[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Sep 9, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #721 of 2,108
It doesn`t work if you just put it in your pocket?
Holding it in one hand or putting it in short's pocket (mostly on pocketless T-shirt), is how I use it currently when on the go, mostly for morning walks. However, that doesn't seem very convenient. So, of late I have been using it mostly at home, with mobile or as usb dongle. Just because there doesnt seem very convenient way, so have started preferring to leave it at home. IEM with only mobile or TWS seem more convenient options, though with li'l compromise on SQ.
After initial euphoria period, people start looking out for convenience also .. At least true for me. :)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #722 of 2,108
Holding it in one hand or putting it in short's pocket (mostly on pocketless T-shirt), is how I use it currently when on the go, mostly for morning walks. However, that doesn't seem very convenient. So, of late I have been using it mostly at home, with mobile or as usb dongle. Just because there doesnt seem very convenient way, so have started preferring to leave it at home. IEM with only mobile or TWS seem more convenient options, though with li'l compromise on SQ.
After initial euphoria period, people start looking out for convenience also .. At least true for me. :)

I have just tried the BTR7 in my pocket and it works until I walk about 12 metres (39 feet) from my phone between rooms. That is the same as I have with the BTR5. I read somewhere that the Bluetooth range increased from the BTR5, which is not my experience.

Knowing the benefits and limitations of your device is useful and my experience with the BTR5 tells me that I should be able to live with the BTR7 limitations both indoors and outdoors.

Sep 9, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #724 of 2,108
FYI, BTR7 doesn't sounds better than Shanling UA5 via USB mode. I just tested yesterday. Less clarity and refinement overall
To my ears Shanling stuff tends to sound warmer than FiiO, I wouldn't call one better than the other just different.

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #725 of 2,108
1660589474848.png

Surprised at how powerful this little thing is. Drives my Amiron Homes with plenty of headroom. More importantly the SQ on this is surprising. Not much of a drop off going from my Fiio M15 to the BTR7. If any at all. Love how dynamic everything sounds using the BTR7. The BTR7 has me rethinking what is possible for portable dac/amps.

Just let a friend hear the BTR7 and it immedately put a smile on his face. Guy wants to buy one now. lol.
How is it compared to Fiio M15 in terms of audio qualiy?

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #726 of 2,108
How is it compared to Fiio M15 in terms of audio qualiy?
Fiio M15 is more neutral reference tuned DAP. Was Fiios former flagship player and it was tuned as such. It's one of the least colored sounding players I have which is exactly the reason why I use it as my primary tester for IEMs I do reviews for. Its got a wider deeper stage, overall more refined sounding over the BTR7 but the reason why I dig the BTR7, I immediately get a more musical take on the Fiio sound. Its slightly more analogues sounding. It sounds like I threw on a different AMP on the M15 which is another way of looking at it.

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #730 of 2,108
So I just saw FiiO's solution for a case/carrying/wearing, for show and tell it's good but for application and use it's quite undesirable. I have to say just stick with premium thin leather (sheep) to minimize adding bulk. Adding a magnet is pointless as it takes away wireless capability plus it just look distasteful to see it sticking/stacked on a phone. Not sure about that lanyard too as most don't use/wear lanyard and I bet it dangles like crazy when you start walking. So if anything, just a straight up genuine thin sheep leather case will do as the BTR7's logical way of carrying around is inside the pocket/bag or just literally holing it with your hand.

Also, does the BTR7 display info on what's playing when in receiver mode or is just a static banner of type of transmission? The Shanling M0 conveniently shows song info so I don't have to pull out my phone every time to know song info if I'm playing "discovery" mode on Amazon HD.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #731 of 2,108
I'm curious: anyone here by chance using this device to pair with a laptop (in my case, I am in the Apple ecosystem) for video (Youtube, Netflix & Zoom video calls, for example) consumption? Any issues with lag (audio not synced properly with video)?

Sep 10, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #732 of 2,108
So I just saw FiiO's solution for a case/carrying/wearing, for show and tell it's good but for application and use it's quite undesirable. I have to say just stick with premium thin leather (sheep) to minimize adding bulk. Adding a magnet is pointless as it takes away wireless capability plus it just look distasteful to see it sticking/stacked on a phone. Not sure about that lanyard too as most don't use/wear lanyard and I bet it dangles like crazy when you start walking. So if anything, just a straight up genuine thin sheep leather case will do as the BTR7's logical way of carrying around is inside the pocket/bag or just literally holing it with your hand.

Also, does the BTR7 display info on what's playing when in receiver mode or is just a static banner of type of transmission? The Shanling M0 conveniently shows song info so I don't have to pull out my phone every time to know song info if I'm playing "discovery" mode on Amazon HD.
The BTR7 screen shows a static banner for bluetooth codec, sample frequency and bit rate at present eg: LDAC 96/24 it does not show song info such as title and artist for example. Shanling M0 is a DAP with bluetooth send and receive functionality not just a bluetooth receiver like the BTR7, different product category all together.
Showing title and artist according to FiiO is not technically possible with a firmware update so this is not likely to change in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #733 of 2,108
The BTR7 screen shows a static banner for bluetooth codec, sample frequency and bit rate at present eg: LDAC 96/24 it does not show song info such as title and artist for example. Shanling M0 is a DAP with bluetooth send and receive functionality not just a bluetooth receiver like the BTR7, different product all together.
Showing title and artist according to FiiO is not technically possible with a firmware update so this is not likely to change in the future.
Is this true to any other portable BT dac/amp regardless of manufacturer? It's kinda strange as I just purchased the AP80 Pro X dap, which is supposed to be an upgrade to my M0 with batt on it's last leg which I now have buyers remorse, do not also display song info when in BT receiver mode and only shows codec banner. It now makes me wonder if it's by manufacturer's choice of software implementation because it clearly can be done on the M0.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #734 of 2,108
I like it when certain individuals pretend that they only want to make informed purchase decision, but in fact just trolling the thread with some unreasonable picking.
We already know this product is not for you, wrong size, wrong case, wrong display, you name it, it's all wrong and not up to your high standards, may be it's time to move on with so many others, better offerings around waiting for you.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #735 of 2,108
I'm curious: anyone here by chance using this device to pair with a laptop (in my case, I am in the Apple ecosystem) for video (Youtube, Netflix & Zoom video calls, for example) consumption? Any issues with lag (audio not synced properly with video)?
I have been using it as USB dongle on windows 11 laptop with no lag related issues on Youtube or Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back