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,817 of 2,388
  So what's the signature of the E12A? Neutral or warm?

Neutral to slight warm. Warm might not be the right word here, maybe 'rich' will be more befitting.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,819 of 2,388
  That's nice. I'll probably get one! Are the op amps and buffer soldered onto the circuit board?

Dunno. My prototype has sockets but it is more of an adopted / modded version of E12DIY. But they might not want to have socket in the mass production units since it is not meant for DIY. Judging from the PCB picture on FiiO's website, I'll say there is definitely no buffer socket (as LME49600 only comes in surface mount packaging), so the chance of opamp socket is also slim.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,820 of 2,388
I have tried the combo MUSES02 + LME49600 yesterday and I guess, it sounds much less spacious than the combo which I normally use in my E12DIY, MUSES02 + BUF634.

Maybe it is my AKG K3003 with its low impedance. It has only 8 ohms.

So far I'm glad to own the E12DIY and have the choice to put in the combo I prefer. :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,821 of 2,388

Dunno. My prototype has sockets but it is more of an adopted / modded version of E12DIY. But they might not want to have socket in the mass production units since it is not meant for DIY. Judging from the PCB picture on FiiO's website, I'll say there is definitely no buffer socket (as LME49600 only comes in surface mount packaging), so the chance of opamp socket is also slim.

I see! @JamesFiiO perhaps an E12A DIY in 2015? 
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,822 of 2,388
I see! @JamesFiiO
 perhaps an E12A DIY in 2015? :wink:

A nice wish. I suspect, however, that as fantastic as the E12DIY was for us, the end user, it was probably a logistical and time management headache for James and FiiO. I doubt that they turned a profit on it.

So I doubt we'll be seeing another limited production DIY amp from FiiO anytime soon.

The E12DIY will go down in the annals of portable amps as a terrifically ambitious and unique project, however. It's a rare and special device.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,823 of 2,388
A nice wish. I suspect, however, that as fantastic as the E12DIY was for us, the end user, it was probably a logistical and time management headache for James and FiiO. I doubt that they turned a profit on it.

So I doubt we'll be seeing another limited production DIY amp from FiiO anytime soon.

The E12DIY will go down in the annals of portable amps as a terrifically ambitious and unique project, however. It's a rare and special device.

Some day, people from all across the universe, will come together at an annual meeting, to share the one E12DIY that has survived space and time. As they take the device from the protective shielding, a few men faint, others scream. Clean pants required all around. People fall to their knees. This is it. The moment they've all been waiting for.

The Apostles of the Amplifier take the device to the first row. The president of the United Galaxies plugs in his astroplayer at the one end, his cerebral implant on the other side. Tears. A smile. The crowd applaudes him as he finishes listening.

One by one the people gets to listen to it. Oh how glorious it is that they've been chosen of the billions who wanted to come here. Something they'll be telling their grandchildren about for years to come.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,824 of 2,388
Some day, people from all across the universe, will come together at an annual meeting, to share the one E12DIY that has survived space and time. As they take the device from the protective shielding, a few men faint, others scream. Clean pants required all around. People fall to their knees. This is it. The moment they've all been waiting for.

The Apostles of the Amplifier take the device to the first row. The president of the United Galaxies plugs in his astroplayer at the one end, his cerebral implant on the other side. Tears. A smile. The crowd applaudes him as he finishes listening.

One by one the people gets to listen to it. Oh how glorious it is that they've been chosen of the billions who wanted to come here. Something they'll be telling their grandchildren about for years to come.

LOL

I've just locked mine in a hermetically sealed vault... it'll be worth a fortune when that day comes!

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,825 of 2,388
LOL

I've just locked mine in a hermetically sealed vault... it'll be worth a fortune when that day comes!

And just like that, cause and effect mixed up.

It was my story they found first. Then they read your comment, after which they tried to find this fantastic device.

After millennia they did. Locked in a hermetically sealed vault. "Property of Loquah" it reads on the front.

(I believe there's no way to go any more off-topic than this, hahaha)

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,826 of 2,388
And just like that, cause and effect mixed up.

It was my story they found first. Then they read your comment, after which they tried to find this fantastic device.

After millennia they did. Locked in a hermetically sealed vault. "Property of Loquah" it reads on the front.

(I believe there's no way to go any more off-topic than this, hahaha)

Hey, we're still talking about an E12DIY!

To get more current with the topic though, which chip combos have people settled on and why?

I'm currently rocking MUSES01 and LME49600 because it pairs really nicely with the SE846 and the MUSES01 seems to compliment / counterbalance the LME49600's tendency to push everything to the sides of the stage

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,827 of 2,388
I've  a question: When I set the volume in the same loudness for high gain and low gain the high gain is more dynamically. It seems like it has more bass and treble in high gain position and richer mids in the low gain position. For the use with my AKG K3003 the best would be the middle of both. Is it possible to change the high gain switch to less power output?

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,828 of 2,388
  I've  a question: When I set the volume in the same loudness for high gain and low gain the high gain is more dynamically. It seems like it has more bass and treble in high gain position and richer mids in the low gain position. For the use with my AKG K3003 the best would be the middle of both. Is it possible to change the high gain switch to less power output?

I believe the manual describes this and it involves using some of the provided resistors

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,829 of 2,388
...Clean pants required all around.

That's just too much. Now you are just being sarcastic. Maybe for nobility and billionaires. Normal people can't be required to don the clean pants. Not even a billion years from now!

Good observations about the LME49600. I had written that one off, too. It was too wirey sounding when I tried it before.

I'll have to try it with both MUSES. But there are so many variations, I have yet to get a handle of the MUSES with HA-5002!

But maybe MUSES with LME49600 is the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back