FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #1,186 of 1,870
but there is absolutely no need to worry about formats, like Apt-X and LDAC variations, because you are not going to hear any difference between SBC (A2DP) and the higher ones..

Heavily implies you did not try the other codecs and you are saying it doest matter as there is no difference....

There is a statement that BTR3's electronics is on a level that you cannot hear difference between the SBC and higher quality codecs
Then there is clearly something wrong with your hardware or device you are using if you are not hearing any difference.
The difference should be night and day between SBC and LDAC.
Are you certain that the device and app you are using is actually using and outputting in the correct format each time you test, via looking at the HCI log?

What is the player device that u are using to play your music with? If is an Apple device, I believe those only do SBC/AAC. (I do not use Apple) .
My Pixel 3 (and my old 1st gen Pixel XL) u can toggele the BT codec used in the Dev settings and when u do so, the change is instant, but I do have to restart my player app, PowerAmpv3 and confirm that it is outputting in the correct format.
Also, what app are you using if you are using a smartphone....many apps do not support Hi-Res Output hardware output or the better BT codecs. I have noticed that some app, or stock player apps, they seem to force output to the lower codecs, even though the system and the BTR3 indicate the use of AptX or LDAC. However, when i read the BT HCI log output, it shows the use of SBC when that app plays music, and LDAC when I use PowerAmp (configured correctly)

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,187 of 1,870
Heavily implies you did not try the other codecs and you are saying it doest matter as there is no difference....

So this is the end of our conversation. Have a nice day.

"The sound quality is adequate, but there is absolutely no need to worry about formats, like Apt-X and LDAC variations, because you are not going to hear any difference between SBC (A2DP) and the higher ones... the limit of its electronics is somewhere there."

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,188 of 1,870
So this is the end of our conversation. Have a nice day.

"The sound quality is adequate, but there is absolutely no need to worry about formats, like Apt-X and LDAC variations, because you are not going to hear any difference between SBC (A2DP) and the higher ones... the limit of its electronics is somewhere there."

Lets try to rein this in a bit and focus more one the main topic then.

U are saying that the BTR3 is designed and has a "electronics limitation" somehow as such that you can not tell any difference in using the other codecs.....and I am saying that should not be the case and I am pretty sure that Fiio them selves would agree with me on that point.

If that is in fact what you are hearing, no difference in the use of the better codecs, then something is possibly up with your source hardware/software electronics (not the BTR3)support limiting use of the other codecs properly.
You are claiming that the BTR3 is the limiting factor, but without further expansion on that point, like what other hardware BT DAC adapter you have used that you CAN hear a difference in codecs on, or raw spectrum analysis output compares of the audio signals from each codec while in use.....it just boils down to a the fact that you say u can't hear any difference, and I (and others) can hear a difference and that difference, many folks have widely different options on if it sounds "better" or not..
Your experience is not typical, hence why it confuses me so and wanted to try and learn as to why you are saying as you say.

But if you do not care...and your sound quality is acceptable for you...then so be it.

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,189 of 1,870
"If that is in fact what you are hearing, no difference in the use of the better codecs, then something is possibly up with your source hardware/software electronics (not the BTR3)support limiting use of the other codecs properly."

I can here differences with my desktop setup and a Denon headphone (using the same computer), but they are on a different level, and that is a different story.

You are so inexperienced, you don't know how to understand that one electronics is different from other. If there were no "limitations", there were no difference between sounds of a worse and a better DAC and amplifier... It simply means a certain level of quality and price of the circuit and its parts (plus/minus some spirit and knowledge).

I have other devices for sound quality. This one is for commuting and working, and it is really good in its category.

Sorry for the post beyond the finish line.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,190 of 1,870
I can here differences with my desktop setup
How is this so?
I have only ever been able to get Win 10 to connect to BT devices with SBC or AptX. I have yet to find anyway to get AptxHD or LDAC support on Win 10 and my research shows many folks asking the same thing with no real solutions?
(Using a program called "Bluetooth Tweaker" that tells me what codecs the OS and the device is using and also what it fully supports.)
Or are you using a different OS?
What BT adapter and drivers are you using?

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,191 of 1,870
How is this so?
I have only ever been able to get Win 10 to connect to BT devices with SBC or AptX. I have yet to find anyway to get AptxHD or LDAC support on Win 10 and my research shows many folks asking the same thing with no real solutions?
(Using a program called "Bluetooth Tweaker" that tells me what codecs the OS and the device is using and also what it fully supports.)
Or are you using a different OS?
What BT adapter and drivers are you using?

You can use Avantree Oasis Plus to transmit aptx HD to BTR3 from your PC.

Apr 24, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #1,194 of 1,870
Hello and thank you for accept on this forum.
I received my BTR3 yesterday.
Paired my Samsung S9... the sound level is very low. Paired with iPhone, all ok. Pairing again with S9was solving the problem.
Today i connected again the BTR3 and S9... low sound level. Disconnected S9, connected iphone, disconnected iphone and connected back the S9... solved the problem.
Went through all the codecs and BT settings in Developer mode, but no changes.
It is too much for me. I will send it back.
Does anyone know about Audioengine B1? Is it better or at least equal on sound quality with this BTR3?
I don't need the internal battery as i will use it in my car.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #1,195 of 1,870
Hello and thank you for accept on this forum.
I received my BTR3 yesterday.
Paired my Samsung S9... the sound level is very low. Paired with iPhone, all ok. Pairing again with S9was solving the problem.
Today i connected again the BTR3 and S9... low sound level. Disconnected S9, connected iphone, disconnected iphone and connected back the S9... solved the problem.
Went through all the codecs and BT settings in Developer mode, but no changes.
It is too much for me. I will send it back.
Does anyone know about Audioengine B1? Is it better or at least equal on sound quality with this BTR3?
I don't need the internal battery as i will use it in my car.

I've the Audioengine B1, its good with connectivity. SQ wise its a littler more dynamic and punchy but with BT, the SQ wouldn't be as good as wired in. I was keen on the BTR3 until i saw your post..

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,197 of 1,870
You don't understand. Volume it's at maximum on both phone and BTR3. But it's not working at high volume until i pair it again 2-3 times. After that, if i'm not using it for a few hours, when i use it again, it's low volume. I unpair and pair it again and voila: high volume without making any other settings on volume or something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back