FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Aug 15, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,861 of 1,870
I am owner of BTR3K almost since its release date, using it daily.
I like it a lot, but I have not seen any new firmware since 1.3, which was released 2 or almost 3 years ago :frowning2:
It would be really nice to have periodic updates!
Some features are missing, 2 features I miss the most:
- Absolute Volume control, so I can control MacOS system volume directly buttons on BTR3K.
- built-in parametric equalizer and loading presents from AutoEq project
After this time, it is still robust and good device, however, I feel that battery capacity has shorten - it doesn't last full working day anymore with my headphones, only 6 hours (I think it was close to 8-9 hours previously). This is a problem to me since it may just shut down in the middle of some call (without any low battery notification in advance)

With all this, I think I want to update to some new product. Not sure if it is going to be BTR7 or Qudelix 5K or something else. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #1,863 of 1,870
One more month has passed - and battery has degraded much quicker than I thought.. it lasts only 4 hours now.
It is almost 2 year old device..
Is there any way to change battery?
Dear friend,

You could try to find a similar battery in Aliexpress or Ebay and replace the battery by yourself. Or consider whether sending back to us for repair.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 20, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,864 of 1,870
Dear friend,

You could try to find a similar battery in Aliexpress or Ebay and replace the battery by yourself. Or consider whether sending back to us for repair.

Best regards
Today I noticed that one side of a backplate somehow popped up. I tried to put it back but it didn't "close". So I took it away to glue it again.
I noticed that the battery is swollen so much, that the cover (backplate) doesn't close anymore :slight_frown:
Oh no :frowning2: I thought it has just degraded, but not swollen.
This happened in less than 2 years of usage (bought it in 11.2021) :sob::tired_face:
Seems the battery is not easily replaceable (connections need to be soldered, not easy to find such battery), so I won't use the device for safety reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_2609 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2609 Large.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,865 of 1,870
Today I noticed that one side of a backplate somehow popped up. I tried to put it back but it didn't "close". So I took it away to glue it again.
I noticed that the battery is swollen so much, that the cover (backplate) doesn't close anymore :slight_frown:
Oh no :frowning2: I thought it has just degraded, but not swollen.
This happened in less than 2 years of usage (bought it in 11.2021) :sob::tired_face:
Seems the battery is not easily replaceable (connections need to be soldered, not easy to find such battery), so I won't use the device for safety reasons.
Thats exactly what happened to my first BTR3K. I actually found another battery and was able to solder it in, and get another year or so out of the device. I remember that finding a suitable battery (size-wize) was very difficult. I didn't bother after the second battery died - I just bought another BTR3K :)

Personally I don't think two years (of very heavy use in my case) is too bad for a tiny device like this.

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,866 of 1,870
Thats exactly what happened to my first BTR3K. I actually found another battery and was able to solder it in, and get another year or so out of the device. I remember that finding a suitable battery (size-wize) was very difficult. I didn't bother after the second battery died - I just bought another BTR3K :)

Personally I don't think two years (of very heavy use in my case) is too bad for a tiny device like this.
Okay, I see. Thanks for info! I agree, 2 years is fine for such device.
Have you tried to use device without battery? Will it work? I think I can use it just as USB-DAC, but do not know, if it is going to work if I cut wires to the battery (so at least I can close the lid)
If this is a common problem, I suggest FiiO to improve battery replacement in newer versions of BTR - so it is user replaceable :)
I don't think I will be able to fix the issue - as shipping just battery without device over postage is not allowed inside EU, so even if I find battery somewhere in Aliexpress, etc - delivery is a problem.

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,867 of 1,870
UPD. I cut the battery wires - so now my BTR3K will be used only in USB-DAC mode (or well.. I can plug in powerbank to it haha)
I decided not to hassle with battery replacement.
End of story.
Really sad that battery has swollen in 2 years and there is no way to replace it by user.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,868 of 1,870
My BTR3K started failing within 2-3 months; right channel audio would repeatedly cut out across multiple cables, devices and headphones. Thankfully was able to return it for a full refund after some back and forth with Amazon. Hugely disappointed, as for the first month or so it was a huge improvement over the old cheap adapters I'd been using. Might try a Qudelix 5K or maybe a BTR5 next.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #1,869 of 1,870
My BTR3K started failing within 2-3 months; right channel audio would repeatedly cut out across multiple cables, devices and headphones. Thankfully was able to return it for a full refund after some back and forth with Amazon. Hugely disappointed, as for the first month or so it was a huge improvement over the old cheap adapters I'd been using. Might try a Qudelix 5K or maybe a BTR5 next.
Both Qudelix 5K and BTR5 sound very different from BTR3K, much more dry and analytical.
I couldn't find another Bluetooth adapter witch such natural sound signature as BTR3K, so I bought a few more :jecklinsmile:
You may want to take another chance with BTR3K, it was probably just bad luck.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #1,870 of 1,870
Your mileage may vary. But I read battery can bulge because of passing gas. So even though it is prolly toxic, I leaked the gas using a pin in an inconspicuous location. And no bomb went off. And most importantly the battery still worked, just slimmer than before. But unfortunately someone is bothering me in my neighborhood right now and they broke my tablet and battery altogether, so I have no proof. But you can search the internet for the proof. And do you know the difference between btr3 vs btr3k or akm4376 vs akm4377 version?

Edit: nevermind, at 25mW it is shameful to be caught in public when ka13 exist. From a value proposition, I will save up for Q15.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back