FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Dec 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,081 of 1,676
  How many folk actually use the Fiio with a PC? There are far better options for PC music, like a Dragonfly (down to $99 on special last weekend). I see the Fiio as a very good option for portable music. As most portable music comes from a phone and they all seem to use a USB OTG Micro outlet, a cable to go to another USB OTG Micro input seems to make more sense than the swap to the current USB mini B....I needed to cobble together a USB OTG micro to female full sized USB to Male full sized USB cable with the USB mini B for the Fiio. Finding short, quality cables to do that was a mess of trial and error. The cables that come with the Fiio are too long for portable use. I found a vastly better, and smaller, cable from Lindy.com that works and does not make up a cable bundle larger than the combined phone/fiio.

Put simply, Fiio makes a very nice DAC/Headphone amp but its execution is spoiled by the cable issue (IMHO)

More than you would know. We both don't have empirical data on any of this. But from the amount of 'support' I have done. The mass majority.

Most phones don't support USB OTG. A good portion of Android smartphones don't support USB OTG. Those that do either don't have kernel support for it. Or have spotty support on a hardware+software level. 

There is no cable issue from what I see it. 

I have spoken to many about FiiO's devices. This is the first time I have heard of anyone changing the USB input format of a FiiO device. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #1,082 of 1,676
guys are you sure e11 is better than e07? i wanted to buy, but now i'm confused
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #1,083 of 1,676
Hi everyone. Was wondering if someone could tell me if the E07K USB input is micro or mini? I tried looking up specs through various links from google.No joy! I ask because I'm on the verge of buying one for use with my computer. The cable it comes with might not be long enough for my needs.

I was giving serious thought to getting a Dragonfly, but I need an amp/dac combo. As my computer is pretty old and the sound card just doesn't cut it anymore. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,084 of 1,676
A noob qs but when using the eo7k as a DAC or rather any DAC with an android phone, would you still be able to control the eq, treble and bass settings (of the fiio device) and use say poweramp on android as per normal ?

You will still be able to control the EQ on both E07K as well as your PC/Smartphones' EQ :)

I considered the e12 and e18 but they are a little on the large side for me as a portable. I was thinkin of getting the e07k now as a replacement for my now faulty e11 to go with my android and sansa clip + and then get the upcoming x5 next year :)

Why not consider the FiiO E17? Or MAYBE FiiO will be releasing the E17k next year, if you can wait, it might wroth the wait.

The E11 amp, is better than E07K but the E07K comes with a DAC while the E11 don't :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,085 of 1,676
  More than you would know. We both don't have empirical data on any of this. But from the amount of 'support' I have done. The mass majority.

Most phones don't support USB OTG. A good portion of Android smartphones don't support USB OTG. Those that do either don't have kernel support for it. Or have spotty support on a hardware+software level.

There is no cable issue from what I see it.

I have spoken to many about FiiO's devices. This is the first time I have heard of anyone changing the USB input format of a FiiO device.

That is true BUT, serious music folk know they can use the USB Audio Recorder Pro app to send a digital hi-rez musical signal to the Fiio. In addition, there is a new more serious music app on the horizon from the same folk that will do the same thing but with a better music interface and for more file types.

I keep about 15GB of Hi-Rez music on my Sony Xperia phone and use the UARP app to send music to the Fiio for polish every time I play music on the phone.

Check out this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Lots of info on folk using phones to play music through Fiio devices...

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #1,086 of 1,676
  Hi everyone. Was wondering if someone could tell me if the E07K USB input is micro or mini? I tried looking up specs through various links from google.No joy! I ask because I'm on the verge of buying one for use with my computer. The cable it comes with might not be long enough for my needs.

I was giving serious thought to getting a Dragonfly, but I need an amp/dac combo. As my computer is pretty old and the sound card just doesn't cut it anymore. Thanks in advance for the help.

The Fiio uses a USB mini B connection.

I own a Dragonfly and am really pleased with it. I run a set of powered speakers from the Dragonfly but the device can control volume all by itself using the PC.

I may be wrong but I believe the Dragonfly completely replaces the sound card when in use.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,087 of 1,676
  That is true BUT, serious music folk know they can use the USB Audio Recorder Pro app to send a digital hi-rez musical signal to the Fiio. In addition, there is a new more serious music app on the horizon from the same folk that will do the same thing but with a better music interface and for more file types.

I keep about 15GB of Hi-Rez music on my Sony Xperia phone and use the UARP app to send music to the Fiio for polish every time I play music on the phone.

Check out this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Lots of info on folk using phones to play music through Fiio devices...

What you are saying is not wrong. It is just that you are assuming way too many things. You are assuming usage characteristics about people you don't know, and you are assuming lots about the kind of people that buy FiiO devices and what they do with it.

I know that thread, I used it in the past.

Lots of people there doesn't mean anything. Why are you assuming this?

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,088 of 1,676
You could well be right about assuming. I also assume that the folk on that other thread all pretty much know about using the Fiio with a phone but I am not so sanguine about the folk on this thread also being aware.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,089 of 1,676
  The Fiio uses a USB mini B connection.

I own a Dragonfly and am really pleased with it. I run a set of powered speakers from the Dragonfly but the device can control volume all by itself using the PC.

I may be wrong but I believe the Dragonfly completely replaces the sound card when in use.

Hi James, thanks for taking the time to respond. As good as the dragonfly appears to be, it only acts as a dac, not an amp. I need a combo of both. Specifically one under under a $100. So the E07K appears to be a good option for me.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,091 of 1,676
Hi James, thanks for taking the time to respond. As good as the dragonfly appears to be, it only acts as a dac, not an amp. I need a combo of both. Specifically one under under a $100. So the E07K appears to be a good option for me.

The dragonfly is a DAC, preamp, Amp. It does have an amp build in. Don't get fooled that it doesn't have volume control, it does amp the signal, you just use the PCs, Macs internal volume control for it.

The only difference is that you can use the fiio as an amp only using the line in. And the fiio has 2 headphone out slots. However, the quality off the sabre DAC chip in the dragonfly is supposedly slightly better than the Wolfson in use in the fiio.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,092 of 1,676
The dragonfly is a DAC, preamp, Amp. It does have an amp build in. Don't get fooled that it doesn't have volume control, it does amp the signal, you just use the PCs, Macs internal volume control for it.

The only difference is that you can use the fiio as an amp only using the line in. And the fiio has 2 headphone out slots. However, the quality off the sabre DAC chip in the dragonfly is supposedly slightly better than the Wolfson in use in the fiio.

Well I definitely stand corrected then. Thank you for the clarification. Whatever device I end up getting, I will be using it primarily with my computer However, I would also be using sometimes with my GS3. I don't know how, or even if it would be possible to do that with the DF. So the EO7K still might be the best overall fit for me. I do appreciate you setting me straight on the Dragonfly though. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,093 of 1,676
Hey, no worries the world of day and amps is very confusing at times. If you want to use your gear mobile the dragonfly is certainly out. It works only on USB.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,095 of 1,676

It's miniUSB, type B

i want to buy e07 for my sansa, somtimes i use pc too, do you thinks between e07 and e11 which one is better?

Go for E07K, it's great value for money. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back