[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Sep 11, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #736 of 2,101
I like it when certain individuals pretend that they only want to make informed purchase decision, but in the fact just trolling the thread with some unreasonable picking.
We already know this product is not for you, wrong size, wrong case, wrong display, you name it, it's all wrong and not up to your high standards, may be it's time to move on with so many others, better offerings around waiting for you.
I wish I was trolling but sadly not. For one I'm more into desktop setup and speakers. Anything portable is for convenience so the last portable amp I bought was an RSA Protector and the only all in one I bought and use is M0. Also, you really think asking for something that was doable on one device but not on the others is a measure of high standard? I think my question and inquiry is legitimate.

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #737 of 2,101
Is this true to any other portable BT dac/amp regardless of manufacturer? It's kinda strange as I just purchased the AP80 Pro X dap, which is supposed to be an upgrade to my M0 with batt on it's last leg which I now have buyers remorse, do not also display song info when in BT receiver mode and only shows codec banner. It now makes me wonder if it's by manufacturer's choice of software implementation because it clearly can be done on the M0.

I didn't realize that any device displayed "Now Playing" information when in BT receive mode. Interesting...

Edit:

Now that I think of it, I do see this in my truck over bluetooth (using iPhone). I have never noticed it on any of my DAPs. Maybe it depends on the profile and/or bluetooth version?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #738 of 2,101
I have been using it as USB dongle on windows 11 laptop with no lag related issues on Youtube or Netflix.
USB shouldn't be an issue at all, BT as always can be slightly laggy, not to the level of desync with video, but not twitch shooters friendly.
Chosen BT codec supposed to have impact on that but real life tests show that it's more HW implementation specific than codec itself.

Bluetooth-Codec-Latency-by-Smartphone-e1554288678837.jpg

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #739 of 2,101
I'm still procrastiating here!
Do I even NEED bluetooth? 😵‍💫
On a purely audio level how does the BTR7 compare with non-blutooth DACs? I'm considering the following over the BTR7 at the moment and wondered if anyone has any experience of them?
iBasso DC06
IFI AUDIO GO BLU
HIDIZS DH80S
AK HC2 Dual DAC
Nuprime Hi-mDAC
Cayin RU6
Earman Sparrow
Really appreciate any comments. Thanks

PS...any other suggestions with 4.4mm balanced output welcomed :p

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #740 of 2,101
On a purely audio level how does the BTR7 compare with non-blutooth DACs? I'm considering the following over the BTR7 at the moment and wondered if anyone has any experience of them?
iBasso DC06
IFI AUDIO GO BLU
HIDIZS DH80S
AK HC2 Dual DAC
Nuprime Hi-mDAC
Cayin RU6
Earman Sparrow

Questyle M15 +++
LP W1 +
to me are superior to BTR7 (own all)
Qudelix 5K is better than BTR7 imho, more neutral and fantastic app, way better BT stability...

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #742 of 2,101
Questyle M15 +++
LP W1 +
to me are superior to BTR7 (own all)
Qudelix 5K is better than BTR7 imho, more neutral and fantastic app, way better BT stability...

I wonder if Qudelix intends to put a 4.4mm connection on it at some point? I’d spring for one right now if it had 4.4mm instead of 2.5mm.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #743 of 2,101
I wonder if Qudelix intends to put a 4.4mm connection on it at some point? I’d spring for one right now if it has 4.4mm instead of 2.5mm.
Indeed...I don't like the idea of a 4.4 to 2.5 adaptor adding weight to an already fragile socket!

Personally I'm super tempted by the Cayin RU6 just because it's r2r and therefore offering something quite different...with my iems and cans ranging from 16-60ohms though I'm guessing they will all be drivable with dongles and the power of the BTR7 is just overkill for my needs?

Out of interest is there any generally held concensus (ha...audiophiles! Lol!) Regarding the differences between the various dac chips or the implementation of single vs dual chips in any of these portable dacs?

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #744 of 2,101
iBasso DC06
IFI AUDIO GO BLU
HIDIZS DH80S
AK HC2 Dual DAC
Nuprime Hi-mDAC
Cayin RU6
Earman Sparrow

If you have easy to drive IEMs and don't mind messing with USB cable and trying to achieve bit-perfect with UAPP, L&P W2 can be a perfect choice. As a portable USB dongle it's one of the most if not the cleanest sounding and technical around.
BT is always a convenience over SQ, although to be honest BTR7 with LDAC sounds almost as good as USB, and no messing with UAPP, just launch your favorite streaming service and you are good to go.

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #745 of 2,101
Indeed...I don't like the idea of a 4.4 to 2.5 adaptor adding weight to an already fragile socket!

I have broken SO MANY 2.5mm jacks. I’ve never broken a 4.4mm and only once a 3.5, but that was a spill that destroyed a Walkman (many years ago) as well. 2.5mm is inherently fragile and when you add a 4.4mm adapter, whether a direct plug type or a cable based “pig-tail,” you add additional stress on an already tenuous connection.

So, yeah. Slap a 4.4 on that Qudelix and I’ll buy one in a heartbeat. In fact, I’m holding on potentially adding the BTR7 or the GO Blu in hopes that the 5k will get an update soon.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #747 of 2,101
Don't know if this question(s) have already been asked...
  • The BTR5 had mic passthrough i.e. if your cable had a mic it would passthrough and be used by the BTR5 instead of the built in mic. Does the BTR7 do the same?
  • If the above is true, if the BTR7 is used as a USB DAC via PC will it recognize the mic either the built in mic on the BTR7 or the one passed through via the cable?
  • Is there a case with a clip or beltloop or something to secure it to a shirt? (Pictures in the gallery show some sort of magnetic strip?)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #749 of 2,101
Somehow comparison with iFi Go Blue is still missing. Any chance anyone compared ifi Go Blue with BTR7?
I did, but just for 5 minutes in a shop. BTR7 sounded slightly cleaner and more extended in the treble. And most importantly had a way blacker background (Go Blu‘s biggest weakness is hiss imo). Go Blu is no slouch though. Also sounds really good - generally very similar but slightly warmer (especially turning on Xbass). If you ask me, all of those recent BT dongles sound really close (I owned a lot of them). Only slight nuances in sound and differences in functionality…
UP5 and Btr7 sound almost identical to my ears btw.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #750 of 2,101
Somehow comparison with iFi Go Blue is still missing. Any chance anyone compared ifi Go Blue with BTR7?

I own and use both for a while now .. mostly with the Sennheiser IE600 and IE900..

1) SQ quality with those IEM are rather similar and can produce a very decent volume level, even a realistic volume pressure (not really good for the ears) ... at my age I can ear from 10hz to a bit more than 15Kz (so that's not so bad for music)..

2) The iFi Go blu has a far better battery life and can be used an all work day without any trouble .. the BTR7 can't exceed 6 hours playing time in LDAC mode and a few phone calls. The iFi go blu is more usable if you need a real day playing time. That is strange as the BTR7 is much heavier and far more bulky than the iFi go blu (which is really tiny and light). Both can be charged while playing with a little 2500mha usb-c battery dongle.

3) The BTR7 can be coupled with 2 smartphones/laptop, the Go blu can't do that.

4) The iFi go blu at a very low volume level has a real permanent little background hiss which is annoying (I had 3 iFi Go blu in 2021/2022 .. all had this issue), the BTR7 has no background hiss

5) I like some times to use the xBass/xSpace features on the iFi go blu, at very low volume level it's like a good old "loudness" feature.

I use both BT Receiver with a magnet ddhifi C10B clip sticked on the back to be able to use them clipped on my shirts.. the BTR7 can't be used with a wireless charging, but it is not an important feature for me.

20220913_172857.jpg

Based on this, I really don't know what I would recommend.. both have severe drawbacks, though they still bring a lot of pleasure and comfort to be used, so even myself I am in trouble very often to select what to use for the incoming day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back