FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #406 of 1,870
hmm I just got mine today and have noticed that the bass output is quite a bit lacking when compared to the USBC connection on my xiaomi mi mix 2s...

I'm using UE 900s iems for initial testing.

Anyone else notice the same? Is there an EQ app/setting? I couldn't find it in the FiiO music app.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #408 of 1,870
Hmm so more notes...

Stage and detail is really good. I think the lack of bass is just lack of overall power.

However, I'm tempted to buy the es100 instead.
I find it hard to believe that it would have any trouble driving a 30Ω IEM. I was using the BTR3 last night and thinking how full the bass sounded. That said, I have never heard the UE 900 s.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #409 of 1,870
I find it hard to believe that it would have any trouble driving a 30Ω IEM. I was using the BTR3 last night and thinking how full the bass sounded. That said, I have never heard the UE 900 s.

I also tried it with my dt770 pro 80ohm.. definitely not enough juice there, but better on the bass. But the amount of bass is pretty neutral for a normally bass heavy phone. It's close to what the ue900s sounded like when it was plugged into the phone.

The ue900s sounds pretty clean like a good studio monitor. Very very neutral.

Loudness wasn't an issue with the 900s though. Your ears would bleed before you get close to maxing out. It just lost all the oomph of full rounded sound. I could turn on the Android EQ and bass boost it to a tolerable level, but I feel like I shouldn't have to do it for a device that's supposed to be hi-fi...

I was kind of wondering if it was some weird EQ that was applied, so I was hoping the app would have the settings. Guess it's not ready yet.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #410 of 1,870
I also tried it with my dt770 pro 80ohm.. definitely not enough juice there, but better on the bass. But the amount of bass is pretty neutral for a normally bass heavy phone. It's close to what the ue900s sounded like when it was plugged into the phone.

The ue900s sounds pretty clean like a good studio monitor. Very very neutral.

Loudness wasn't an issue with the 900s though. Your ears would bleed before you get close to maxing out. It just lost all the oomph of full rounded sound. I could turn on the Android EQ and bass boost it to a tolerable level, but I feel like I shouldn't have to do it for a device that's supposed to be hi-fi...

I was kind of wondering if it was some weird EQ that was applied, so I was hoping the app would have the settings. Guess it's not ready yet.
What is your regular source for 900s?

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #412 of 1,870
I want to connect the BTR3 to a PC as a USB DAC, will I then be able to pair my Sony WH-1000XM3 to it using AptX HD? The BTR3 essentially has to be a USB DAC to AptX transmitter, support for the ES100 told me it can't act as a transmitter so I'm hoping the BTR3 will fit the bill.

the USB DAC portion of it will also need to support sending the microphone from the headphones as an input to the PC.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #413 of 1,870
Usually mobile phone or laptop directly. No eq turned on when connected through these ways either.

I'd almost say it's like a high pass filter applied when using the bt3. Something like 60-80hz and above.
Is it possible that the BTR3 is just more transparent but you're used to the more "coloured" sound of your phone and laptop?

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #414 of 1,870
Is it possible that the BTR3 is just more transparent but you're used to the more "coloured" sound of your phone and laptop?

I have Bluetooth setup in my car and it has plenty of bass there (stereo tuned for SQ, flat response since I compete)

Will do some more testing today. The es100 just came in the mail. Nothing like Amazon same day delivery!

If I bump up all frequencies below 100 in the eq, the sound appears to be better. Maybe will also test Bluetooth audio from an apple device.

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #415 of 1,870
I'm torn...

The FiiO BTR3 has so much detail.... definitely a great piece of hardware. Would LOVE to see how much more I can get out of it with the eventual eq settings/presets. I can hear every instrument so clearly. It's just not meant for large power hungry cans. IEMs, no problem.

The features of the ES100 are crazy! It can also drive my dt770 pro cans at a reasonable volume without issue... Very impressed overall, but the hardware package itself isn't as premium feeling as the BTR3. The sound is a little less transparent as the BTR3, but it's still quite good.

Features vs sound quality....

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #416 of 1,870
Doing more a/b testing. I definitely like the sound profile of the BTR3 IF and ONLY IF, I crank the bass boost on max for the factory android snapdragon processing (EQ is flat otherwise). For fun, I also used DAC mode on my PC to test. It's no better in bass response.

If I didn't hear the BTR3 first, I probably would be 100% happy with the ES100. It just sounds so muddy in comparison... I'm also using best case scenario with a balanced cable.

Vocals are just phenomenal on the BTR3. Presence is fantastic.

Anyone find the track advance/back buttons to be a little odd being reversed? The - makes the track go forward and + makes it go backwards.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #417 of 1,870
I want to connect the BTR3 to a PC as a USB DAC, will I then be able to pair my Sony WH-1000XM3 to it using AptX HD? The BTR3 essentially has to be a USB DAC to AptX transmitter, support for the ES100 told me it can't act as a transmitter so I'm hoping the BTR3 will fit the bill.

the USB DAC portion of it will also need to support sending the microphone from the headphones as an input to the PC.

No, it's not a transmitter. It's a DAC and Bluetooth receiver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back