FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Oct 23, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #542 of 1,870
"currently"? Does that mean it might be possible to be implemented in the future? Or will the device need to have a driver installation (so it won't be plug and play like it is now) for that to be available?
Dear friend,

We will try to check whether this function can work via firmware update in the future.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #543 of 1,870
P
Dear friend,

We will try to check whether this function can work via firmware update in the future.

Best regards
Please, we're waiting for an easier, much more stress free than the current steps too.
Fiio music integration would be very nice.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #544 of 1,870
Tried using the Fiio Music app the first time, it surprised me when the led changed to green when playing music using the app, I checked and it seems to be LHDC, activated because I opted the HWA option on it seems.

My question is:

1) what's the difference between it and LDAC? Which is better? I saw some pages explaining things, it says LHDC has 900kbit throughput, how come is that activable only by using an app?

2) how come I can no longer control the music playback using the BTR3 anymore? Only volume is controllable when LHDC is on.

3) different one, but still from the app, how to change the source option from automatic to manual? I downloaded the PDF ver of BTR3 Quick start guide and it said I can change it via "the app" ... Where?

4) using USB DAC function from phone->type c to a adapter->BTR3 is so quiet.. Way quieter than Bluetooth pathway. Why's that? Can I somehow mend this? It's barely driving my K702 Right now. Tried on both Spotify and Fiio music app, so quiet.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #546 of 1,870
sup peeps nice to see the BTR3 out and about. Question:

My mobile rig rn is my iPhone SE as source, BTR1 + dt770i. Mostly Spotify on max quality. Sounds pretty legit.

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to the BTR3 for that AAC support? Not really needing more power.

Could it also replace my E17K as my desktop dac-amp?

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #547 of 1,870
sup peeps nice to see the BTR3 out and about. Question:

My mobile rig rn is my iPhone SE as source, BTR1 + dt770i. Mostly Spotify on max quality. Sounds pretty legit.

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to the BTR3 for that AAC support? Not really needing more power.

Could it also replace my E17K as my desktop dac-amp?
You'll get better range, better battery life, more stable connections at the very least. Those alone are reasons enough to upgrade. I come from the BTR1 as well, so this is first hand experience.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #548 of 1,870
Nathan aka @shigzeo takes a close look at the BTR3 on today's article. He says it nails the basics: signal quality, noise floor, loaded and unloaded signal quality, and now APTx/LDAC support. He finds it to have great battery life and build quality but the Bluetooth signal catching quality... he's not a big fan of that.
https://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-btr3/

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #549 of 1,870
Tried using the Fiio Music app the first time, it surprised me when the led changed to green when playing music using the app, I checked and it seems to be LHDC, activated because I opted the HWA option on it seems.

My question is:

1) what's the difference between it and LDAC? Which is better? I saw some pages explaining things, it says LHDC has 900kbit throughput, how come is that activable only by using an app?

2) how come I can no longer control the music playback using the BTR3 anymore? Only volume is controllable when LHDC is on.

3) different one, but still from the app, how to change the source option from automatic to manual? I downloaded the PDF ver of BTR3 Quick start guide and it said I can change it via "the app" ... Where?

4) using USB DAC function from phone->type c to a adapter->BTR3 is so quiet.. Way quieter than Bluetooth pathway. Why's that? Can I somehow mend this? It's barely driving my K702 Right now. Tried on both Spotify and Fiio music app, so quiet.
Dear friend,

The volume of the BTR3 and your mobile phone is only controlable when LHDC is on?
The manual and automatic switch will be added in later update for the BTR3 firmware and FiiO Music APP.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #550 of 1,870
Again, you not even reading my answer. It has nothing to do with balanced or not. SE846 doesn't need more voltage. It needs current. And a lot of it. Even ES100 is below specs. BTR3 is twice lower maximum current ability. Because it has only ONE amp.

P.S. Just if you don't know - ES100 works in dual mono and in tandem mode. So balanced or unbalanced - it can use both amps at the same time.

P.P.S. And anything high impedance needs voltage which single amp also can't provide.

The BTR3 is perfect for the SE846, current being the main issue or not. It also hisses next to not at all, less in fact than any high-end portable DAP unit I've tested in the last year.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #551 of 1,870
Having read concern raised by SubMash when using with low sensitivity IEM's I still decided to give it a go after having tried an ES100 at about £89 but not being happy with controls/materials or design (but did sound great with my SE846's & HD660S over LDAC).

The BTR3 came today for ~ £49.50 (£55 on Amazon) and basically the build quality is everything the ES100 isn't, super easy to operate with phone or as a DAC to PC, and initial impression is it sounds as good as the ES100 via 3.5mm jack. Only tried with my SE846's but will try with my HD660S tonight. No background noise I can detect with the SE846's either. The V30+ wired using QUAD DAC does still sound a bit better but can't say there is a lot in it when listening to Spotify or Tidal MQA tracks. Looks like it will be great as an alternative to using my V30 wired or better than most other phones audio.

Nice upgrade to my old HS3000 AptX BT adapter (which still actually works with around 4hrs of battery after around 5 or 6 years.

Unless you need balanced, app tweaking and longer battery life I'd go for the ~£55 BTR3 over the ~£90 ES100, especially if design/materials/looks are important to you. Oh, or need to drive more demanding headphones.

I tried the other lower BT modes including SBC, AAC, aptX but AptxHD and especially LDAC set to Optimised 990kbps sound noticeably better.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #552 of 1,870
To be honest, the BTR3 does sound better than ES100 to me. I feel the ES100 sounds a bit too unnatural, timbre feels off, like the sound is over-processed to make it appear clean. BTR3 is better in this regard, with noise level as good as the ES100 while sounding more natural.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #553 of 1,870
Dear friend,

The volume of the BTR3 and your mobile phone is only controlable when LHDC is on?
The manual and automatic switch will be added in later update for the BTR3 firmware and FiiO Music APP.

Best regards
Yeah using HWA LHDC on, volume is only controllable from the BTR3, and the app did warn about that happening,

I'm just wondering whether it'd be permanently that way or will Fiio add the volume control + track playback control function when LHDC is on, later in the future.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #554 of 1,870
Having read concern raised by SubMash when using with low sensitivity IEM's I still decided to give it a go after having tried an ES100 at about £89 but not being happy with controls/materials or design (but did sound great with my SE846's & HD660S over LDAC).

The BTR3 came today for ~ £49.50 (£55 on Amazon) and basically the build quality is everything the ES100 isn't, super easy to operate with phone or as a DAC to PC, and initial impression is it sounds as good as the ES100 via 3.5mm jack. Only tried with my SE846's but will try with my HD660S tonight. No background noise I can detect with the SE846's either. The V30+ wired using QUAD DAC does still sound a bit better but can't say there is a lot in it when listening to Spotify or Tidal MQA tracks. Looks like it will be great as an alternative to using my V30 wired or better than most other phones audio.

Nice upgrade to my old HS3000 AptX BT adapter (which still actually works with around 4hrs of battery after around 5 or 6 years.

Unless you need balanced, app tweaking and longer battery life I'd go for the ~£55 BTR3 over the ~£90 ES100, especially if design/materials/looks are important to you. Oh, or need to drive more demanding headphones.

I tried the other lower BT modes including SBC, AAC, aptX but AptxHD and especially LDAC set to Optimised 990kbps sound noticeably better.

Adding to above, now just tried it with my 150 Ohm HD660S and it fed them nicely too, but have to have volume at nearly max if I want to listen loud. Normal listening for me with the HD660S would be 2-3 steps under max. I'd think it would struggle with anything much more demanding. Saying that, I have no need to listen to my headphones over Bluetooth from my phone and would always use them wired at home. The BTR3 is for use with my SE846 (used 90% of the time) if I need to be wire free from the phone or my old Klipsch X10i (exercise/bike commute earphones).

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #555 of 1,870
Nathan aka @shigzeo takes a close look at the BTR3 on today's article. He says it nails the basics: signal quality, noise floor, loaded and unloaded signal quality, and now APTx/LDAC support. He finds it to have great battery life and build quality but the Bluetooth signal catching quality... he's not a big fan of that.
https://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-btr3/
Read that, I think he has a case of faulty device, I have no experience of such bad connections like what he's describing in the article at all. Also at least 2 other commenter there also stated the same as me.

I think he should ask for a different device or buy one off the self somewhere just to check whether the connection issues persist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back