FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Nov 9, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #662 of 1,870
Yep - he said he was using an iPhone X - so he'd be using AAC as well.

I've tested all the codecs using both FiiO M9 and iPhone & I can't tell a difference. AAC was designed to be audibly transparent - so I don't see an issue.

I just got the BTR3, updated to latest firmware, but on iOS it always gives me the blue logo light (so SBC, not AAC).

Is there a setting somewhere I need to set up to get this to work with AAC?

Also, for some reason the Fiio Music app doesn’t detec the device when its in use

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #663 of 1,870
It’ll flash blue until you hit play, then the blue turns to cyan. At least it does that for me.

And the iOS FiiO app doesn’t detect the BTR3 for me either. Just shows a blank screen.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #666 of 1,870
Hi guys, This is actually my first post on Head-fi, but I am a long time lurker! I have been especially interested in this and the ES100 thread. I own both devices and they have made me realise that Bluetooth is absolutely a viable option at last!

As my name suggests I am about simplicity. I want to find a great portable audio solution that is as compact as possible but that still provides great sound and versatility. I'm an Apple music user and have an Samsung S8 and an iPhone 6s at present. I love the idea of this this tiny device, my IEMs and a smartphone as my setup. Also the idea of my smartphone being free of cables is fantastic.

Just to share some of my thoughts on this product. I think the build is fantastic and a step up from the ES100. I hate the idea of choosing one product over the other based on aesthetics, but durability is so important when talking about a portable product. Initially I thought the lack of balanced out would be a huge negative, but so far it is not presenting any real issues. I think the sound is great, lots of detail and very chunky in the low end and no noticeable noise. IMO It feels like it has a lot more weight in the sound delivered compared to ES100, but of course that is probably just the way the product has been tuned and could probably be replicated by the ES100 with the EQ. Which brings me on to EQ, does anyone know when the EQ functionality will be launched in the FIIO app? I feel that this will really start to unlock the true potential of the device. @FiiO Can you share a timeline for EQ functionality please?

My biggest issue with the product so far is the Bluetooth signal and this is becoming a major issue for me. Sitting in my kitchen, with the phone on the table, just walking around the small room I find it stutters and drops audio regularly. Even just obstructing with my body, but still being at close range. I also experience these issue when out and about, just having my phone in one pocket and the BTR3 in the other. Do people think this could be helped by future firmware upgrades, or is it linked to the design, due to the metal housing (that would be such a shame)? These kinds of issues seem much less with the ES100.

Just my input so far! :smile_phones:

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #667 of 1,870
Hi guys, This is actually my first post on Head-fi, but I am a long time lurker! I have been especially interested in this and the ES100 thread. I own both devices and they have made me realise that Bluetooth is absolutely a viable option at last!

As my name suggests I am about simplicity. I want to find a great portable audio solution that is as compact as possible but that still provides great sound and versatility. I'm an Apple music user and have an Samsung S8 and an iPhone 6s at present. I love the idea of this this tiny device, my IEMs and a smartphone as my setup. Also the idea of my smartphone being free of cables is fantastic.

Just to share some of my thoughts on this product. I think the build is fantastic and a step up from the ES100. I hate the idea of choosing one product over the other based on aesthetics, but durability is so important when talking about a portable product. Initially I thought the lack of balanced out would be a huge negative, but so far it is not presenting any real issues. I think the sound is great, lots of detail and very chunky in the low end and no noticeable noise. IMO It feels like it has a lot more weight in the sound delivered compared to ES100, but of course that is probably just the way the product has been tuned and could probably be replicated by the ES100 with the EQ. Which brings me on to EQ, does anyone know when the EQ functionality will be launched in the FIIO app? I feel that this will really start to unlock the true potential of the device. @FiiO Can you share a timeline for EQ functionality please?

Just my input so far! :smile_phones:

Great (first) post! :)
I have almost exactly the same thoughts on this little device (no balanced but built quality way better and more attack compared to ES100 and XB10) and bluetooth in general (minimalistic approach works great with streaming on the go and BT-SQ is way better than its reputation ) and I am asking myself the same questions: FIIO, please let us know when the EQ is coming!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #669 of 1,870
I had the btr3 and the build quality was great. Ended up wth the es purely on functionality.

Bluetooth is prone to interference as it's congested 2.4ghz. Even microwave oven week affect it.

The little chip antenna on the PCB aren't particularly good.
Be better if the put a larger one as part of the case.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #670 of 1,870
IMG_20181113_071040-01.jpeg
The right side of the clip housing just broke on me. I wasn't aware when it happened but it was clipped to the inner breast pocket of a blazer when I unclipped it and noticed it felt a little off.

It's pretty much spent the past 3 weeks clipped to the headband of my V-Moda XS headphones, so I wasn't constantly clipping and unclipping it. I took it off the XS today to use with a pair of VE Monks with my blazer when I noticed the break.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #671 of 1,870
That's surprising - the one thing the BTR looked like it had was build quality... felt so strong

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #672 of 1,870
Do music apps such as foobar2000 and VLC media player work through the BTR3? If so, will their equalizers also work in the BTR3? VLC has a 10 band equalizer and foobar2000 has an 18 band equalizer.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #673 of 1,870
I just purchased the btr3 coming from btr1 (Ver. 2) I'm surprised with the sound quality, Definitely worth an upgrade from btr1. I just checked the comparison chart from their website and stated its the same amp/dac. I wonder why the sound is different? Anyone please enlighten me.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #674 of 1,870
The right side of the clip housing just broke on me. I wasn't aware when it happened but it was clipped to the inner breast pocket of a blazer when I unclipped it and noticed it felt a little off.

It's pretty much spent the past 3 weeks clipped to the headband of my V-Moda XS headphones, so I wasn't constantly clipping and unclipping it. I took it off the XS today to use with a pair of VE Monks with my blazer when I noticed the break.

I break plenty of clips. I clip stuff to my belt (phones, daps, bt receivers, whatever), and car bucket seats usually result in clip carnage. I recently broke the clip on my ES100, but it was my bad (and I've since made it clip-able again). I'm sure if I had the BTR3, I'd break it's clip too. But it does seem kind of odd that it broke on you, with your relatively gentle handling of it.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #675 of 1,870
I have a friend with BTR3 with clip broken by a drop too, seems to be the weak point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back